GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Does anybody remember this game? Does anybody WANT to? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
The other day I happened to recall a game. I only played it once at a convention nearly 25 years ago, but it created a lasting impression--mainly because the GM claimed it was the worst game ever published, and I wholeheartedly agreed. It's not in the database and I don't have enough information to enter it myself, but if somebody out there has heard of the game and has the needed info, you can make some GG even as you laugh at your entry.

The game was called King Kamehameha and was played on a very cheap plastic map depicting the big island of Hawaii. Players rolled a d6 and moved their pawns along a path which wound around the map, eventually ending in a loop of five spaces which I seem to remember were meant to depict the rim of a volcano. If you landed on another player you simply moved on to the next open space--unless you were in that final loop, in which case landing on someone else eliminated the landed-on player. The last surviving player was the winner.

That's right, folks--100% luck combined with almost 0% thematic flavor. Enter this game if you dare--

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of the game before, but the gameplay is vaguely reminicent of the stereotype of South Sea islanders throwing sacrificial victims into volcanoes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davepanzer wrote:
That's right, folks--100% luck

Yeah, but I bet you roll the dice often enough during the game for the luck to balance out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds almost like Mouse Trap, but at least with Mouse Trap you get the cool contraption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole throwing yourself into the volcano thing reminds me of Bitin' Off Hedz, a Cheapass game that would be slightly more strategic (but only slightly) than the game described.

Oddly enough, the first player to throw themselves into the volcano in Bitin' Off Hedz wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
The "roll and move" aspect sounds bad, but not as bad as the truely worst game ever, Pumpkin King:
www.boardgamegeek.com/game/19614
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually wouldn't mind trading for a set of the Pumpkin King, just for the bits (particularly the dice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds horrid, but it would have to really reach bottom then dig some to go lower than "The Cattlemen."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's right, folks--100% luck combined with almost 0% thematic flavor.

So it is like almost every roll and move game the Milton Bradley put out over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
You know, a game where one player played Kamehameha and the other played Maui, Molokai, and Oahu could be pretty darned interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The "roll and move" aspect sounds bad, but not as bad as the truely worst game ever, Pumpkin King:
www.boardgamegeek.com/game/19614

Naw, the WORST game I found at a thrift store, and was rejected by BGG for "not being enough of a game". It's called Telektonon and as far as I can tell, is board game primer to some bizarre cult. You use a giant board, turtles, pyramids and a crystal to communicate with Myan gods who were lovers, one which lives here on Earth, and the other on Mars. By communicating with these gods you will reveal prophecies. You must fulfill these prophesies in a set amount of time. If you do so, you (Yes you, the player) will start to learn telepathy. No chit. Not only will you learn telepathy, you are required to use it on other players in the later stages of the "game" As you continue playing, BTW did I mention you play in real time? And by real time I mean 1 day = 1 day (there are even certain days the rules forbid you from playing). Anyways as you progress in your telepathy skills, you will start predicting more and more important prophecys, which eventually will culminate in allowing you to save the world (yes, the real one, Earth), saving everyone from "false time". If you succeed in saving the world, you win.

I have yet to find a worse game, or wackier mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I saw a game like that volcano game at a con a short while ago, but it was renamed something like 'tempest'. Same thing - you move up, but if you're in the final ring and land on someone, they go back to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lyons Beck
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey man-- smell my finger!
mbmbmbmbmb
degamer wrote:
Naw, the WORST game I found at a thrift store, and was rejected by BGG for "not being enough of a game". It's called Telektonon and as far as I can tell, is board game primer to some bizarre cult. You use a giant board, turtles, pyramids and a crystal to communicate with Myan gods who were lovers, one which lives here on Earth, and the other on Mars. By communicating with these gods you will reveal prophecies. You must fulfill these prophesies in a set amount of time. If you do so, you (Yes you, the player) will start to learn telepathy. No chit. Not only will you learn telepathy, you are required to use it on other players in the later stages of the "game" As you continue playing, BTW did I mention you play in real time? And by real time I mean 1 day = 1 day (there are even certain days the rules forbid you from playing). Anyways as you progress in your telepathy skills, you will start predicting more and more important prophecys, which eventually will culminate in allowing you to save the world (yes, the real one, Earth), saving everyone from "false time". If you succeed in saving the world, you win.

I played that game a long time ago.

I won.

I became Lord God Master of Matter, Space & Time. sauron

To prevent anyone else from winning, I went back in time and changed the game to really suck, so no one would ever play it ever again.

These aren't the droids you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brave Sir Robin wrote:
degamer wrote:

I won.

To prevent anyone else from winning, I went back in time and changed the game to really suck, so no one would ever play it ever again.

But the turtles... WHY the turtles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
mbmb
rayito2702 wrote:
davepanzer wrote:
That's right, folks--100% luck

Yeah, but I bet you roll the dice often enough during the game for the luck to balance out.

mod +1 Funny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
degamer wrote:
Naw, the WORST game I found at a thrift store, and was rejected by BGG for "not being enough of a game". It's called Telektonon [...]

I laughed out loud. That had GOT to be the best game ever.

I just have to inform my Assassin-hating buddy about The pumpkin king…

Edit: I just invented a better game:

The first guy who walks to the moon wins!

Let's get gaming, folks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lyons Beck
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
degamer wrote:
Brave Sir Robin wrote:
degamer wrote:

I won.

See? I knew you were going to say that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The "roll and move" aspect sounds bad, but not as bad as the truely worst game ever, Pumpkin King

Sounds horrid, but it would have to really reach bottom then dig some to go lower than "The Cattlemen."

I'd have to nominate Global Survival. Imagine Monopoly, with less interesting options and taking longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
degamer wrote:

Because it's turtles... all the way down...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lyons Beck
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
degamer wrote:

DO NOT QUESTION THE TURTLE GOD
THE TURTLE GOD KNOWS ALL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bachelor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strictly Speaking, Global Survival has the lowest rating of all games with over 30 ratings.

Technically, it's the biggest looser...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Razincka
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Sounds like CandyLand with a volcano!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, some interesting other nominees here. Unfortunately, compared to King Kamehameha, they all have better flavor and/or better components.

And I'm still looking for more info on King Kamehameha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.