Subject: Rattlesnake City: Game One rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having been sent a copy of this for playtesting and demoing, I broke it out on Wendesday for what read like a pretty quick game.

We ended up with six players - Myself, Ron, Derek, Chris, Bob and Sammy.

With six players, every town is in use. I saw right away that the rulers weren't going to be much use - it was clear at all times who was closest to whom.

We were all new at the game (obviously), so we didn't entirely know our strategic options.

Derek chose towns first, Ron acted first.

A couple of notes:
Having a bank is as much a liability as it is an asset, as you are more likely to be robbed. Derek spent most of the game building up a huge number of Shot cards in hopes that it would deter us from robbing his bank. It worked. We ended up dynamiting the bank, instead.

We dynamited three out of the four banks. Due to the rampant bank robbery, we would frequently dynamite our own banks and would put banks in other player's towns. It meant that the fourth bank was worth a LOT of money, as all four Mines were in play. And Derek ended up drawing it, so we couldn't effectively assail him.

No-one managed to successfully complete a rail line between two Train Stations. I suspect that this was as much due to our not realizing how much money there was to be had as it was due to our constant aggressive use of dynamite.

Derek ended up winning the game - he got an early lead and an early arsenal, and then focused on drawing Action cards until the end of the game. He used these cards to force poker games on us. And to buy into other poker games.

In fact, whenever anyone started to gather a decent amount of money, Derek would challenge them to Poker (if he thought he could win).

Poker won the game for Derek, not the bank. In fact, I suspect that knowing when to play Poker or Rob a Bank is the key to victory in this game.

I get to play it again tonight and then (probably) again on Saturday. By then, I'll be able to give it a preliminary rating. So far, I do like it. If forced to rate it right now, it'd be a 6.5, leaning towards a 7. I see potential for a high 7. Time will tell.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.