Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Messick
United States
Jacksboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designedbyryno.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing research for Zombicide Colony, my campaign variant. I have only ever played so far by removing friendly fire completely. Because, I thought it was stupid thematically, and clumsy mechanically. But I was thinking on some player's experience on wanting more depth and reading years old conversations, and I'm starting to wonder if I should be using it.

I understand Black Plague changed the rules, and in a playtest trying to apply this before I brought it to the table with others, I found survivors dying more often if you have someone who wants to be risky at all at the table.

I would love to know what you guys think, I'm sorry if this has already been talked to death. But again, research. Plus, polls are fun, eh? I'm sure my poll won't cover everything, sorry about that. Thanks!

Poll: Zombicide Ranged Targeting Priority Poll
Do you use original Zombicide's ranged targeting priority rules as written?
Yep, I/we have no problems with it.
Yes, because it actually makes the game more strategic.
Yes, but I hate it and want to change.
No, it's stupid, so we only hit survivors on a miss.
No, it's stupid, so we only hit survivors on a 1.
No, it's stupid, so we took survivors out of our targeting priority.
No, it's stupid, so I came up with some completely different variant.
      55 answers
Poll created by ryno80

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cough/article/28721394cough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Messick
United States
Jacksboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designedbyryno.com
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
lol yes I know, I just thought it would be nice to capture this in a poll But credit where it's due to you - Reading this is what first got me to consider that the rule isn't as stupid as I originally presumed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryno80 wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
lol yes I know, I just thought it would be nice to capture this in a poll But credit where it's due to you - Reading this is what first got me to consider that the rule isn't as stupid as I originally presumed.

It wasn't actually initially my argument, but i can't find the original source (somewhere here in the forums). Nonetheless, i have adopted that stance without regret.

Edit: FWIW, the first time i read the rule i thought, "well that's stupid!" but i always choose to play games as-written before i go modifying them (because designers often have Good Reasons which aren't immediately obvious to first-time players), and found the rule-as-written to be nowhere near as horribly as it initially sounded, so never felt the need to modify it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is just too damn easy without this rule in place, so we leave it.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Crane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone every shot a AK-47? An Uzi? A shotgun? I think the rule of hitting survivors first just makes sense. Now add in everyone running around, zombies, zombies dogs. Someone dies if you shot at them. That all being said, the game is really easy even with that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:
The game is just too damn easy without this rule in place, so we leave it.

-shnar

This sums it up for me. The game could already stand to be more difficult for my taste and would be harmed by nerfs. If auto fail is bad, auto succeed is far worse. If you want to take the rule out, zombies need to be harder to kill, weapons need to be weaker, something else needs to give to rebalance the game.

I actually don't agree that the rule is unrealistic. I don't see a shotgun or submachine gun as a precision weapon, and I don't see said weapon being fired optimally while wearing roller skates or carrying a katana in the other hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really... Did we need to do this! Hopefully we all won't need to go into the details all over again.

Edit: I have voted for you though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Messick
United States
Jacksboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designedbyryno.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really surprised to see where the poll is at so far. It seems that more people are okay with the rule or even like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.