Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wingspan» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fan-Made European Expansion with New Mechanisms and Over 100 New Bird Powers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m a big fan of Stonemaier Games and of all things outdoors, so when this game was announced I was all over it. Here is something I designed for a bit of fun after having a great time playing Wingspan over the last couple of months. I had some ideas about some new bird cards and then got a bit carried away!

This is a fan-made expansion made only by me. I made it using photo-editing software – not with privately shared files – and the original graphic design on these cards comes from Wingspan (specifically graphic designer Christine Santana).

I’ve playtested this expansion a bunch at all different player counts and I’ve received some great feedback so far.

I have asked permission to upload all the files to the files section on Wingspan’s game page (https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/177584/smobs-fan-made-eur...). There are also full Automa rules there. Feel free to print and play and tell me what you think!

This fan-made expansion contains 2 modules: Chicks and the Habitat Tracks, and a new set of bird cards to be mixed in with the current set that includes a new type of power and many variations of current powers.

CHICKS AND THE HABITAT TRACKS

Whenever a player plays a bird in a habitat, the token on that habitat’s track advances 1 space. If anything is depicted in that space, the player who played the bird immediately gains that bonus.

If a habitat’s token advances to a highlighted space with a hatchling above the column, each player may discard 1 egg from any bird in that habitat to gain a hatchling on the bird it was discarded from.

There are 3 types of chick – hatchlings, nestlings, and fledglings.

At any time on your turn you may “grow” 1 chick in the habitat that is activated. Discard food matching the cost of a bird in that habitat with a hatchling on it to grow the hatchling to a nestling. If the bird with a new nestling has a ‘WHEN PLAYED’, this activates immediately.

Instead, you may choose a bird in that habitat with a nestling on it. Discard a number of bird cards equal to the number of food required to play the bird to grow the nestling to a fledgling.

• If a bird with a brown power and at least one nestling or fledgling is activated, you may repeat the bird’s power.

• If a bird has a pink power and at least one nestling or fledgling, it may now be triggered twice between turns when possible.

All chicks count toward the egg limit of each bird.

At the end of the game, score points on the depicted track for whoever has the most total nestlings and fledglings, in the same manner as you would score the 4th round goal on the green goal mat.

Hatchlings and nestlings are each worth half the points (rounded down) of the bird it is on at the end of the game. Fledglings are worth the points of the bird it is on at the end of the game.

We used the resources from scythe to represent the chicks, but anything could do. I like to imagine 3 different chick minis, with visual cues about their benefits/costs (round base = food cost, square base = card cost etc.).

If you like, you can completely ignore fledglings and just have the two levels of chick to simplify things.

PURPLE POWER CARDS

These cards each have two powers, an “ONGOING” power and a “WHEN PLAYED” power. When one of these bird cards are played, choose one of the two powers on the card. If you choose the “WHEN PLAYED” power, activate it as you would normally and ignore the “ONGOING” power for the rest of the game. If you choose the “ONGOING” power, ignore the “WHEN PLAYED” power and place an indicator token at the bottom of the card to indicate that the power is active. “ONGOING” powers are active for the rest of the game after the cost has been paid in full and the bird is placed in a habitat.

Some of my favourites:

You can see the rest over in the files section. There are 35 purple power cards, with 2 different powers each.

I had originally designed a player powers module and a bunch of bird cards with “END OF ROUND” and “END OF GAME” powers, but combined all of these ideas in some form into the purple power cards.

ADDITIONAL BROWN/PINK POWER CARDS

I designed a lot of these cards to increase indirect player interaction, while still keeping the friendly feel of the game with no direct conflict between players.

Some of my favourites:

You can see the rest over in the files section. There are 39 brown power cards and 8 pink power cards.

I tried to theme cards as best as I could, sometimes finding a bird that fits the mechanisms I designed, and sometimes coming up with mechanisms based on the birds’ real-life behaviour (examples in Common Curlew, Common Starling and Merlin).

It was really interesting to see how players changed what they do on their turn due to cards such as the long-tailed tit and white-tailed duck in play. Those were my favourite brown power cards and we really enjoyed playing with them.

Let me know what you think!
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, quick work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the habitat track and the chicks mechanics, but after a first reading, I'm a bit concerned with balance of the power cards. If a player get's lucky enough to get his hands on more than the other players he can destroy them.
I wonder if being able to have only one power card per habitat could help with this "issue".

But it's amazing! Thanks for sharing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
I really like the habitat track and the chicks mechanics, but after a first reading, I'm a bit concerned with balance of the power cards. If a player get's lucky enough to get his hands on more than the other players he can destroy them.
I wonder if being able to have only one power card per habitat could help with this "issue".

But it's amazing! Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks

When testing this I did not find that one player had a huge advantage if they had invested in purple power cards. They all have a cost which is proportional to the benefit you receive, so I have not found any problems with them so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zane H
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've got to say, having helped playtest a few versions of this over the past month I really am impressed at how seamlessly it adds to the already stellar Wingspan experience. The Habitat track adds a nice incentive to keep more of an eye on what other players are doing, and having different tracks for different player counts has really improved the balance.

I also really like the purple bird cards a lot, having a choice between an ongoing power and a one time effect gives them a lot of flexibility so you have more opportunity to fit them into a strategy, which feels really good.

Really great to watch this come together over the past month, well done Smob!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this community! Fantastic work, Sam. Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bobsledai
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome job! I'm even more excited to get my copy.

Couple of questions:

Common Chaffinch - what if three show the same face? Four? Five?

European Goldfinch - how do you avoid an infinite turn? Specify that it can only be used on other habitats?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobsledai wrote:
Awesome job! I'm even more excited to get my copy.

Couple of questions:

Common Chaffinch - what if three show the same face? Four? Five?

European Goldfinch - how do you avoid an infinite turn? Specify that it can only be used on other habitats?

Thanks

Thanks

Chaffinch - If 3 show the same face, 2 also share the same face so you’d still get the benefit. This is clarified in the file (that should be uploaded soon)

Goldfinch - this refers to the new habitat tracks, not action tokens, so no infinite turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ricker
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just felt the urge to leave this here... an excerpt from Monty Python's "Bookshop"

C: Yes...I wonder if you might have 'The Amazing Adventures of Captain Gladys Stoutpamphlet and her Intrepid Spaniel Stig Amongst the Giant Pygmies of Beckles'...volume eight.

P: (after a pause for recovery) No, we don't have that...funny, we've got a lot of books here...well, I musn't keep you standing here...thank you,--

C: Oh, well do, do you have--

P: No, we haven't. No, we haven't.

C: B-b-b-but--

P: Sorry, no, it's one o'clock now, we're closing for lunch--

C: Ah, I--I saw it--

P: I'm sorry--

C: I saw it over there! I saw it...

P: What? What? WHAT?!?

C: I saw it over there: 'Olsen's Standard Book of British Birds'.

P: (pause; trying to stay calm) 'Olsen's Standard Book of British Birds'?

C: Yes...

P: O-L-S-E-N?

C: Yes....

P: B-I-R-D-S??

C: Yes.....

P: (beat) Yes, well, we do have that, as a matter of fact....

C: The expurgated version....

P: (pause; politely) I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that...?

C: The expurgated version.

P: (exploding) The EXPURGATED version of 'Olsen's Standard Book of British Birds'?!?!?!?!?

C: (desperately) The one without the gannet!

P: The one without the gannet-!!! They've ALL got the gannet!! It's a Standard British Bird, the gannet, it's in all the books!!!

C: (insistent) Well, I don't like them...they wet their nests!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter kießling
Germany
flag msg tools
Hello I didnt find anything in the files section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddiabolo wrote:
Hello I didnt find anything in the files section?

Yeah sorry I have uploaded them but I believe they need to be approved first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've edited my main post to include the file link (https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/177584/smobs-fan-made-eur...) and also add a bit more design info on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter kießling
Germany
flag msg tools
Have you the file whith the New counting also as download and Do you have the back of the cards also as download?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddiabolo wrote:
Have you the file whith the New counting also as download and Do you have the back of the cards also as download?

Yeah I've also attempted to upload the file with the purple power cards, rules and habitat tracks but it seems to be very slow at being approved.

I play with them by slipping the new cards in front of a sleeved card so it is not possible to tell the difference from the back, but if you want the file for the back of the card it is officially available at the bottom of this file: https://app.box.com/s/xtwzcdxld63v57tkfbxwoacfwhfqpyu0/file/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roro delph
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wonderful work!!

Would you share the editable files so i can translate the game in french (in France the game will be released the 8th of march)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sakurazuka38 wrote:
Wonderful work!!

Would you share the editable files so i can translate the game in french (in France the game will be released the 8th of march)?

Thank you if you have access to the free editing software GIMP, I could privately share the files with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to keep spamming, but all of the bird cards have (finally) been uploaded and approved: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/177584/smobs-fan-made-eur...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Klemish
United States
Waukesha
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for this, awesome work. I was trying to download the card back file and I get this error “This shared file or folder has been removed.“
Is this just me? Or is anyone else having this trouble?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sammy77 wrote:
Thank you so much for this, awesome work. I was trying to download the card back file and I get this error “This shared file or folder has been removed.“
Is this just me? Or is anyone else having this trouble?
Thanks

It seems to be working for me... how about this one? (Click on update pack and scroll to the bottom to find the file for the back of the card) https://app.box.com/s/xtwzcdxld63v57tkfbxwoacfwhfqpyu0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Klemish
United States
Waukesha
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it’s working now. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Irving

msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smobolob wrote:
lorddiabolo wrote:

Yeah I've also attempted to upload the file with the purple power cards, rules and habitat tracks but it seems to be very slow at being approved.

I play with them by slipping the new cards in front of a sleeved card so it is not possible to tell the difference from the back, but if you want the file for the back of the card it is officially available at the bottom of this file: https://app.box.com/s/xtwzcdxld63v57tkfbxwoacfwhfqpyu0/file/...

Beautiful work! I am excited to try these, but I don’t understand how they are intended to be used; if you’re placing them in front of another sleeved card, doesn’t that mean you’re taking some regular cards out of the deck? So are they intended to replace some cards? Or are they just added to the full regular deck, and depending on the quality of the print they’ll look different from the commercial cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johann steinke
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible, that this expqnsion will be released officially?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jirving wrote:
smobolob wrote:
lorddiabolo wrote:

Beautiful work! I am excited to try these, but I don’t understand how they are intended to be used; if you’re placing them in front of another sleeved card, doesn’t that mean you’re taking some regular cards out of the deck? So are they intended to replace some cards? Or are they just added to the full regular deck, and depending on the quality of the print they’ll look different from the commercial cards?

Thank you for the kind words Indeed, unfortunately it does mean some cards are taken out of the deck. Every few games I switch around which cards the new ones are in (randomly) so that I do not know which cards are in/out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wan12345 wrote:
Is it possible, that this expqnsion will be released officially?

Thanks for the encouragement, Johann, but that's not up to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.