Subject: Game the Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Dee
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As someone who has not gotten round to playing yet, my only experience of actual game-play is watching the “Game the Game” YouTube video.

In this game, the cats win, and the woodland alliance and vagabond do poorly.

This does not seem to fit with what I am seeing in this forum, that the alliance and the vagabond are the strongest factions. So my question is, what happened? It did not seem to me that they were particularly targeted early on, so can anyone comment on what went wrong for those two factions in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
"it´s easier to see the difference when you´re sitting on the fence"
mbmbmbmbmb
While entertaining, I would not use this video to infer anything related to Root rules or strategy since their playthrough is riddled with numerous rules mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only clicked and jumped into a couple of places, but here's one thing I saw:

When the WA got his first base out, he used night actions to move one warrior and perform a suicide attack.

The better use is to accumulate warriors with the recruit action, then move them, then replace them with sympathy tokens. (Then revolt again if those tokens are left in place).

The WA gets an explosion in points by putting out those sympathy tokens towards the right on its player board. Without night actions, it tends to take a lot of cards. With night action, the Organize action allows WA to get those points without the cards.

So the Recruit/Move/Organize engine for WA is the points explosion near the end. Plus, the board is full of more cardboard near the end, so if someone leaves WA a possible revolt (only takes two matching cards in clearing with a sympathy token), it tends to be a lot of points with the Revolt Nuke goes off (kills everything in the clearing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bowen
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of this balance of power comes from new players. What I mean is that cats make obvious targets to new players whereas the vagabond and WA can be on the doorstep of winning and not appear like much of a threat to new players. As a result cats tend to be beat up on too much by new players and since the game is relatively new there have been a lot of inexperienced plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RP Standlee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'll echo what was said above: don't use this video to get any kind of real understanding of how the game works as they get so, so many rules wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was my first watch of a Root vid. It definitely got me enthusiastic about the game just before I got it.

But yes, after I got my copy and started reading the rules, I was like hmm... best to just blank out what I saw, and pretend I never saw it. Try to keep reading with a clean slate.

Despite that, it was fun to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game the Game is always full of rules errors. I've stopped watching them entirely for that reason. People used to give TableTop a hard time about mistakes, but GtG has turned rules errors up to 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r d
msg tools
Well, most people tend to play Root incorrectly the first few times after just reading the rules, that's why you see a lot of rules questions on here. No one's perfect.

Mechanically, the cats are the most straightforward, and the Woodland Alliance and Vagabond take a bit more understanding as to what you want to be doing.

So it makes sense for these results in a game of beginners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss TT. They weren't perfect, but they at least tried to get the rules right.

The best lesson you can learn from this video is: if you get some rules wrong, or if the players make rookie mistakes, the game will be unbalanced. This is fine if you're playing with friends, just accept that the first couple of games will be learning games as you figure out the different factions.

I don't think any faction is strictly stronger than the others, though. They're nicely balanced. Maybe the WA before the "fix" to the point distribution of the sympathy tokens, but it seems on par with the others now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.