Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastien Phaneuf
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to get your attention to a variant I submitted: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/26725. It is called the roborally career variant.

To play you just need to print for each player a "career sheet". Each games, you earn money that can be be used to buy Options available on a tech tree.

We played few "championship" of 5 games with my group and we had a blast customizing our robots to our need while gaining as much money as possible to win the championship.

Good luck with the variant and feel free to give me suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup for submitting a variant that has actually been played before it is submitted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got a few typos on your tech tree: Brakes (not Breaks); Mini-Howitzer is like a Pressor Beam, not a Tractor Beam; Superior Archive (not Supervisor Archive); and you've change the names of some of them.

Looks fairly good though.

A few comments:

I've seen many variants that give some kind of credit for kills. The problem with this is that it isn't necessarily clear who really deserves the credit. Say Squash pushes Twitch into Trundle's line-of-sight, who then does damage, locking a register. On the next turn, because of Twitch's fewer cards, he winds up going in a wierd direction which takes him into Hulk's path, who then pushes him onto a conveyor belt. Twitch has declared shut down because of his locked resisters, but is now on a conveyor belt which will carry him into a pit, which may not even happen until the following turn. With all the whacky stuff that can happen in this game, it's difficult to say who deserves the credit for a kill.

A strategy occurs to me with your variant:
Let's say you've got a 4-flag set up. Player A races to touch the flags. He gets $1 for touching each flag and $3 for winning, for a total of $7. Player B runs to the nearest Option Space, gets an option, and then just sits and spins for the rest of the game, collecting $1 each turn. If it takes more than seven turns for Player A to finish, Player B winds up with more money.

A question: Is the entire tech-tree available to each player individually? That is, if one player buys a particular option, is that option still available to other players (subject to the prerequisites)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work.

I think our club needs a RoboRally Career Competition in 2008!

Now where's that damn RoboRally emoticon? Ah this will do. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Phaneuf
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your interests in the variant. As you can see, this is a work in progress and some errors/typos are stil in the document. I will try to correct them as soon as possible.

- I change the name of some of the options so they fit better in the boxes. I will try to correct the typos though.

- A REAL kill is tough to get in roborally. For me a kill is when an action directly and immediatly kills another robot. You have a kill when

* you shoot another robot with a laser (causing lethal damage)
* you push another robot out of the board (even with a pressor beam)
* You inflict lethal damage with a Ramming Gear

Any kill that happens a few actions later but that is the result of one of your action is not considered a kill!

- You are absolutely right that earning 1$ for using an option space can lead to abuse. When we played with the Career variant no one of us used that rule to get easy money (because it is boring to do so). But I think that by changing the rule to:
1- The first time on an option space, you get 1 free option
2- Every other times on an option space, you can repair 2 damages

- We play with the entire tech tree accessible to all players. So 2 or more players can have the same set of options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.