Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A dungeon-crawler...without a dungeon master! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
Hey, I thought that Heroquest looked pretty cool, but based on the type of people that I game with, I realized that if we were to ever play it, I would have to be the dungeon master. I have no interest at all in taking this position upon myself. So basically I'm looking for a similar type game that doesn't require a dungeon master. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't give you an answer to your question, but here is a good place to start while others have some time coming to your aid:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/923

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone just posted about this not that long ago. Good thing I decided to tag it.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/210260
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Orph wrote:
Someone just posted about this not that long ago. Good thing I decided to tag it.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/210260

Thanks, that list really helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
ced1106 wrote:
OOP, but MageKnight: Dungeons would work.

aka. Washu! ^O^

And should be able to get it cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Geuss
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does it have to be coop? There are a ton of competitive ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May or may not be what you're looking for, but if you want something relatively short and fun, I highly recommend Dungeonquest...I never fail to have an absolute blast when it gets played, but it can be very brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clark
United States
Loudon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest, without a doubt, is what you are looking for based on your post.

It was even developed from Heroquest when Games Workshop took it over (first as Advanced Heroquest).

OOP and pricey on ebay, but totally worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MageKnight Dungeons is probably your best bet. Also, a game like Betrayal at House on the Hill has that feel, as well as Fury of Dracula and Last Night on Earth.

Also, I recently read a post about the Mythic RPG Game Master Emulator, a set of rules that allows you to play any RPG without a GM, and I think that could include Descent. It uses a table (The Fate Chart) with percentages that uses two values (agreed-upon likelihood, current game chaos level) to arrive at a target percentage for any given yes-no question, such as "Is there something coming down the hall?" or "Does the Guard know I'm not really drunk?". It combines these results with player-interpreted random events based on pairs of statements that include an Action/Adjective and a Subject (example: Furious, Relative) which you then interpret in the context of what's going on in the adventure. There are a set of simple sub-systems that allow players to have adventures on the fly or for GMs to whip up adventures with no preparation.

Here's a link to that product:
http://www.mythic.wordpr.com/page14/page14.html

They sell three things: a GM emulator, a complete RPG based on it with a bigger Fate Chart, and a supplement that helps extend the system to specific genres. It's cheap, less than $8 for the .pdf, or you can buy a print on demand version for I think around $15. I bought all three. Very cool system that lends itself to home brewed RPGs, or providing a "pseudo-GM" for adventure boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Aganazer wrote:
Does it have to be coop? There are a ton of competitive ones.

No, it doesn't need to be coop. Competitive ones would be great too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Drakborgen - Legenden" might be something. It's a remake of Dungeon Quest, you lay out random tiles, making a board, trying to reach the center where the dragon's hoard is. Some rooms might contain monsters, traps, treasure, etc. Standard and rather straight-on dice rules with one d12 only. Fight system is fantastic.

You can play it competitive, you can co-op, without a game master (If you wish, it's even nicely playable with a game master, provided someone wants to take that role). And, I might add, there are now English rules available here on BGG.

The game is Swedish. Maybe you can find it new even now. If you can't find it on eBay, try the Swedish auction site www.blocket.se, you can find it for $30 or lower.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.