Hide
5 Posts

Slither» Forums » Strategy

Subject: A short article on Slither rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Ploog
msg tools
I love Slither and it is my favorite connection game (along with Gonnect). And so I've written a few pages about the game. You can find the pdf here:

Slither (pdf file, 1+6 pages)

The intended audience is newcomers (so it starts with the rules) as well as Slither players although experts will certainly not find much new to them in these six pages.

Any feedback is extremely welcome. More details about that is on the first, extra page.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There are positions in which a player is unable to carry out a
turn. Such positions are extremely unlikely to occur in actual games. The
diagram shows a small, contrived example.
This is why the rules need a declaration about stalemates. Given the fact
that draws are otherwise impossible in SLITHER, it is most natural to regard
unability to move as a loss.

The official rule is that you must pass your turn if you have no moves available (but must make a move if you have one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ploog
msg tools
Luis: many thanks for this information; I didn't know. I still need to make up my mind on the issue. On the one hand, rule sets should certainly not be modified nilly-willy by would-be writers. On the other hand, Slither has a meandering history as far as rules go, sort of forcing us to make choices. Then again (third hand!), the issue is mostly moot, I reckon, because stalemates must be very, very rare.

By the way, one reason why I started this was the BGG thread from 2013 were Slither players complained about the game's opacity. From playing myself, I knew what they meant, but I thought that I might be able to support the game a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Ladder enabler is usually described as a ladder breaker in Go, might be better to use the same terminology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ploog
msg tools
Jugular wrote:
Ladder enabler is usually described as a ladder breaker in Go, might be better to use the same terminology.
I know, I'm a Go player

I pondered what to write, and I looked at it from the point of view of the player who wants to reach the bottom. But I realise that one can equally well say that the additional stone breaks the connection-preventing ladder of the player! So "ladder breaker" it will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.