United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb
A few Anglers have noticed that there is a page for this on the Game Crafter. This project is the last piece I am working on before the Launch on March 11th.

What Tournament Fishing: Dice is is a Module that replaces the 32-card Fight Deck in the game with 3 dice, coming with four large (4 x 8 in) reference sheets with the rules and charts about the modification.

This was actually the way the Reel Phase was originally designed and the fight deck came pretty recently. I love both versions and so I wanted to make it an optional addition to the game for those that might want to mix it up and chunk some dice when they Fish every once in a while!

To be clear, both versions will still work; the dice will just allow you to be able to choose which you want to play with each game.

If you are interested in this, would you be ok with referring to a chart to see which dice to roll for the Fish? One like this:

Or would you prefer to have all the cards replaced to where they show both versions? This would require about 50 cards to come along with this mod that you would just swap out in the core game (+3 in the expansion). But then you would hardly ever need to reference the chart.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was to buy the add on, I’d be fine with the reference sheets. Plus if you have more expansions in the future, there would be less confusion on how to print new fish fight icons for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hansen
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a wargamer, you know I love slingin dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the die symbols? Pop, snag, flip, and 3 blanks on each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan1974 wrote:
If I was to buy the add on, I’d be fine with the reference sheets. Plus if you have more expansions in the future, there would be less confusion on how to print new fish fight icons for you.

Yeah the overhead of running two different versions and keeping them compatible might be difficult.

For example, I want to add more fish to the lake deck in the future but then I might have to have an addendum to the chart. Which is messy.

Maybe I need to rethink this and focused on getting all the other stuff nailed down. And perhaps as a final icing on the cake once the game is fully expanded years from now, I could add the dice mod in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan1974 wrote:
What are the die symbols? Pop, snag, flip, and 3 blanks on each?

See above. 3 dice, one white, one orange, and a purple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice with the reference sheet is fine. Allows for future modularity as well by just swapping out the reference sheet.

Although for me, I do prefer the deck "as is" and wouldn't change anything. A player can take into account how many of each type of card are in the deck and do a bit of push your luck that isn't 100% dice roll random. It's a nice little layer of push your luck in a conscious way. I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve decided to hold off on making this available for now to wait for a future date once the game has been expanded quite a bit. I already have 2 more expansions finished that I will release around the new year. Lots of exciting content is coming for Tournament Fishing in the future!

But for now, it’s time to focus on this Crowd Sale.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So this will be happening at some point. The dice look very good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this expansion was going to just provide a reference sheet (seen in the post above) to port over everything, but instead I am going to add in 72 cards that replace the ones needed in the base game and expansions to make it compatible for either mode (Fight Cards or Fight Dice).

Here we see that at the bottom of the fish card, you now have the dice symbols on the bottom right side. This one tells you to roll all 3 of the fight dice and then if there are any blank results, re-roll those dice one more time (if they are blank again, that is fine).

For the player cards, I have put all the additions in purple text like this, along with the 3 dice symbols that essentially mean "Fight Dice".

Additionally, I have taken the liberty of balancing a few cards with the extra 9 slots that were open after all the necessary changes were made.

Here is an example of the new way in which the Swivels works:

Now instead of discarding the card, you get to return it to your hand, making the card much more useful.

Lastly, I added in "You may" on many of the attachments to make it more clear that it's an optional effect:

I plan to package this expansion into the new Tacklebox Box with dividers for an upcoming Crowd Sale in order to help bring the cost down for everyone. I may even add the Weather and Location expansion inside as well to make it a big box-like expansion just for the crowd sale.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Coyle
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's fine. However, I would like the wording on the cards to be consistently ordered. For example, with "Deep Set," all the words for the Fight Deck are stated, then the relevant language for the Fight Dice. However, for "Sharp Hooks," the Fight Dice wording cuts into the words relevant for the Fight Deck. Also, it took longer than I care to admit to determine that the word was "Ignore." I would try to avoid hyphenations if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimothyHalpert wrote:
I think that's fine. However, I would like the wording on the cards to be consistently ordered. For example, with "Deep Set," all the words for the Fight Deck are stated, then the relevant language for the Fight Dice. However, for "Sharp Hooks," the Fight Dice wording cuts into the words relevant for the Fight Deck. Also, it took longer than I care to admit to determine that the word was "Ignore." I would try to avoid hyphenations if possible.

I did it out of order like that on purpose since the attachment effects work differently than normal. If I had added it in on the end of the sentence, I probably would have had to say "You may discard this card to" again.

The hyphenation happens automatically, and personally, I don't like adding in "Enter" commands into text like that because they are hidden and can cause other issues later down the line (plus they have to be done manually). So I leave them in. Ideally, I try to avoid them, but it's not high on the list of priorities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Coyle
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this could work to be consistent? The bracketed text would be in purple.

Deep Set
Reel Phase: Discard any 1 FC and draw a new one to replace it or [Re-roll any 1 FD].

Sharp Hooks
Reel Phase: You may Discard this card a) to swap out any 1 FC with the top one of the discard pile or [b) to ignore RR].

Yeah, that makes sense about not liking to add Enter. I didn't know the hyphenation happens automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimothyHalpert wrote:
Maybe this could work to be consistent? The bracketed text would be in purple.

Deep Set
Reel Phase: Discard any 1 FC and draw a new one to replace it or [Re-roll any 1 FD].

Sharp Hooks
Reel Phase: You may Discard this card a) to swap out any 1 FC with the top one of the discard pile or [b) to ignore RR].

Yeah, that makes sense about not liking to add Enter. I didn't know the hyphenation happens automatically.

Based on your feedback (THANK YOU!) I changed these up to be more consistent. I also got rid of the purple text and just went with "or" _____.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Coyle
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it! Very clean, and I don't think there should be confusion (although reading through each changed card would confirm). For example, I don't think it's confusing for Jerkbait: one should not think that discarding a Fight Card would allow a Re-roll of a Fight Die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the dice be available for purchase separately (at some future date) for those who already own the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Coyle
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmy - this thread has more information on next steps regarding Fight Dice and other expansions: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/31768135#31768135.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
Will the dice be available for purchase separately (at some future date) for those who already own the base game?

Yes all the expansions will have a separate page too. I am just going to also combine them into a "big tacklebox" expansion, especially for a crowd sale, probably next month.

In your case, since you use 3 sets combined it may be tough since you would technically need 3 of the dice expansions to replace all the cards. Or, you could use something like the Sheet I made which basically reinterprets the effects that work on the fight cards and has a chart for what dice the fish roll. Either way you want to go, I'll make something work for your epic TF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking interesting! (Though I am personally unsure if I would prefer the dice to the cards.)

I would suggest making an icon that means "a die of any color" rather than including three icons every time. Games like Roll for the Galaxy and Favor of the Pharaoh do this. It allows for less visual clutter.

Also on the theme of visual clutter: if the die symbols were just the color cube without the sticker symbol, that would get the point across without overcomplicating things. Unless you intend for the rhino rod to only allow you to flip a white die if it has a green result, or an orange die with a yellow result, or a purple die's red result?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RockLobster wrote:
Looking interesting! (Though I am personally unsure if I would prefer the dice to the cards.)

I would suggest making an icon that means "a die of any color" rather than including three icons every time. Games like Roll for the Galaxy and Favor of the Pharaoh do this. It allows for less visual clutter.

Also on the theme of visual clutter: if the die symbols were just the color cube without the sticker symbol, that would get the point across without overcomplicating things. Unless you intend for the rhino rod to only allow you to flip a white die if it has a green result, or an orange die with a yellow result, or a purple die's red result?

I could also just write out "Fight dice". But I think adding the 3 icons looks cooler than text. Same with having the card back for "Fight card".

Also the icons on the dice are there because they look better than a simple white/orange/purple square with nothing on it.

Since the Fish cards have the same icons:

And cards also sort of teach what they mean by context:

I think this should work ok.

But I will think about it some more now that you brought it up. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Coyle
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg - do you prefer that the plural of the Fight Deck card back be apostrophe S instead of just S? I think the latter is more appropriate, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Working on a small 4 page rulebook for this expansion. Here is the first page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 2:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 3:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.