Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: Family is hooked on the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Johnson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
So on Sat morning I asked my 14yr if he wanted to try a board game. He asked what game and I told him Zombicide season 1. He slowly replied yes, he has played Black Plague and wasn't a fan but agreed to play because I had asked.

We played the little demo mission and before I had a chance to start cleaning up he said "Can we play the next one?" I said sure and we played the first 3 missions pretty quick. Then he talked his mom into playing a mission with us. On Sunday my wife and both boys (14yr & 17yr) played a mission, everyone really enjoyed the game I think we played 9 or 10 games over the weekend one of which the 14yr designed. It was a great time playing with the family.

Ordered season 2 and angry neighbors so they should be here this week. I ordered season 3 and Toxic mall last week so that will complete the full set. I don't mind spending the money for games we all enjoy and play, where else can we get this much time (15+ hours so far) of family time.

Today I'm downloading all the missions from the web site and plan on putting them in a binder. Plus checking out BGG to see what stuff we have on this site too.

  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin Frost
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome to hear! Now, a couple of suggestions. Introduce new zombie types one at a time, and after they are introduced, I’d recommend that you make all basic walkers and runners, “skinners”. Keeps it more thematic.

I also suggest not using zombivors at all, because it messes with the goal of not dying. But if you do, use my rule for zombivors.

When you become one, place a 6-sided dice on your character card, set to "6". Now, every turn after, turn the pips one value lower, so 6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4, and so on. Stop reducing the value when it hits 2.

Every turn, before you act, roll one die. If you roll equal or lower than the value shown, you stay in control of yourself. Fail the roll, and you become a zombie no longer under your control. You can choose a fatty or a runner.

Now, as a party, you can decide how close you want to stay to a Zombivor, or how long you think you can trust them. It prevents people purposely killing themselves. It also gives a very slim chance that the infected can hold on.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff. Success to you and your family continuing to game together.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In place of the Zombivor rules, in the past we have played that each slot on the Survivor's card can hold a wound card (so each player gets to carry 4 wound cards before being defeated by the final 5th).
It's an easy fix, and even thematic as the Survivor gets weaker with every wound and can carry less stuff.

Seems to have worked well for the more difficult Season 2 scenarios (where Zombivors were introduced). I just never liked the whole Zombivor thing.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin Frost
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
In place of the Zombivor rules, in the past we have played that each slot on the Survivor's card can hold a wound card (so each player gets to carry 4 wound cards before being defeated by the final 5th).
It's an easy fix, and even thematic as the Survivor gets weaker with every wound and can carry less stuff.

Seems to have worked well for the more difficult Season 2 scenarios (where Zombivors were introduced). I just never liked the whole Zombivor thing.


That's another way to go. Agreed, Zombivors were a really bad idea.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MtnFrost wrote:
I’d recommend that you make all basic walkers and runners, “skinners”. Keeps it more thematic.


And i recommend against it. Skinners add a level of fiddly found nowhere else in this otherwise elegant game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Johnson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
Thanks for the feed back everyone

We have been playing with the basic rules so far and planning on playing 5 or 6 more games just useing those but we have used a few of the newer Survivors. We looked at the Zombivor and my 14yr wants to use them but we have been putting it off for a while. Both those ideas might work for Zombivor maybe we will try those out later this week.


I'm so surprised the game was such a success with boys, we all like games but this is the most excited I have seen them over a game in years. Including xbox games.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of turning into a Zombivor when dying, we introduce a new character once an X is reached. Thematically, it's someone hiding out until found and joins the party.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend just sticking with the base game (Season 1).

I didn't really like the tiles in the Toxic Mall, and the Prison one wasn't as fun to play since most scenarios require one player to remain in the same room most of the game (to operate the jail doors). I also didn't like the complexity of the prison campaigns, and the Toxic Mall really turned me off with the Zombivor mechanic.

I liked the idea of the medieval era Zombicide and played a few sceanrios, but for me personally, I disliked the necromancer zombie. It was just another layer of rules that seemed needlessly added for the sake of "variety."

Just the vanilla Season 1 base set, is the best version IMO due to it's simplicity. When I started adding the other expansions, I didn't enjoy the game as much.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin Frost
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
I'd recommend just sticking with the base game (Season 1).

I didn't really like the tiles in the Toxic Mall, and the Prison one wasn't as fun to play since most scenarios require one player to remain in the same room most of the game (to operate the jail doors). I also didn't like the complexity of the prison campaigns, and the Toxic Mall really turned me off with the Zombivor mechanic.

I liked the idea of the medieval era Zombicide and played a few sceanrios, but for me personally, I disliked the necromancer zombie. It was just another layer of rules that seemed needlessly added for the sake of "variety."

Just the vanilla Season 1 base set, is the best version IMO due to it's simplicity. When I started adding the other expansions, I didn't enjoy the game as much.


I want to second this, but with a couple caveats. I think the different kinds of zombies can be fun to mix things up (ranged vs melee). Same with the different survivors you get. But beyond that, I really agree.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
I didn't really like the tiles in the Toxic Mall, and the Prison one wasn't as fun to play since most scenarios require one player to remain in the same room most of the game (to operate the jail doors).


i'm going to agree with that but add that the provided scenarios of all Seasons can be entirely ignored. Maybe 10% of my Zombicide sessions have been with published scenarios, as it's so easy to create generic ones on the fly. The S2 Berserker zombies and Toxic zombies from the Mall synergize well because one has to be killed up close and one from afar, making mixed groups of them far more challenging than standard zombies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
warhawk77 wrote:

Today I'm downloading all the missions from the web site and plan on putting them in a binder. Plus checking out BGG to see what stuff we have on this site too.



They released 2 compendium books with Campaigns and a good few of the missions from the website are in them. If you were interested in that. There are some fun players made scenarios for sure.

Great to hear the entire family enjoys the game. Its a good time!!

Season 3 rules and base sets are our favorites and we liked the helicopter missions.

Mall and Prison were ok, but sometimes the weird abstraction for line of site and orthagonal directions made it feel wrong in the open tiled areas. But the zombies and the survivors were good from this.

We liked to use the Lost Zombivor rules (we don't allow players to turn) so that we have some extra tough Zombies to kill aside from the Abom.

Zombie Dogs, Crows are a nice addition to mix it up occasionally.

Enjoy,

~Will
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Messick
United States
Jacksboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designedbyryno.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the compendiums are great! They include all of the web missions plus a whole lot more including mini campaigns and tips on how to assemble decks to tweak difficulty.

Book - Zombicide Compendium #1 - Missions, Campaigns & Designers Secrets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MHVQHP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WN...

Zombicide Compendium 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KU68PQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TP...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Johnson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
Floydski wrote:
warhawk77 wrote:

Today I'm downloading all the missions from the web site and plan on putting them in a binder. Plus checking out BGG to see what stuff we have on this site too.



They released 2 compendium books with Campaigns and a good few of the missions from the website are in them. If you were interested in that. There are some fun players made scenarios for sure.

Great to hear the entire family enjoys the game. Its a good time!!

Season 3 rules and base sets are our favorites and we liked the helicopter missions.

Mall and Prison were ok, but sometimes the weird abstraction for line of site and orthagonal directions made it feel wrong in the open tiled areas. But the zombies and the survivors were good from this.

We liked to use the Lost Zombivor rules (we don't allow players to turn) so that we have some extra tough Zombies to kill aside from the Abom.

Zombie Dogs, Crows are a nice addition to mix it up occasionally.

Enjoy,

~Will



I found the two PDF books of official and player created missions here on the site so that is a huge help but will look for the compendiums also.

The zombie dogs and crows look nice going to see if I can get those too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crowz are available on Amazon, last I checked. Dogz & Dog Companions might be tough to find.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Johnson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
I found zombie dogs but your right companions I can't find online but will look here on this site might get lucky.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.