6 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: Considering to buy Sword & Sorcery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Law
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm considering this game to play with my wife and daughter.
Here are my current likes and dislikes

Played Mageknight twice with friends who are experienced gamers. I love it, thought brilliant. I shall play it with them, but won't get it for the family for another year or two. Might be a bit too complex at the moment.

I own Runebound 3rd edition and I'm not too keen on it. (we have tried the finding the cure expansion, and the main quest to kill the dragon. I just feel there is something lacking in it. I need to sell it.

I own zombicide black plague and I quite like it.

Played Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game and didn't really like it much.

Any thoughts here most welcome.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sword & Sorcery is somewhere in the middle between Mage Knight and Zombicide, I would say, probably a bit closer to Mage Knight in terms of complexity.

Mage Knight is fairly unique with its deterministic approach and puzzly nature (Gloomhaven would be the closest from todays "dungeon crawler" style board games). Sword & Sorcery is more traditional with dice rolling, but not quite so simple as Zombicide.

In my opinion it is one of the better games in the genre and surely worth a closer look. The character development is great and the gameplay is fun. It won't offer the amount of replayability you would get from Mage Knight, because it is more story-based, and once you have played through a scenario once or twice, you know the surprises, which will lower the replay value, obviously.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think to give you a good answer, it would help to have a bit more of the reasons why you didn't like a game like Zombicide or Wrath of Ashardalon (those are the two with the most direct similarities to S&S... although I think S&S is far better than both!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
When compared to something like Zcide or Massive Darkness, both of which I own enjoy, S&S is much more cluttered and a somewhat more complex game on the table.

The complexity in S&S comes primarily from the sheer amount of minutiae that requires tracking and cross-referencing.

But it's all there for a reason, and serves to lubricates the enemy AI which I feel is one of the things that stands out about S&S in addition to the depth of story.

The D&D board games, are okay, but they were pretty clearly meant initially as primers for 4e in my opinion, which means that the games play very skirmishy, with little real story. The enemy AI is uninspired and clumsy compared to S&S, while the tableau gets just as cluttered with tokens and cards, but without serving a purpose beyond random obstacles.

I don't hate the D&D games, but they don't hit the table very often... If at all these days.

Success to you and your family in finding a satisfying game to enjoy together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
S&S is a fun game. I haven't played any of the games you mention, besides Mage Knight, so it's hard to compare.

If you're looking for something crunchy and challenging like MK, Gloomhaven might be a better fit.
If you don't want another 'brainburner' but a game with a true sense of 'dungeon crawling', with (sometimes epic) treasures and leveling up in almost every scenario, Sword and Sorcery is for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russlaw wrote:
Played Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game and didn't really like it much.

I didn't like the D&D boardgames either. I found that too much random stuff happens. I feel this artificial pressure to explore more tiles because of all those random encounters that just keep happening.

In S&S, events and other things happen for a really good reason that fit more with the context of the quest. There already is a clock to complete the quest, without the need for pressure every single round. S&S characters resemble familiar D&D classes. I really think that S&S is the perfect D&D boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.