GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,706 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Wargame Depot - Anyone else try them out yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Ruddy
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I saw the other thread on a certain ebay seller and I thought I's drop a quick note to say I got pretty good service from Wargame Depot (See BGG Ad or http://wargamedepot.com/catalog/

I had never seen nor heard of them before their ad started showing up on BGG. Their prices seemed good, and shipping costs... average. I bought Flying Colors from them, even with Shipping I have to admit saving a ton of cash as compared to my FLGS. (US/CAN dollar conversion doesn't hurt either...)

Shipping was VIA UPS from North Carolina to Ontario, Canada. Their price was good & shipping was fast - 3 days.

Packaging was 'standard' box in a box with newspaper padding. I would have liked to see a biger shipping box with more padding, but it's not a big deal. I'll use them again.

(I am in no way associated with wargame depot, well, except as a customer )

JR
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jruddy wrote:
Shipping was VIA UPS from North Carolina to Ontario, Canada. Their price was good & shipping was fast - 3 days.

Just out of curiosity: Was UPS the only shipping method available?

Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I was going to post a thread about them because I ordered twice from them in the last month and had great service. I wasn't sure about ordering at first because I couldn't find anything on them in the forums and their prices seemed way too good... but they advertise on BGG so I took a chance.

The first order was DAK 2 and Burning Blue. Both were new and came in a brown box with decent packaging. Nothing fancy but they were mint, no damage.

The second order was ASLSK #1 and Yanks! for ASL and they were also undamaged and new.

The turn around time was pretty damn fast. Probably less than a week from order to delivery.

The shipping was a bit on the high side, about $20 for each order and only with Federal Express but the prices are really low so I think it was worth it.

Obviously I highly recommend them and will order from them again for sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ruddy
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ctalbot wrote:
jruddy wrote:
Shipping was VIA UPS from North Carolina to Ontario, Canada. Their price was good & shipping was fast - 3 days.

Just out of curiosity: Was UPS the only shipping method available?

Chris


It was the only option to Canada. I did not get dingged with any borker fees etc... so I am happy. Normally I insist on USPS for this very reason, but UPS did a good job. (Left the package in my garage too, no sig required)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Vaughn

Indiana
msg tools
Yes -- I ordered Three Battles of Manassas last month. It arrived quickly, packed in a small but sturdy box. The customer service seems good -- I had entered the wrong zip code accidentally in my shipping address and the next day the owner Jay called me to confirm the correct one. I think it's a sideline for him, since the return address label was for Jay's Brewing Supplies in NC. There are some reviews of that business to be found via Google which might give you a good idea what to expect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I used them once about a month ago when I ordered "Europe Engulfed from them. It arrived quickly and in good condition, of course new and in original shrink, when I discovered a countersheet missing, I contacted both GMT and Wargame Depot. Both answered promptly and the guys at WD assured me that GMT would mail the missing part immmediately(they did, thanks GMT)and asked to be kept up on the progress. If I did run into any problems (I didn't, thanks again GMT)they would help out. That's just great customer service. I will buy from them again, and highly recommend them. BTW I still shop my FLGS for most of my games.

Steve
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sammyv wrote:
I think it's a sideline for him, since the return address label was for Jay's Brewing Supplies in NC.


I got a sudden urge to order Bootleggers from them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the ATS Basic Game 1A, Screaming Eagles, from them relatively quick. Great game and great service.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Cole
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ordered one game from them so far, but it was a new one the other good online game sellers (Thought Hammer, etc) didn't have yet. It came quickly with no problems. They seem to have the best wargame selection at those discounted prices - I do wish they had something like free shipping for over $125 like Thought Hammer and Boards n Bits, but maybe they'll get some arrangement like that someday.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hess
United States
La Selva Beach (Santa Cruz)
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My only order has arrived with mixed reviews. I ordered Retro: Tactical WWII Wargame Variant Rules, which is a digest sized game book, and nothing else. Shipping was 7.99 via FedEx and it arrived 8 days later in a box that looked like it was made to ship encyclopedias.

My concern was that a) it should not cost 7.99 to ship one digest sized, paper book and b) the packaging was just so wasteful. Yes, the whole things was filled with packing peanuts to boot.

I assume that is the smallest size shipping unit they use for their convenience, but man, it was kinda ridiculous.

At least the game arrived undamaged(?), but based on my issues, I am thinking twice about ordering again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
biggdork wrote:
My only order has arrived with mixed reviews. I ordered Retro: Tactical WWII Wargame Variant Rules, which is a digest sized game book, and nothing else. Shipping was 7.99 via FedEx and it arrived 8 days later in a box that looked like it was made to ship encyclopedias.

My concern was that a) it should not cost 7.99 to ship one digest sized, paper book and b) the packaging was just so wasteful. Yes, the whole things was filled with packing peanuts to boot.

I assume that is the smallest size shipping unit they use for their convenience, but man, it was kinda ridiculous.

At least the game arrived undamaged(?), but based on my issues, I am thinking twice about ordering again.


Sounds awesome to me! I can always use more packing peanuts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend used them and had no problem. I've talked to them via email, but their shipping just isn't as good as their competitor. I was quoted 90 dollars for 2 games to be shipped fedex to new zealand. I regularly use fedex and it only costs about 38-45 dollars. These games were small too A Victory Lost and Afrika 2nd ed. They did kindly offer me ups which was much more reasonable and they were very pleasant to deal with. They told me that they didn't have a deal with Fedex to get better rates and that the price listed was actual shipping. I have no reason disbelieve them.


However I found the games at T&T (I had never used them and was pretty worried from all the bad press, but they were good) for about the same price and the shipping was slightly cheaper and I got fedex priority, which is a much better shipping method. I would use Wargames Depot if I couldn't get it cheaper elsewere. They have a great selection and fantastic service, but I just can't pass their competition by if their shipping is so much more expensive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Russ
United States
Marshall
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sammyv wrote:
Yes -- I ordered Three Battles of Manassas last month. It arrived quickly, packed in a small but sturdy box. The customer service seems good -- I had entered the wrong zip code accidentally in my shipping address and the next day the owner Jay called me to confirm the correct one. I think it's a sideline for him, since the return address label was for Jay's Brewing Supplies in NC. There are some reviews of that business to be found via Google which might give you a good idea what to expect.



Ah Sam, you found me out! On 99% (ok, maybe 95%) of the packages I remember to change the return address to say "Wargame Depot", but occassionally a "Jay's Brewing" will slip in there.

Actually though, as far as "sideline" businesses go, the brewing supplies is now the sideline. I spend most of my time on the wargames now. And I've recruited the wife to help out on wargames.

To address some of the shipping questions...

We normally use Fedex to US, Canada, and Mexico destinations. Our rates were just lowered (about 2 weeks ago) so the shipping costs are substantially lower than they were before. The savings are of course passed along to customers. We will use Fedex or USPS for overseas deliveries. USPS is usually quite lower for overseas.

Fedex to the US is now very close in cost to USPS with better tracking, faster service, etc... I try and stay away from domestic USPS use. Using the Post Office, I once shipped a package (brewing supplies, btw) from Fairfax, VA to Arlington, VA (about 10 miles). It went through Seattle, Washington and took 3 weeks.

So for a few pennies more (and sometimes a few pennies less), we use Fedex. When I get a chance, I plan on negotiating with UPS to see about lowering our rates further (especially overseas).

Oh, btw, smaller boxes are better! We very purposely pack games in small boxes because they are more crush-resistant. We use kraft paper (usually) to pad it into the center of the box so that a corner does not get nailed. We've had only one instance of damaged goods and naturally got a replacement out to the customer immediately!


Cheers,
Jason

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kypros wrote:
Ah Sam, you found me out! On 99% (ok, maybe 95%) of the packages I remember to change the return address to say "Wargame Depot", but occassionally a "Jay's Brewing" will slip in there.

Just merge the two into Jay's Brewing Supplies & Wargame Depot. It would be the perfect one-stop shop.

Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.