United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I am excited to announce the 13th annual Golden Geek nominations for the Best Games of 2018 are now open!

The Golden Geek Award is given annually to the best new games of the year, as selected by you, the users. The "Geekies" will be given in the following categories:

For Board Games
---------------
- Board Game of The Year
- Best Strategy Game
- Best Thematic Game
- Best Family Game
- Best Wargame
- Best 2-Player Game
- Best Party Game
- Best Card Game
- Best Artwork/Presentation
- Best Expansion
- Best Print & Play (See Rules Below)
- Most Innovative
- Best Solo Game
- Best Podcast
- Best Board Game App/Videogame
- Best Cooperative Game

The current rule for the Print & Play category is that the nominees for this category may not be a title that has been, in the process of or announcement of it being published or crowdfunded during the award period.

Games or Podcasts that have won the Golden Geek Award in the past are not eligible to be nominated.

The RPG and Video Game categories are not included as part of the nomination or voting process this year, as we are experimenting with using a committee approach for deciding those awards. You will be able to find more details on the committee process on RPGGeek and VideoGameGeek as they become available.

Here are more specifics:

In order to avoid voter fraud, we have adopted the following restrictions. Voting is restricted to either supporting users (having a supporter badge from any year is sufficient), voters who pay a one-time 20 GeekGold fee, or users who have purchased an avatar or a geekbadge.

Anyone caught stuffing the ballot box will have their votes removed and will be suspended permanently from the site.

There will be two steps to selecting the winners.

First, there will be a nomination phase. Each eligible voter can nominate up to 10 items in each of the categories. The 10 items with the most nominations in each category will become the nominees for the final voting. You are not restricted to the list of suggested nominees.

The board game nomination page is here.

The final voting will be resolved using a Condorcet voting system - specifically the Schulze method. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method

For those who don't want to read the specifics of the system, users will rank the games in each category from 1 to 10, (with a 0 for no opinion), and, through some mathemagical computations, we will select the winner.

The nomination phase will run until 12 am-midnight CST Thursday, March 14, 2019, and the final voting for 2 more weeks after that. - March 28th, 2019. The winners will be announced shortly afterward.

You are welcome to campaign, discuss voting and nominations, etc, as much as you like. Let the awards begin!

Please share this post and spread the word that the nominations are starting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello I Am Jim
badge
Yo
mbmbmbmbmb
FINALLY IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!
surprisesurprisesurprisethumbsupthumbsupthumbsupgoldencamelgoldencamelgoldencamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So many great games from 2018. Can't wait to vote!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it too early to plan the celebration party for Carpe Diem picking up the - Best Artwork/Presentation award? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About damn time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catanimalia wrote:
Is it too early to plan the celebration party for Carpe Diem picking up the - Best Artwork/Presentation award? ninja

Feld's a yearly staple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven isn't still eligible right? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Desrosiers
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
mbmbmbmbmb
Near & Far Amber Mines missing.. that's a great expansion.. how do we notify of possible missing data in the pick list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
sparkydvl wrote:
Near & Far Amber Mines missing.. that's a great expansion.. how do we notify of possible missing data in the pick list?

It's showing up for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Laquidara
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
FInally! Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Matthews
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
More Meeples, Please!
badge
Twaddle \ ˈtwä-dᵊl \ noun: Foolish, trivial, or idle talk or chatter
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Crystallo should be included. While its database entry is noted as 2019, the PnP version was the Solo PnP Contest winner in 2018. Can we make this happen, or does it violate some rule that I am not aware of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
Done!

And if you all choose differently than me... well, I accept your opinion but you're wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Turner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I go about getting Assembly added? The first printing was released in December 2018.

Previous BGG 'publication' was a Mint Tin contest entry PnP.

Assembly: Glitches (expansion) was also first printed and released in December 2018.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did Camel Up second edition make the list but Breass:Lancashire not? Brass:Birmingham is present because it is new but both brass games should really be present since the Lancashire is a new edition and an excellent one at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moss
United States
Bryan
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dinosaur Island: Totally Liquid is missing for me.

EDIT: It's there now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fallout: New California (2018) is missing, expansion for Fallout.

EDIT: It's there. In Game Type: Expansions ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Catalan
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First time participating, but my family and I just had a blast submitting our nominations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Kornberg
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see best podcast and best app... but where is best "How To Play" YouTube Channel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Ng
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realised that I have only played two games released in 2018: Greenland (Third Edition) and Sprawlopolis. Seems I'm immune to the Cult of the new.

Still, voted for the Podcast category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Well that's confirmed, I am definitely cult of the old... or maybe just out of the loop.

Only one eligible game played blush

(Deadwood 1876 - I did like it enough to nominate it in a few categories!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liberty Kifer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twaddle wrote:
I think Crystallo should be included. While its database entry is noted as 2019, the PnP version was the Solo PnP Contest winner in 2018. Can we make this happen, or does it violate some rule that I am not aware of?

I’m so flattered that you thought of my game! And I really wasn’t sure what to put for that, since I was planning on publishing in 2019, and wasn’t sure if the PNP version qualified or not. If that’s something I could change, I’d of course love for Crystallo to be considered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Larchenko
Russia
Ivanteevka
Moscow region
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Golden Geek Award is actually popularity award, I think that these games will be the main candidates for win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvaro Lerma
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard van der Craats
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss these:

The Networks: Executives
The Networks: More Executives
The Networks: Telly Time

<EDIT>
Setting the game type to expansion helps... Also, perhaps it's a good idea to start the list with setting the game type to all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Acram Digital
Poland
flag msg tools
Istanbul: Digital Edition for best App! It's a good app, and I'd say that even if I wasn't paid to do so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |