Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi folks,

As many of you will be relatively new to BGG some of you may not be aware of the history behind Age of Steam. To cut to the chase this game was stolen from me by John Bohrer and published without my consent by Eagle Gryphon. I receive no royalties from the sales of this game.

The official version of the game is known as Steam and the rights are held by FFG. At some point in the future they may be releasing a new version of the game.

Just something to mull over.

Martin Wallace
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let Them Eat Cardboard
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howlinpelle Almquist
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog1 wrote:
Hi folks,

As many of you will be relatively new to BGG some of you may not be aware of the history behind Age of Steam. To cut to the chase this game was stolen from me by John Bohrer and published without my consent by Eagle Gryphon. I receive no royalties from the sales of this game.

The official version of the game is known as Steam and the rights are held by FFG. At some point in the future they may be releasing a new version of the game.

Martin Wallace
So sad that these things happen as soon as money is involved shake

I was pretty hyped that there is a new edition of AoS because it is pretty hard to get a copy of that game (or of Steam) lately, escpecially here in Germany.

After searching in the forums and reading some more backround informations on this topic I need to rethink my decicion to back this game (maybe while playing my latest investment Brass: Lancashire Deluxe Edition )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike shin
South Korea
seoul
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is an illustrator who is better than Ian O'Toole now,
I will consider it.

anyway I'd like to officially know a story about the age of steam.

Did he steal it or did you lose it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[ˈʏt͡səˌmat͡sə]
Germany
Elzach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahazperutz wrote:
Did he steal it or did you lose it?
Just get your own impression:
Age of Steam (sold out at publisher level) has arrived at Funagain!
Martin Wallace accuses Winsome/FRED of copyright infraction
Martin Wallace vs. FRED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A two side story in which a buyer will have serious difficulties in taking a side. This is not something for the gamers to solve, it's a legal matter.

Meanwhile I'll be playing the game I think is the best, which is AoS.

That said, if you are the victim in this story, I'm sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gerlach
msg tools
I had great interested in the new edition of this game. But the comment from Mr. Wallace dampens my desire to pursue this Kickstarter.

As a scientist I find it very troublesome if original work of people is not cited or cherished properly. Has there been no outreach from Eagle-Griffon ahead of this Kickstarter to Mr. Wallace to come to some sort of agreement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Piquet
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DivadNeol wrote:
I had great interested in the new edition of this game. But the comment from Mr. Wallace dampens my desire to pursue this Kickstarter.

As a scientist I find it very troublesome if original work of people is not cited or cherished properly. Has there been no outreach from Eagle-Griffon ahead of this Kickstarter to Mr. Wallace to come to some sort of agreement?
Dozens of pages on BGG, all written in 2009 apparently. So the subject has been debated a lot years ago, and unless one side says to the other "fine it's yours" I don't thing this can be "solved".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Keip
msg tools
mb
OMG
as i heard AoS gets a reprint for me it was a instabuy.....
but in this case.... sorry i am out....

Hope to see a reprint with Martin Wallace ( i love the reprint of brass and looking forward to nanty narking...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibilities:

1) Wait for copies of the new edition to become available second-hand at reasonable prices* and buy them; that way EGG only get one profit rather than two if you were to buy on the KS

2) Buy the prior versions of AoS second-hand when they inevitably arise after the KS

3) Buy Steam

* They will - I can't think of an EGG KS (that I'd be interested in) ending up with being in short supply or at inflated prices.

Wallace has a point; personally I avoid buying anything from EGG new - especially their Kickstarters. They have form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
I don't thing this can be "solved".
No it can't: you're right - but we can express our displeasure (if only to ourselves) by avoiding EGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
... Leave early.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Martin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokeweed Mitogen wrote:
I believe Martin.
I'm not choosing a side, but why believe his side so easily?
John hasn't spoken at all here. Is it because he's a designer you know? You like his games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venser wrote:
Pokeweed Mitogen wrote:
I believe Martin.
It wasn't easy to follow the tortuous course of events described in the links above, believe me. But if you do, you end up siding with Wallace; EGG have form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bloody Purchase
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Venser wrote:
Pokeweed Mitogen wrote:
I believe Martin.
John hasn't spoken at all here. Is it because he's a designer you know? You like his games?
I'm not taking sides, since I lack the information to do so adequately, but I would point-out that John Bohrer was banned from BGG years ago and has not come back. So don't wait for him to respond here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog1 wrote:

Martin Wallace
Before this descends into another war as it did 10 years ago...
Martin, can we please have a modern high quality reprint of Steam?
I think there is some interest in/market for the game as well as for Steam Barons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[ˈʏt͡səˌmat͡sə]
Germany
Elzach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venser wrote:
John hasn't spoken at all here.
FYI: Today at 10:43/44 UTC (about 2 hours ago) John Bohrer [or maybe someone else using "winsomegames" and winsome@lanset.com these days] posted the link to Christian T. Petersens statement regarding mediation between Martin Wallace and John Bohrer in yahoo groups WinsomeGames and ageofsteamgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gerlach
msg tools
yzemaze wrote:
Venser wrote:
FYI: Today at 10:43/44 UTC (about 2 hours ago) John Bohrer [or maybe someone else using "winsomegames" and winsome@lanset.com these days] posted the link to Christian T. Petersens statement regarding mediation between Martin Wallace and John Bohrer in yahoo groups WinsomeGames and ageofsteamgame.

Thank you for posting this. Apparently it is quite difficult for a regular consumer and BGG-user to understand all the behind-the-scenes intrigues and processes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan St. Clair
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumb question: can you play Steam with the AoS rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yzemaze wrote:
Venser wrote:
I really thought Martin had moved on from this. I guess it is ok for him to continue to start inflammatory threads on BGG, but not ok for John Bohrer to respond.

Direct link to the BGG thread:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3920163#3920163
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:
but I would point-out that John Bohrer was banned from BGG years ago and has not come back. So don't wait for him to respond here.
I know.
My point was simply that people are quick to choose a side without knowing all the pertinent information.

He does respond fairly quickly if you send an email to the winsome email address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
This type of grandstanding leaves a bad taste in my mouth and less likely to purchase games designed by Martin Wallace. This is a really, really bad look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
This type of grandstanding leaves a bad taste in my mouth and less likely to purchase games designed by Martin Wallace. This is a really, really bad look.
I'd hardly call, "Hey, this is my game that I created being sold without my permission, nor am I receiving payment from it." grandstanding. It seems like it's informing customers of what they are supporting with their money if they purchase it. Given that the original incident happened a decade ago and many folks are unaware, it seems reasonable to make an informative post like this.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be honest and sensible.
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger. If I am still lingering here, it's for the gold
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Wallace seems not to be a very astute businessman, and very clumsy at reprinting his games. However, he designed this game and apparently EGG can be trusted only to the extent you can afford to have your contract with them enforced by a court of law.

So, I think if you consider the game is worth having and do not accept EGG's case, buy the Box from EGG and send Mr Wallace the money to get a licence from him. And this is the price you should budget for. If you do not like it, wait for a cheaper second-hand copy. This is the right thing to do, and the best for both you and Mr Wallace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
it seems reasonable to make an informative post like this.
We just don't really know how informative it really is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |