Subject: Backpack as equipment for carrying more stuff rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Johnson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Last night we used the Dashboards from Black Plague and this got me to thinking in BP you can carry 5 items in a back pack, why don't we use backpacks in modern also? Almost everyone has some kinda of bag they carry to work or school so they should be every where.

My son and I are going to play Boomtown campaign and think it is a good chance to try the house rule equipment out.

For the campaign all survivors will start with a backpack. For one off mission Backpack will be a equipment card that can be found with a search of a room.

Backpack- Can carry up to 5 non large items, items in backpack can't be used with Webbing. Carrying a backpack takes up all available card slot other than your hands.

*Large items are Backpack, Chainsaw, Concrete Saw, Flame Thrower, Gasoline, Riot Shield, and Uber Shield. Might be others so anything big

My thought is it will give you more of a scavenger type of feel to the game. Could even make it take more time to get items out of the backpack but want to play it a few times first.

Anyone else think of something like this? No way I'm the first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like it could work. But I would add a movement penalty or something. There has to be a price to pay for carrying all that extra stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Johnson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
I thought about a movement penalty but don't see a way to really pull it off with out making survivors lose actions and I don't like that.

Did think about having the backpack tear and items fall out if they try to leave a square with zombies. Maybe they grabbed the bag and it tore. But doesn't feel like a big penalty.

Could add no sprinting or moving more than 1 square per action but that only effects a few survivors so not really a penalty.

Maybe limit survivor to 3 move action if bag is full but that will mean more paper work to keep up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They still could have 3 actions - maybe just that movement could only be 2 of them.
It is a bit limiting - but it's worth a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warhawk77 wrote:
I thought about a movement penalty but ...
Did think about having the backpack tear ... doesn't feel like a big penalty.
Could add no sprinting or moving more than 1 square ... only effects a few survivors...
Maybe limit survivor to 3 move action if bag is full but that will mean more paper work to keep up with.

Given all of that, i say play the game as written - without a backpack.

Or, perhaps more simply, having a backpack in your inventory takes up 1 slot but gives you 2 slots. i.e. it increases your total carrying capacity by 1.

That said, i've never found the 5-item carrying limit to be problematic, and sometimes requires making "interesting decisions", so i wouldn't really want to see it increased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin Frost
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
warhawk77 wrote:
Could add no sprinting or moving more than 1 square ... only effects a few survivors...

Or, perhaps more simply, having a backpack in your inventory takes up 1 slot but gives you 2 slots. i.e. it increases your total carrying capacity by 1.

That said, i've never found the 5-item carrying limit to be problematic, and sometimes requires making "interesting decisions", so i wouldn't really want to see it increased.

I strongly agree. You shouldn’t do it because it will throw off all sorts of balance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Johnson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hang on I think I didn't explain that well.

My thought is Backpack would take up the 3 empty spaces leaving 2 items for your hands. While wearing the backpack you could put 5 total items in the backpack but none of those could be large items.

The reason for this is some mission are item collection based so if the survivors are going out collecting supplies why would you not bring something to carry those in.

I don't recall the mission but we had to collect can food, water, rice and ammo then leave the board to win the mission. We all started searching and pretty soon my survivor was carrying the crowbar, Rice, Can food, and ammo where the others found weapons. Yes would could have spent actions to divide the items around the group but we where not in a good spot to spend the actions for that. I had also used up 4 of my 5 slots pretty fast so we talked about some other options after the game.

I think maybe only spending 2 actions to move might work. Maybe we can play it a few games both ways and see what we find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warhawk77 wrote:
The reason for this is some mission are item collection based so if the survivors are going out collecting supplies why would you not bring something to carry those in.

The carrying capacity of 5 abstracts away the "something to carry those in" part. Realistically, nobody can carry around 5 guns, or even 2 guns, a box of ammo, a baseball bat, and a riot shield, without something to carry some of it in.

It seems to me that you're trying to solve a non-problem. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, in and of itself, but i don't see it as an improvement in this case.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The limitation for the backpack could be that if you're forced to give up an item, taking a wound, you can't pick items in the back pack, you'd discard it and its contents or another item not in it.

I'd have it take up 1 space but you can only add 2 items. A very limited improvement. But still handy in some extremes.

Backpack: takes up 1 slot. +2 cards to this slot. Discard with contents if using this slot for a wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Johnson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Stephan @ I can understand that maybe I'm over thinking the whole thing.

Philip@ I like that idea too. That might be a better option over all.

I know in a normal game this might not be worth the trouble but in games where you are collecting supplies I see this as a huge help. At least for our games so far.

Hope to test Philip's idea out tonight and see how it works out for us.

Thanks guys
Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
One way that I've seen folks handle rule changes, is to build them into equipment. Basically, a piece of equipment can (and does sometimes), break the RAW in some way.

This is most often represented by fan-made search cards, which can be found variously around the interwebs.

For example, and in the context of storage/ carrying capacity, I have seen the following card types (sometimes in more than one variation):

Ammo Belt - Allows for up to three "Ammo" cards (Plenty of Ammo etc), to be placed on the Ammo Belt card. The belt typically takes up 1 of the three existing "Backpack" slots.

Back Pack - Depending on the card, adds anywhere from +1 for small bags, to +3 for large bags. Takes up a "Back Pack" slot.

Duffel Bag - Allows characters to carry two weapons on the card, but takes up a hand slot. These two weapons are considered to be in the "Back Pack" slots.

Holster - Allows the character to place a hand gun on the Holster card. Takes up 1 "Back Pack" slot, but the pistol is considered to be in-hand. I've seen Back Scabbard variants for Sword items that work the same way.

Various Crates and Boxes - Generally these are left in place where found, but allow Characters to "Store" items in that location much like the trunk of a vehicle. This allows Characters to return and swap out gear etc.

-----

Anyway, in each of those examples, creators have tweaked the rules via a card rather than changing a game rule wholesale. This also gives you the option to use up those pesky alt language cards as card backs--i.e. print out the card at home and glue it to an alt language card face. This is pretty effective if you sleeve your cards anyway.

So, those are some ideas that don't upset the game balance all of the time, but tweak it with a lucky search.

All of this said, the beauty of Zcide, in my opinion, is that it is a big flexible sandbox, and house ruling is relatively easy to do. Thus, my best suggestion is to test various ideas and see what makes your group happy.

Zcide does not take itself or it's own rules very seriously. It's not a deep and thinky Euro, expertly crafted for puzzle balance. It's a lighter (and fun), skirmish game that works well as a gateway to hobby gaming. Again, in my opinion.

Regardless, success to you and your group in discovering a solution that proves fun and engaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Johnson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Those are good ideas.

I agree the more I bounce this around in my head I think the equipment card is the way to do this. I like the ideas you listed too might use some of those in our campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warhawk77 wrote:
I know in a normal game this might not be worth the trouble but in games where you are collecting supplies I see this as a huge help.

In scenarios where you're collecting supplies, the carrying limit is inherently part of the scenario's balance. Increasing the limit will reduce the challenge of the scenario.

Edit: the carrying limit is part of the balance anyway, for all scenarios, but especially for collection-oriented ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Cerra
United States
Ames
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't see if anyone already mentioned this: You might want to pick up some of the new dashboards from Zombicide: Invader when it releases; it looks like there are backpack slots on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Felder
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
warhawk77 wrote:

Consider that there already ARE backpacks in the game. You can only have two items at the ready, where are you storing the other three?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Messick
United States
Jacksboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designedbyryno.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Whenever I explain the game to new people (which is every time I play lol), I always tell them the 3 slots are their backpack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian W
msg tools
We are playing modern Zombicide with the black plague dashboards and are using 5 equipment cards as slots for the backpack, but at the same time, there's a adrenalin level restriction to use weapons, eg. a baseball bat can be used at yellow, but a nailbat at orange, so you really need more space to not discard weapons all the time.

(plus there are events happening where you might loose equiped, e.g. items held in hand, so you need a backup weapon somewhere )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.