Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If a potential traitor has not been revealed yet, and the group is just about to complete a quest for that last white sword to win the game, why would they not want to make a "free" accusation if the score is 6 to 4 ot 7 to 4 before doing so?

This would be done because of an unrevealed traitor's ability to create a two sword swing at the end of the game. If it ends 8 to 4 before the traitor is revealed, then it ends in a 6 to 6 tie and a victory for the traitor. If you accuse someone at 6 to 4 or 7 to 4 and are wrong, the score becomes 5 to 5 or 6 to 5, and you will of course lose if there is a traitor and it was someone else, but you would have lost anyway even if you made no accusation. If there is no traitor you simply complete the quest like you were about to win and you have won the game. At least this way you have the chance of revealing a possible traitor and removing their ability to flip two swords at the end of the game.

Has anyone ever run across this type of situation? What am I missing here?

Thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perucca
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Once there are 4 black swords on the table, the traitor should start helping the heros at every turn. If it looks like there will never be 4 swords on the table, the traitor might as well get in a false accusation or two so that he/she can be revealed and start taunting the knights. That's generally the strategy I use when playing the traitor.

So yes, you are right. It's probably fatal to win the last quest if there are 4 black swords on the table without a revealed traitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't seem like your missing anything. Looks like a pretty reasonable break down of the strategy that comes into play in this kind of situation.

I think you're right that it would be a poor strategy not to make an accusation in that situation, but just because you noticed this doesn't mean that it is necessarily blatantly obvious to everyone. It just seems like you have more or less "solved" this one part of the game. You still have to be able to get yourself into this situation, though, which will never be a sure thing. Also, as an afterthought, the turn that you spend making the accusation will mean that you can't use that turn to complete the quest, so you will have to wait at least one more turn, giving the dark forces one more shot at victory... depending on how fragile the situation is. That is a slight downside, although probably not outweighing the benefit, as you noticed.

I think I read something at one point about how one of the main downsides to the game is that people would eventually try to solve it once they had enough experience with it, and it would lose a lot of the fun factor. Seems to me, though, that pretty much any cooperative "players vs. game" type of game would suffer from this on some level. That said, I love the game, and it seems like if it were a problem you could always just *not* try to solve it, and just enjoy it for what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite reasonable, but of course the question is: is there anyone you actually think is the traitor? If not, of course you shouldn't accuse. Accusing "for free" is one of those things which is a result of how the rules work, but which may not make sense within the theme. Shadows is a game where you really need to focus on the theme.

CUTHALI0N wrote:
I think I read something at one point about how one of the main downsides to the game is that people would eventually try to solve it once they had enough experience with it, and it would lose a lot of the fun factor. Seems to me, though, that pretty much any cooperative "players vs. game" type of game would suffer from this on some level. That said, I love the game, and it seems like if it were a problem you could always just *not* try to solve it, and just enjoy it for what it is.

Very well said. You can also stave off the need to "solve" the game by trying variants like Squires which add new problems to the Knights' plights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveP wrote:
the traitor might as well get in a false accusation or two

A player can only make one accusation per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, in my group, accusation is generally a consensus thing -- a player who accuses someone out of the blue (even with some cause) virtually guarantees that he is the traitor. I read about groups where accusations fly left and right, and wonder if they're actually working together at all -- you CAN discuss things like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moyers
United States
Meridianville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Point of clarification, and forgive me if I'm missing something in your post, but if you make an accusation that proves to be incorrect, one of your hard earned white swords is TURNED to black and not simply added to the table. Making an accusation if never free of consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.