Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Third Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Crick
Belgium
flag msg tools
There was 6 years between 1st and 2nd edition, which is the same gap between the release of 2nd and now. Excluding the final card pack 'Lost Legends' the last physical release was in 2016.

Re-prints and app releases are fairly frequent though which suggests there is some life yet for 2nd edition.

It's purely a guess but any new edition would be a couple or several years away - if at all.

I'm curious if experienced Descent players think that there is a need for or even demand for a new edition of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Greek
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's fine as it is for now. Also, the LotR dungeon crawler is probably a mayor expansion heavy game So I guess there is no need to compete with themselves for a while.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like some people want it, but I'd prefer they just release the last few missing 1E heroes instead, update the quest builder with the newest stuff, and maybe do one more boxed expansion (I vote some sort of desert Uthuk adventure).

I just don't see a real NEED for a third edition, and probably wouldn't get into one after dumping a lot of time and money into the version I have. This one's selling still, it seems, and the app keeps getting new stuff. There's the upcoming POD class cards. Imperial Assault fixed a few minor issues, IMO, but Descent works very well and is a solid game with lots of options.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas F
Argentina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't buy a third edition, and would, in fact, stop buying parts for my second edition collection of a third was released which wasn't fully compatible with 2E's non-core box parts.
It would simply not be worth it
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a Sea of Blood style expansion for 2nd Ed. The boat on the big ocean map is still my favorite (if least used) part of 1st Ed.

As for the current game, I hope it's just not the hot topic and that's the reason for the lull. The app "fixed" some issues that IA fixed (such as hero/monster alternating turns). I'm scared that the next installment will be app only along the lines of Mansions of Madness. I do like co-ops, but I also like traditional 1vMany dungeon crawlers and I'd hate to lose that permanently with Descent...

-shnar
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Frangella
Argentina
flag msg tools
I believe that the "3rd edition" already started with the exit of the app road to legend
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
I hope there wont be since i just started my collection. But new ffg games seem to skip the overlord part. Except star wars. Lotr is only coop. Terrinoth too. So descrnt still unique and i dont want this part to be scrapped. There are many coop. But 1 vs many is a different beast
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstringer wrote:
I hope there wont be since i just started my collection. But new ffg games seem to skip the overlord part. Except star wars. Lotr is only coop. Terrinoth too. So descrnt still unique and i dont want this part to be scrapped. There are many coop. But 1 vs many is a different beast
It is a different beast. Unfortunately it's not a mode that is popular outside our niche forum audience. The 1vMany aspect of the game killed it for my group. RtL rescued it for us. Judging from how much FFG said sales increased with the release of co-op in RtL I'd say it was a common experience.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron Gates
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Proto Persona wrote:
The 1vMany aspect of the game killed it for my group. RtL rescued it for us.
That’s too bad. Did you not have someone in the group who enjoyed being the OL?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron Gates wrote:
Proto Persona wrote:
The 1vMany aspect of the game killed it for my group. RtL rescued it for us.
That’s too bad. Did you not have someone in the group who enjoyed being the OL?
Not at all. I like playing the role, but only when I'm allowed to actually try to win.

The problem is when the OL is winning there's only 1 winner. Heroes get demoralized after a few losses and the game gets shelved for something where they are "having fun."

The solution for that sounds easy doesn't it? Just play as more of a DM, making things challenging but in the end the heroe get to win, or at least only lose by the skin of their teeth. Except this isn't P&P roleplay. There's nothing else for the OL role to do in the game but try to win. No storytelling, no sense of creation. So playing the OL role as a DM means a long campaign of me halfheartedly playing and being bored as hell.

For those of you out there saying "My hero group isn't like that! They enjoy a real challenge!" Well congrats, you're extremely lucky. Those players are rare. For the vast majority of gamers out there what they really want is to feel like a winner. When a game delivers loss after loss like this one can, they feel like losers and just give up on it. There's a reason the sales of Descent tripled when it gained a non-competitive co-op mode.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Crane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurien wrote:
I wouldn't buy a third edition, and would, in fact, stop buying parts for my second edition collection of a third was released which wasn't fully compatible with 2E's non-core box parts.
It would simply not be worth it
Since it's been a few years since any physical release( yes i'm aware of the upcoming cards.) I don't think FFG cares to much if anything sells at this point. Don't get me wrong they won't turn it down but it's a 99 percent dead game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mbmb
Proto Persona wrote:

For those of you out there saying "My hero group isn't like that! They enjoy a real challenge!" Well congrats, you're extremely lucky. Those players are rare. For the vast majority of gamers out there what they really want is to feel like a winner. When a game delivers loss after loss like this one can, they feel like losers and just give up on it. There's a reason the sales of Descent tripled when it gained a non-competitive co-op mode.

Regardless of whether your group enjoys a challenge or not the lack of divine favor in 2ed means that the game snowballs. If they're not winning by late in act 1 it's not a matter of a challenge it's a forgone conclusion, they won't be winning in act 2...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crick
Belgium
flag msg tools
Same experience for us. It's cache 22 as well - if you play overlord like a DM to promote fun, the heroes can snowball with loot. Play too competitively and defeat for the heroes demoralises them.

1 versus many shouldn't be so unpopular but it is because the balance is not very good. Progression and rewards in campaign balance would help
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bobni wrote:
Same experience for us. It's cache 22 as well - if you play overlord like a DM to promote fun, the heroes can snowball with loot. Play too competitively and defeat for the heroes demoralises them.

1 versus many shouldn't be so unpopular but it is because the balance is not very good. Progression and rewards in campaign balance would help

So good players need to get balanced down? WTF...

1vsMany is always about skill. There is no need for balancing if one side simply plays bad. Has nothing to do with the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron Gates
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Telrak wrote:
bobni wrote:
Same experience for us. It's cache 22 as well - if you play overlord like a DM to promote fun, the heroes can snowball with loot. Play too competitively and defeat for the heroes demoralises them.

1 versus many shouldn't be so unpopular but it is because the balance is not very good. Progression and rewards in campaign balance would help

So good players need to get balanced down? WTF...

1vsMany is always about skill. There is no need for balancing if one side simply plays bad. Has nothing to do with the game.

Yeah, but if four people can’t beat one, they think the game must be rigged. I posted in another thread how I get around that (I think the bullying thread).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mbmb
Telrak wrote:

So good players need to get balanced down? WTF...

1vsMany is always about skill. There is no need for balancing if one side simply plays bad. Has nothing to do with the game.

It's not exactly a foreign concept:


...thus allowing players of different proficiency to play against each other on somewhat equal terms.

It's not even a foreign concept to Descent, it was called divine favor in 1st edition.

Keeping either side from pulling too far ahead of the other means that the campaign isn't over less than half way through the campaign. Bringing it to 2ed would have lead to more games being completed...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Devonmouse wrote:
Lurien wrote:
I wouldn't buy a third edition, and would, in fact, stop buying parts for my second edition collection of a third was released which wasn't fully compatible with 2E's non-core box parts.
It would simply not be worth it
Since it's been a few years since any physical release( yes i'm aware of the upcoming cards.) I don't think FFG cares to much if anything sells at this point. Don't get me wrong they won't turn it down but it's a 99 percent dead game.
Except that they're still making new content for the "dead game"...

-shnar
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bucho22 wrote:
Telrak wrote:

So good players need to get balanced down? WTF...

1vsMany is always about skill. There is no need for balancing if one side simply plays bad. Has nothing to do with the game.

It's not exactly a foreign concept:


...thus allowing players of different proficiency to play against each other on somewhat equal terms.

It's not even a foreign concept to Descent, it was called divine favor in 1st edition.

Keeping either side from pulling too far ahead of the other means that the campaign isn't over less than half way through the campaign. Bringing it to 2ed would have lead to more games being completed...

Your opinion obviously is different to mine which is ok but I think handicaps give people the false impression that they are playing good when they are not! This way they never improve as there is no need to play any better. Maybe I am just lucky with my people here but nobody would like to have a free boost because of playing badly. We try to be better every game and if you cannot see your bad moves you don't know where to improve. Sometimes the pain of a snowballing game is all you need to rethink your tactics.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on your goal and preference in playing the game. If you want to play Descent like it's more of an RPG-style game rather than a straight competitive game, "getting better" may not be your goal. It's officially a competitive heroes vs. overlord game, but if your group doesn't want to play it that way there's nothing stopping you rom changing it up, and there's no harm in leveling the playing field with a handicap or boost for one side or another if that's what you all enjoy and want to do.

There are also different ways to improve, and pain isn't the only reason to adjust or practice your tactics.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus there are a lot of players looking for a relaxed fun time. If they have to "try hard" (not my term, but I've had it leveled at me a lot while playing games) then it's not any fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Proto Persona wrote:
Plus there are a lot of players looking for a relaxed fun time. If they have to "try hard" (not my term, but I've had it leveled at me a lot while playing games) then it's not any fun.

This is where people are different. I for once enjoy optimising to a certain level and am really having fun with it.

But I like games like High Frontier as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano Anella
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Well, I played a lot of board games, I even bought Imperial Assault some years ago and didn't like it, I tried some other dungeon crawlers and never found myself hooked.
Then, I tried Descent. And I instantly loved it! Everything this game has to offer appeals to me at some level and I am preferring it over many dungeon crawlers that came later (expecially Sword & Sorcery, which is supposedly considered Descent's spiritual successor or direct evolution).
And this is happening to me right now. So, I don't know... The game still feels fresh to me and doesn't look like it needs a new edition.
But, if they come up with a new edition that has nothing but improvements over this one, well, so be it. I'll be happy.

Slightly off topic but I would say that with all the good expansions that already exist of this game, FFG could publish something big, new and pretty original. I mean, Chains that Rust already seemed pretty different from the other expansions so far, at least to me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Telrak wrote:
Proto Persona wrote:
Plus there are a lot of players looking for a relaxed fun time. If they have to "try hard" (not my term, but I've had it leveled at me a lot while playing games) then it's not any fun.

This is where people are different. I for once enjoy optimising to a certain level and am really having fun with it.

But I like games like High Frontier as well.
A lot of gamers are like this. They like games that are brutally punishing since it becomes a great sense of accomplishment when they defeat the game. Great thing about Descent, the Overlord player can play it both ways, depending on how the group plays.

-shnar
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandr
msg tools
From my experience with the Descent 1vMany - this mode needs to be tweaked if you are not able to play a campaign with the same group (which is exactly my case).

So I've done super easy tweaks and most likely others did the same.

My players even call Descent as just "dungeon raid boardgame" (hello to wow players).

General prep steps:
1. Rock paper scissors to decide who will play as OL.
2. Roll dice or choose exact quest you want to play.

OL prep steps:
3. OL picks Lieutenant and OL class to use.
4. OL rolls 2 yellow dices to determine the starting amount of XP (sum of ❤ and ⚡ ignoring any numbers rolled). Change dice pool for act2 quests or if you just want to play with OL power level.
5. OL draws upgrade cards at random from his class + Lieutenant cards paying its XP cost until OL spends all the XP (if OL cannot afford revealed card he still buys it using all the XP left).

Existing players prep:
6. Deal all the heroes cards/skills/items/XP/gold/etc from the previous session (in case this is not the first time player in my group).

New player prep steps:
7. Choose hero/class.
8. Player rolls 2 yellow dices to determine the starting amount of XP and gold (sum of numbers equals starting XP, each ❤ and ⚡ equals 50 gold).

All players prep steps:
9. The player can spend any amount of XP to buy class cards. If some XP left or the player don't want to buy more skills then record XP left to the char sheet.
10. Deal 5 random shop cards (I am using both acts items), the player can buy as much as he can afford. We also have a rule - for each ⚡ rolled player can decide to "reroll" shop with no ability to buy previous shop cards. Players with heroes from the previous session obviously don't have ⚡ symbols to reroll shop

New campaign phase:
11. I am recommending to mark EACH quest with travel symbols (3 or 4) from the campaign map (road/hill/etc). OL deals three travel cards one by one, resolving effects using travel symbols from the quest chosen.

The game:
12. Play the game and deal all the quest rewards (XP/gold) as described in the quest chosen.

As you can see my small modification uses all the cards available in the game (travel, OL classes, Lieutenants, all the items and so on). And currently, this is the ONLY way how we play Descent.

I would say my group doesn't really NEED 3rd edition, as we tweaked the game to be somewhat random and very fun. You'll never know who will be OL, and players able to keep their heroes... until hero dies which is permanent by our home rules, and you will need to generate new hero in case of the unfortunate destiny for your existing one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls