Subject: Which version of Zombicide should I get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flanimal Lover
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There appear to be 3 versions of this game, not sure what the difference is between them.

Do you need the original Zombicide to play the other 2 games, Black Plague and Green Horde?

Is there a preferred order to buy these games?

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coddleflop wrote:
There appear to be 3 versions of this game, not sure what the difference is between them.

Do you need the original Zombicide to play the other 2 games, Black Plague and Green Horde?

Black Plague is a completely different game and Green Horde is a standalone sequel to Black Plague. You don't need BP in order to play any of the three "classic" Zombicide games (Seasons 1, 2, and 3), a.k.a. "Moderncide". All three of the classic "big-box" sets are both standalone games and completely compatible with each other, so they also function as expansions for each other. BP and Moderncide are incompatible with each other (e.g. the cards are completely different, despite any rules similarities, so they cannot be mixed together).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray R.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're all pretty similar and the rules tweaks can be ported between them without too much hassle so I think it comes down to theme. I dislike modern and scifi themes so when Black Plague came out I got rid of the original. My brother prefers scifi and is considering dumping Black Plague for Zombicide: Tentacles Invader.

Do you prefer one theme over the other? What about art styles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ive had all three..and love the "moderncide" version..sold my black plague.and got an unplayed green horde for trade on here!
theres a hell of a lot more stuff for modern as well.and I believe that theres strong rumours CMON are looking at fetching another modern themed one out...happy days!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin Frost
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original first sets are best. Hate the BP version, don’t know the invader version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MtnFrost wrote:
The original first sets are best. Hate the BP version, don’t know the invader version.

Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry
Germany
Ratingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont like BP either, do not like this Theme. I only play Zombicide Season1-3, I think it's the best. I feel directly like in a Zombie Movie, like Walking Dead and so on....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What's your theme preference ? Modern Day, Medieval-Fantasy or (soon) Scifi.

This short list below doesn't cover ever permutation and addition but more of an overview. Almost all the sets include more survivors & equipment and missions, which I do not note below.

Modern is

S1: Base set stand alone. Most common edition.
S2: Prison stand alone (introduces new zombie type & prison tiles )
S2 Toxic Mall expansion that works with S1 or S2. (introduces new Zombie type)
S3 Rue Morgue : introduces team rules, experience & new zombie type and dilapidated building tiles. New vehicle type: Helicopter.
S3 Angry Neighbors expansion introduces new zombie type.

----

Fantasy:

S1:Black Plague equivalent to modern edition starter set.
S1 Wulfsburg expansion adds new zombie animal type & towers
S2 Green Horde with Orc Zombie equivalent to base types. New tiles and Ballistas. and DRAGON!
S2 expansion : Friends and Foes adds a new zombie type.
S2 exansion : No Rest for the Wicked adds 3 new types (rats, Spectral walkers, and a huge Zombie spewing undead Dragon).

The Fantasy Series has quite a few LARGE enemy types and an addition set of Abominations that add quite a bit of character to the game.

In conclusion:

For modern setting I think Season 3 has the best Modern rule set, benefiting from 3-4 years of play and refinement. I recommend Season 3 or Season 1 first.

Fantasy also has an updated rule-set with tweaks that make this edition our favorite. I also liked that there are ranged firing enemies in this setting, modern has no equivalent that I am aware of unless going against fellow survivors.

Pick up either s1:Black Plague or s2:Horde. Both are excellent.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
Black Plague and Green Horde have the best variety of zombies and bosses. But you gotta love the fantasy theme to enjoy it. With so many variations of zombies and bosses the rules can get more complicated.

The Modern Zombicide is simpler and easier. A little more straight forward in play.

Do you want to chainsaw through a pack of zombies or would you rather blast them with a fireball using magic? Would you rather play as someone who was a computer software engineer or a town blacksmith?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Black
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I chose Season 1 to begin because all of my players are new to Zombicide so I thought they could relate more to a "Walking Dead" modern environment than the Fantasy environments of BP or GH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
r1ngx wrote:
I chose Season 1 to begin because all of my players are new to Zombicide so I thought they could relate more to a "Walking Dead" modern environment than the Fantasy environments of BP or GH.

Great choice!

I'm sure you and your group will enjoy it!

~Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Adams
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
r1ngx wrote:

I went the exact same way for the same reason. Plus I have so many fantasy games, I didn't want it to "look" like just one more.

My daughter is obsessed with Wanda, so I think I made the right call. Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I prefer the fantasy setting and the cleaned up ranged rules for Black Plague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
Personally, I prefer the fantasy setting and the cleaned up ranged rules for Black Plague.

Same reason for me as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Black
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cscottk wrote:

I house rule the Season 1 ranged rules. We are all from the south (USA) so we all own guns and know how to shoot. The fact that we would hit other survivors every time made the game unrealistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
r1ngx wrote:
cscottk wrote:

I house rule the Season 1 ranged rules. We are all from the south (USA) so we all own guns and know how to shoot. The fact that we would hit other survivors every time made the game unrealistic.

Houserule them to what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Black
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
r1ngx wrote:
cscottk wrote:

Houserule them to what?

if you miss the zombie, you hit the survivor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
r1ngx wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
r1ngx wrote:
cscottk wrote:

Houserule them to what?

if you miss the zombie, you hit the survivor.

Cool. Like Black Plague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It was unrealistic, probably...

But it is a mechanic that kept the game balance. Keeping the game from being too much of a shoot fest. It's less tense. But we agree with the compromise, all shots missed hit friendlies. It still keeps that balance mostly in check.

Also in the Fantasy edition there are armour saves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Floydski wrote:

It was unrealistic, probably...

But it is a mechanic that kept the game balance. Keeping the game from being too much of a shoot fest. It's less tense. But we agree with the compromise, all shots missed hit friendlies. It still keeps that balance mostly in check.

Yeah, I like the extra tension that the Black Plague change gives, because it's a choice to take a risk. The original version may as well have just said that you can't shoot into a space with survivors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The hit only on a miss works pretty well in Modern and when comparing weapons used against risk to survivors.

Shooting a pistol with 1 die gives you a 50/50 chance of hitting your companion, while raking a zone with a automatic weapon with many dice and higher hit number (5+) will almost guarantee you hit a friend anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erik
msg tools
mb
Quote:
Which version of Zombicide should I get?
Season One Modern.

for me, zombies, sci fi, and fantasy are three different genres. each has enough tropes on its own, mixing them only muddies the feel without bringing any benefit. i don't want laser guns in my D&D game, and i don't want space marines or orcs in my zombie game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mango Novich
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:
MtnFrost wrote:

Why?

To jump in on a question for another member...

I disliked BP because when I think 'fantasy' I think character classes, limitations on weapons use, differing Hit Points and Armour etc.

In BP the wizard can wield the 2 handed sword with the same skill as the knight, they both can take the same amount of hits as the Ogre who can cast spells in the same manner as the wizard.

In modern zombicide you are all just humans, all very similar with a couple of different skills and it works great.

In Fantasy like D&D and other RPGS player characters are vastly different due to their specific class training (wizard, warrior, cleric etc), BP gives you these characters to play with great art, background etc but from a game play point of view they are all the same! The class/race achetypes of each character are meaningless, they could have all just been peasants, one is a little stronger, the other a little better with a bow etc.

So for me even though BP has superior components it failed abysmally to give me a 'fantasy' zombicide experience. Therefore I sold it very soon after receiving the KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls