Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Yoder
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games, two totally different results.

Admittedly, I didn’t quite know what I was doing in the first game. It takes a bit to wrap your head around the mechanics. Still, I thought I was doing alright when Rob used some Assyrians to crush my biggest temple, casting me below ten points and winning him the game.

Since the first game was so short, I agreed to another. This one was much more balanced; I concentrated on stealing or dismissing his people while he couldn’t get enough Assyrians for a repeat performance. Eventually he managed to wipe out a four point temple, but I had such an advantage of guys on the board at that point that it hardly mattered. However, I couldn’t close the deal. I had 3 Hittites in my hand, but I was ahead in almost every spot. The one spot I could profit by a temple steal was the one spot I couldn’t draw a card for. The quarry draws were mostly useless to me; thankfully, they were pretty crappy for Rob, too, and eventually I was able to get 19 points, then 20, before Rob could accumulate enough Assyrians for another torch job.

I like the game, even though it’s in that category of games that I usually hate: those that make you think a lot but also involve a lot of luck. Maybe because it’s quick and because it’s two players, this didn’t bother me so much. I can see some elements of strategy I didn’t think enough about the first time around, and I’m definitely up for another play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.