Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Crowd sale opening,
I'd like to open the floor up here to anything you'd like to ask about it or the game. Fire away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea what shipping will cost to a US address?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:

Mine shows $12.37 to Missouri.

Edit: This estimate was for “all in”. Base game, mat, and the add-on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:

Seems to range from $9-$15 depending on what you add on (Rods and Boats and/or the Play mat).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike A.
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Pick out two!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this game still be available to purchase later on down the road? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albs1414 wrote:
Will this game still be available to purchase later on down the road? Thanks.

Yes sir, the game will be able to be purchased through The Game Crafter after the sale and beyond. The only perk for doing it now is the price discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purchased the base game and playmat! Looking forward to trying it out. Will add the expansion later on down the road if it's a hit with the kids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Purchased the base game and playmat! Looking forward to trying it out. Will add the expansion later on down the road if it's a hit with the kids!

Right on! I'd love to hear how it goes with them once you get the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered my set of everything for Tournament Fishing today through the special Crowd Sale --- what a great concept. I've been looking for a realistic fishing tournament game for years without any success. I even designed my own imaginary lake and stocked it with over 100 different non-saltwater species from all over the globe. I enjoyed playing it solo --- but it is nowhere near as exciting as challenging your Automa in TF.

I understand that you went from dice to cards to check how the fish were fighting --- once they were hooked. Are these dice still available for sale? I like their unpredictability over the finite set of 32 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
I ordered my set of everything for Tournament Fishing today through the special Crowd Sale --- what a great concept. I've been looking for a realistic fishing tournament game for years without any success. I even designed my own imaginary lake and stocked it with over 100 different non-saltwater species from all over the globe. I enjoyed playing it solo --- but it is nowhere near as exciting as challenging your Automa in TF.

I understand that you went from dice to cards to check how the fish were fighting --- once they were hooked. Are these dice still available for sale? I like their unpredictability over the finite set of 32 cards.

First of all, thank you for coming on board with the game and the kind complements! It sounds like this game will be a perfect fit for what you were after!

About the dice, I talked about that some here. My plan is to make this one of the final expansions to the game, providing the option to play it either way.

However I will say that the 32 card deck is also pretty unpredictable! It’s got 2 cards in it that cause the deck to be reshuffled, with the intent to make it slightly more random and less deterministic as the deck dwindles down. For example, there are 3 pop cards and 6 blanks. So you could math it out based on what has come already. Some will like that, but those reshuffle cards can throw that math for a spin!

I also plan to add more cards into the fight deck in a future expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
32 copies were sold as at 3:52pmPT day 1!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike A.
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Pick out two!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yes sir, the game will be able to be purchased through The Game Crafter after the sale and beyond. The only perk for doing it now is the price discount.

Thanks for the quick response. I went ahead and ordered everything anyway after watching the solo play through video. I could tell from that video that this game is right up my ally. I used to fish quite a bit with my dad (trout in Branson Missouri especially)and look forward to playing this with him and my 9 year old who also watched the video and thought the game looked "cool". (I agree).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albs1414 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the quick response. I went ahead and ordered everything anyway after watching the solo play through video. I could tell from that video that this game is right up my ally. I used to fish quite a bit with my dad (trout in Branson Missouri especially)and look forward to playing this with him and my 9 year old who also watched the video and thought the game looked "cool". (I agree).

Awesome! You all will love the Coop mode too. It’s got amazing teamwork and Michael even says it’s the most cooperative deckbuildiing game that he has played (in the review video). I was just solo-two handing it when I was playtesting and had a blast... knew right away there was something special to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
32 copies were sold as at 3:52pmPT day 1!!

We just hit 50 on the base game and 30 on the playmat. I am very excited and with 8 more days left, I think we have a shot at 100!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m.s. edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a fisherwoman by any means, but this game has caught my fancy and I was all ready to go all-in with the expansion and play mat when the shipping to Southern California threw me for a loop. I get that $17 isn't all that much, all things considered, but it does feel a bit painful to pay as much to transport the game to me as it does the game itself. Also kinda sad that you don't get the profits on shipping costs, Greg, coz I'd rather all my money go to you.

Ah, well. I'll probably order all-in anyhow, but I've gotta see what I'm taking off my MM/CSI wishlists to make room for this in my monthly budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg, I'm excited about the possibility of combining 2 TF games for my solo play to decrease predictability and increase randomness. I would just shuffle everything together and see what happens. The only exception I would make is to make sure that the Automa still can catch no more and no less than 6 fish. Easy enough to do by making 2 piles of cards and then dishing the correct # in a random manner.

I realize that what I am proposing could upset the delicate play balance that is built into the game but I don't care. For me, it is the thrill of discovery that's of paramount importance and smashing any kind of predictability --- similar to real fishing. I don't care about winning or losing --- although I will try my best to win no matter whether I encounter good luck or bad luck through the increased randomness of the card draw.

I know this kind of approach to the game will appeal to relatively few gamers. However, I am adding a variety of house rules and the possibility of catching different species (including non-North American) through a variety of charts. However, I am including only real species that inhabit lakes and rivers around the globe. This Tournament Fishing game really has my creative juices flowing!!!

Greg, I am giving you all this preamble to see if you can assist me. On day one, I already purchased everything at the Crowd sale (including the add-on expansion). Now I need another copy of just the base game to make my new plans a reality. Is it possible for me to order just the base game (without the playmat) at the regular non-crowd sale price and have it shipped to me simultaneously with my previous order in an effort to reduce shipping costs to Canada? If so, please tell me how this can be done. I can't afford to pay shipping costs separately on two orders. I will appreciate any assistance you can give me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
Greg, I'm excited about the possibility of combining 2 TF games for my solo play to decrease predictability and increase randomness. I would just shuffle everything together and see what happens. The only exception I would make is to make sure that the Automa still can catch no more and no less than 6 fish. Easy enough to do by making 2 piles of cards and then dishing the correct # in a random manner.

I realize that what I am proposing could upset the delicate play balance that is built into the game but I don't care. For me, it is the thrill of discovery that's of paramount importance and smashing any kind of predictability --- similar to real fishing. I don't care about winning or losing --- although I will try my best to win no matter whether I encounter good luck or bad luck through the increased randomness of the card draw.

I know this kind of approach to the game will appeal to relatively few gamers. However, I am adding a variety of house rules and the possibility of catching different species (including non-North American) through a variety of charts. However, I am including only real species that inhabit lakes and rivers around the globe. This Tournament Fishing game really has my creative juices flowing!!!

Greg, I am giving you all this preamble to see if you can assist me. On day one, I already purchased everything at the Crowd sale (including the add-on expansion). Now I need another copy of just the base game to make my new plans a reality. Is it possible for me to order just the base game (without the playmat) at the regular non-crowd sale price and have it shipped to me simultaneously with my previous order in an effort to reduce shipping costs to Canada? If so, please tell me how this can be done. I can't afford to pay shipping costs separately on two orders. I will appreciate any assistance you can give me.

I can definitely help with the last part.

Go to the main Crowd Sale Page and by the blue “bell” where you can get a reminder, there is a green button that says “Manage Pledge”. After you click on it, you can add more copies of the base game and even add more copies of the Rods and Boats if you want.

I highly encourage fan variants and will be more than willing to help out with any advice on what to be careful with so that you don’t break any of the balance too much. At first glance, what you propose should work alright because the Big thing is just making sure that the Baitshop deck has enough Lures in it to counterbalance losing the Livebait (but the Bait bucket also aliviates that). Also since casts and hooks are prohibited to 1 per turn, you don’t want a ton of them coming out. But Since you are doubling everything, it should still work. You may want to do 7 Baitshop spots instead of 5 if it gets too bogged down.

Glad to see your enthusiasm for TF!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtsedwards wrote:
I am not a fisherwoman by any means, but this game has caught my fancy and I was all ready to go all-in with the expansion and play mat when the shipping to Southern California threw me for a loop. I get that $17 isn't all that much, all things considered, but it does feel a bit painful to pay as much to transport the game to me as it does the game itself. Also kinda sad that you don't get the profits on shipping costs, Greg, coz I'd rather all my money go to you.

Ah, well. I'll probably order all-in anyhow, but I've gotta see what I'm taking off my MM/CSI wishlists to make room for this in my monthly budget.

Yeah I hear you! I’m in the Bay Area CA and it costs $17 for shipping too. I mean that’s basically what a large flat rate costs, or so, but if we can get the total count to 100 on both, that will really make the total overal costs with shipping pretty reasonable. I know we will get it on the base game (I’m prepare to get it there out of my own pocket if it doesn’t!) but I’m not too sure on the mats.

My playmat comes in tomorrow and I plan to take a bunch of pictures of it. Perhaps that will help others decide to add it on and then we can cross 100!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:
Esto wrote:

Go to the main Crowd Sale Page and by the blue “bell” where you can get a reminder, there is a green button that says “Manage Pledge”. After you click on it, you can add more copies of the base game and even add more copies of the Rods and Boats if you want.

I highly encourage fan variants and will be more than willing to help out with any advice on what to be careful with so that you don’t break any of the balance too much. At first glance, what you propose should work alright because the Big thing is just making sure that the Baitshop deck has enough Lures in it to counterbalance losing the Livebait (but the Bait bucket also aliviates that). Also since casts and hooks are prohibited to 1 per turn, you don’t want a ton of them coming out. But Since you are doubling everything, it should still work. You may want to do 7 Baitshop spots instead of 5 if it gets too bogged down.

I appreciate the manner in which you are responding to everyone's inquiries. From all of your comments and videos, it is obvious that you have your heart and soul in this game, which is undoubtedly a "labour of love" for you. I'm also excited about the possibility of future expansions and your plans to support this project long term. I liked the questions you were asking about the various river locations as well as the addition of dice to a future expansion. Those colourful symbols on the dice and the corresponding charts look wonderful --- reminds me a little of crown and anchor with all the possible combinations.

I didn't know it would be that easy to change my pledge in the Crowd Sale. Thanks for your advice on how to do this. I went "whole hog" this morning because I am totally thrilled with the concept of TF. Instead of the playmat, I decided to increase my order from 1 to 3 copies of the base game for even greater flexibility and options for my solo play.

The comments you made to me about losing the Livebait are very valid --- and I might very well designate 7 Baitshop spots if things bog down. I am prepared for the uneven distribution of casts and hooks during gameplay. I have been a gamer for 40+ years (going back all the way to Avalon Hill's Blitzkrieg) and I am fairly good at adding House Rules while still preserving the integrity of the original game design. I am confident that I can do the same with your creation.

I am pleased that you have added the Final Rulebook for me to contemplate while I am waiting for the fishing tournament to commence. I don't have long to wait based on your proposed time line. Keep up the good work. Anything you produce will be an auto-buy for me because I have waited all my life for a realistic fishing simulation.

This year, I have been doubly blessed. The other kind of game that I yearned for all my life was a realistic bird game. I have been an avid fisherman and birder for decades --- and could not understand why no one had thought of producing these titles when the game market has been glutted with all kinds of unique themes.

Now Stonemaier Games has brought out Wingspan to satisfy my birding itch. It has sold out everywhere and received widespread critical acclaim (with 170 accurate paintings of North American birds). It is on its 3rd printing in less than 3 months and is #1 on the BGG Hotness chart. People are clamoring for copies and it is sold out everywhere. Prices as high as $1000 per copy have been asked for on e-bay. I am one of the fortunate ones whose preorder was accepted from a Canadian retailer and I am waiting for 2 copies in May. Wouldn't it be wonderful, Greg, if your game on Tournament Fishing reached the same level of success and notoriety. But I'm afraid it is more of a niche market for dedicated anglers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
tyk567 wrote:
mtsedwards wrote:

Yeah I hear you! I’m in the Bay Area CA and it costs $17 for shipping too. I mean that’s basically what a large flat rate costs, or so, but if we can get the total count to 100 on both, that will really make the total overal costs with shipping pretty reasonable. I know we will get it on the base game (I’m prepare to get it there out of my own pocket if it doesn’t!) but I’m not too sure on the mats.

My playmat comes in tomorrow and I plan to take a bunch of pictures of it. Perhaps that will help others decide to add it on and then we can cross 100!

So what does it say about me that I'm willing to pay more for shipping than all three items combined?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laissez K wrote:
tyk567 wrote:
mtsedwards wrote:

So what does it say about me that I'm willing to pay more for shipping than all three items combined?

That you really like what you see in the game! Thanks so much for that and I wish the shipping were better in other countries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
tyk567 wrote:
Esto wrote:

I appreciate the manner in which you are responding to everyone's inquiries. From all of your comments and videos, it is obvious that you have your heart and soul in this game, which is undoubtedly a "labour of love" for you. I'm also excited about the possibility of future expansions and your plans to support this project long term. I liked the questions you were asking about the various river locations as well as the addition of dice to a future expansion. Those colourful symbols on the dice and the corresponding charts look wonderful --- reminds me a little of crown and anchor with all the possible combinations.

I didn't know it would be that easy to change my pledge in the Crowd Sale. Thanks for your advice on how to do this. I went "whole hog" this morning because I am totally thrilled with the concept of TF. Instead of the playmat, I decided to increase my order from 1 to 3 copies of the base game for even greater flexibility and options for my solo play.

The comments you made to me about losing the Livebait are very valid --- and I might very well designate 7 Baitshop spots if things bog down. I am prepared for the uneven distribution of casts and hooks during gameplay. I have been a gamer for 40+ years (going back all the way to Avalon Hill's Blitzkrieg) and I am fairly good at adding House Rules while still preserving the integrity of the original game design. I am confident that I can do the same with your creation.

I am pleased that you have added the Final Rulebook for me to contemplate while I am waiting for the fishing tournament to commence. I don't have long to wait based on your proposed time line. Keep up the good work. Anything you produce will be an auto-buy for me because I have waited all my life for a realistic fishing simulation.

This year, I have been doubly blessed. The other kind of game that I yearned for all my life was a realistic bird game. I have been an avid fisherman and birder for decades --- and could not understand why no one had thought of producing these titles when the game market has been glutted with all kinds of unique themes.

Now Stonemaier Games has brought out Wingspan to satisfy my birding itch. It has sold out everywhere and received widespread critical acclaim (with 170 accurate paintings of North American birds). It is on its 3rd printing in less than 3 months and is #1 on the BGG Hotness chart. People are clamoring for copies and it is sold out everywhere. Prices as high as $1000 per copy have been asked for on e-bay. I am one of the fortunate ones whose preorder was accepted from a Canadian retailer and I am waiting for 2 copies in May. Wouldn't it be wonderful, Greg, if your game on Tournament Fishing reached the same level of success and notoriety. But I'm afraid it is more of a niche market for dedicated anglers.

Thank you for the in-depth reply! I am thrilled that you are excited about my game. It is, no doubt, my figurative 4th baby and I poured a lot into it, carrying the entire load myself. Whereas most games get designed by one person, developed by another, art done by another, graphic design done by another, etc etc.

That's part of why I went with the Game Crafter as a manufacturer because there is a limit to what one person can "sanely" do, haha. They get to handle all the shipping, and any issues with customer service type things. At the same time, if I had went with Panda in China, and did a Kickstarter, it may have had 1000 backers or more. You never really can tell. But in that case, I would have had to worry about all the other logistics that go into the shipping, missing parts inquiries, returns, etc. I do this as a hobby and so I don't have that kind of time.

At the same time, I am so thrilled to have something I made be able to be obtained and enjoyed by others than my friends and family. And I am thankful to have this option with the Game Crafter so that you and others get a chance to go fishing with me

Wingspan has gotten a ton of attention! You must be on cloud 9 right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Anglers!

We are now at 95 backers on the base game and 38 on the play mat!

Just 5 more are needed to reach the max discount on the base game. Still a long ways on the play mat, but there is a lot of time left.

In the distant future, I may do a larger upgrade box for the game so that the play mat can be rolled and put inside as well as the current box (sort of like they did in Hostage Negotiator: Crime Wave.

Perhaps it will be sort of like a "big box" expansion, not just a box but more stuff too. Or maybe a set of promo's will come with it. We'll see.

Lastly, an idea occurred to me to run a Bi-Annual Tournament on here once all the games get shipped to you all! This would be a structured Tournament where everyone will be playing solo against the AI Angler in 3 successive matches.

To enter, you will play 3 times and record your scores along with the AI Angler's. Then an algorithm will be made that inputs those and scales it to even out the curve. For example, if the AI scores very high and you very low, you will get an adjusted scored that is a bit higher, based on the algorithm.

Prizes will be awarded including pre-release access to Tournament Fishing content!

When the Location Expansion comes out, I will also be able to run this to where each participant uses the same set of locations, behaving like it's the same lake that we are all fishing on.

Let me know what you all think about this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Look at what was on display at TGC’s booth recently
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you all! Very awesome campaign. I look forward to hearing all about your own fishing stories soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.