Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok had a game last night and these two issues came up... the 2nd being the 45 min argument snore

1) When playing a event card that allows you to put free units into an area that is either "empty" or "friendly". I can assume what friendly means, what does empty mean? Does it mean no one controls the card for that area and there are no enemy units there? Or does it simply mean no enemy units? IE my opponent left an area on his homeworld open and I can drop my free units on his backdoor?

2) Units that have no inherent combat value and are assist only. IE Arbiter, Queen, etc... When defending with these units can they be destroyed without splash damage. For example... I'm defending with a Zealot and a Aribter in an area. Terran player comes at me with 3 Battle Cruisers (massive overkill). My Aribter automatically becomes a supporting unit to my zealot. Terrans kill my zealot easily. But since no splash damage occurs does the Arbiter live? If so, this makes those "Assist" only units extremely powerful since it would basically require both your mobilize orders to clear an area with said units.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Riley341 wrote:

1) When playing a event card that allows you to put free units into an area that is either "empty" or "friendly". I can assume what friendly means, what does empty mean?

Empty and Friendly are defined on page 6

Quote:
But since no splash damage occurs does the Arbiter live?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An empty area is any unit without a base or unit. So yep, you could put something into an empty area on the their homeworld.

Also, I think you're right, you need splash damage. Thats probably why splash damage is so powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Supporting Unit and difference between "empty" and "Frie
1) The resource card has absolutely nothing to do with control of an area. It is empty if there are no units or bases on the location. Yes, you can drop right onto an enemy's home world.

2) Assist units are very powerful because they are extremely difficult to destroy. What is worse is that most of them are flying, so you would need air splash damage to kill them. It still only takes one order to take the area though because assist units cannot hold an area. If there are only assist units left on the defending side they have to retreat. ;-) Do remember though that if you attack an area with only assist units *one* of them must be a front line unit, and so will most likely die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeromus wrote:
It still only takes one order to take the area though because assist units cannot hold an area. If there are only assist units left on the defending side they have to retreat. ;-)

I don't understand this? So in my above example... when the Zealot dies, the Aribter has to retreat?? Where does it state that in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Supporting Unit and difference between "empty" and "Frie
Riley341 wrote:
I don't understand this? So in my above example... when the Zealot dies, the Aribter has to retreat?? Where does it state that in the rules?

Page 33:

"Both attacking and defending units survived the battle.
The attack has failed to uproot the defenders from the
area, and all attacking units must now retreat. The only
exception to this is if all the remaining defending units
are “Assist” units (see “Assist” on pages 38–39), in
which case the attacker is victorious and the defender
must now retreat from the area."

So yes, the arbiter buggers off, and there is much rejoicing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhh!!! Thanks for the clarification! Those FFG rulebooks... you read them twice it aint enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks!
badge
Hi, I'm Matt, A radar technician.
mbmbmbmbmb
Riley341 wrote:
Ahhhh!!! Thanks for the clarification! Those FFG rulebooks... you read them twice it aint enough!

Twice, I have not received the game yet and I have read threw them 4 times....

ME WANT GAME
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
model359 wrote:
Riley341 wrote:

Twice, I have not received the game yet and I have read threw them 4 times....

ME WANT GAME

x2 for me... I have a month old druel spot on my coat for this game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.