United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent some work on this expansion idea today and I’d like to reach out to you all for locations on a lake and the “effects” that each one would have for the Lake Spot on top of it. These location will be Tarot sized so that the top and bottom stick out, showing the name and the effect on the top and bottom so that everyone can see around the table.

Here are the locations so far (I need 10 more):

1. Dam
2. Reeds
3. Rocks
4. Dock
5. Bank
6. Lily Pads
7. Open Water - Reel Phase: all yellow debris symbols on Fight cards count as blanks.
8. Creek
9. Stumps - Reel Phase: all yellow debris symbols on Fight cards count as Pops!
10. Weeds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara B. Kaiju
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Sunken logs, river, stream, pond, sandy bottom, sand bar, underwater ledge, drop off, deep water, shallow water, anchored boats or bouys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike A.
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Pick out two!"
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a sunken building? My dad and friends located one at the bottom of Lake Taneycomo with their fish finder and we made a killing at that spot. The effect might be that any fish in that stack will bite any color/type of bait. Perhaps you can somehow link it's use to the fish finder card.

I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for as all of your examples were on top of the water but I thought I'd give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will these fit on the Neoprene mat locations? I’d be a sad fisherman if one of the expansions didn’t work with the mat. Just curious because you mentioned they are tarot sized cards and not sure if that works with the mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Will these fit on the Neoprene mat locations? I’d be a sad fisherman if one of the expansions didn’t work with the mat. Just curious because you mentioned they are tarot sized cards and not sure if that works with the mat.

Great question! This was actually the very first thing that I checked and confirmed before choosing the size. It turned out to be a perfect fit with plenty of space. I can show a picture here of what it will look like set up on the play mat once I finish 5 of the locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:
skyzero wrote:

Great question! This was actually the very first thing that I checked and confirmed before choosing the size. It turned out to be a perfect fit with plenty of space. I can show a picture here of what it will look like set up on the play mat once I finish 5 of the locations.

Fantastic. Locations is a great idea for an expansion. Glad it will fit niecely with the mat. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out, definitely interested in hearing more about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other locations...

Fallen Tree(s)

Shaded Willow Tree shore bank

I’d take the dock one step further with a “yacht club boat docks” type of vibe. A single free standing dock could be a completely different location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara B. Kaiju
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought of sunken boats or ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions on the names! I will use some of them if that is ok? Here is one of the cards and how they will generally look. The rules for adding the expansion to the game will be in the middle of the lake outline (center of card). It's only like a paragraph long so, not much needed to implement.

EDIT -

Updated with a different color scheme and the rules added:

In the normal rules of the game, if the fish gets away during the Reel Phase, you place that fish back to the bottom of the Lake Spot from which it came. This Location breaks that rule, and puts it back on top!

So now you can go after it again the next turn if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike A.
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Pick out two!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg,

Have you given any thought to maybe using these location cards to also create a pre-determined lake based on some real life locations? Like a historical scenario in a war game, you tell the player which location cards to use and where to put them to most accurately reflect the features of real life lakes(as close as possible). You could have a bunch of "lake set-ups" like the historical scenarios you see in a game like "Memoir 44". You could even have a brief description of the real lake, history, etc.

I have no clue what that would or wouldn't do for balance but I thought that would be a fun thing for a player to be able to do. "Fish" in actual real life locations in various parts of the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albs1414 wrote:
Greg,

Have you given any thought to maybe using these location cards to also create a pre-determined lake based on some real life locations? Like a historical scenario in a war game, you tell the player which location cards to use and where to put them to most accurately reflect the features of real life lakes(as close as possible). You could have a bunch of "lake set-ups" like the historical scenarios you see in a game like "Memoir 44". You could even have a brief description of the real lake, history, etc.

I have no clue what that would or wouldn't do for balance but I thought that would be a fun thing for a player to be able to do. "Fish" in actual real life locations in various parts of the US.

Very neat idea! I will think about how to implement that because that sounds awesome! I could even have you take out certain fish from the lake deck according to what type of fish actually can be caught in said lake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a mock-up of how the locations will fit on the play mat in a 1-2 player game.

Here is a 4 player competitive set up with 10 locations (I only have 5 ready and so I duplicated them just for size display). Fits like a charm:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may end up changing the layout to where the name and text is only on the bottom side of the location card. What do you think? I only added it on top thinking that it would be easier to read for Anglers on that side of the table, but they already have to look at the Baitshop supply row upside down, so I don't know if it's needed or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule text is blocking the beautiful background pic, I prefer to have the rule text in the rulebook instead of on the card.

Will this expansion be included in this round of Gamecrafter sale?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
The rule text is blocking the beautiful background pic, I prefer to have the rule text in the rulebook instead of on the card.

Will this expansion be included in this round of Gamecrafter sale?

Thanks

I agree, but remember that the lake cards forming the Lake Spot stack up on top of the location card (see the outline?) and so they block the art (and rules) too.

A rulebook for one paragraph of rules just seems to be too costly. I prefer to put them on a card that comes in the pack or, it that would take up a valuable slot, on the cards like this.

I will make the PnP available soon, but I still need to test and balance the effects before it goes live. That will take some time. So not for this crowd sale, but maybe the next if there is another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:
I may end up changing the layout to where the name and text is only on the bottom side of the location card. What do you think? I only added it on top thinking that it would be easier to read for Anglers on that side of the table, but they already have to look at the Baitshop supply row upside down, so I don't know if it's needed or not.

When I saw the initial layout, my first thought was only having the name and text on the top side. Maybe create two version and run BGG pole to see what everyone thinks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood....

Can't wait to go fishing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
Understood....

Can't wait to go fishing

If you have Tabletop Simulator, you can fish it now. But TGC estimates April 21 Ship date! So very soon, the real deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
When I saw the initial layout, my first thought was only having the name and text on the top side. Maybe create two version and run BGG pole to see what everyone thinks!

I love how you said BGG pole!

A.) Bottom Only

B.) Top and Bottom

Poll
Which layout do you like better?
A.) Bottom Only
B.) Top and Bottom
      10 answers
Poll created by tyk567

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the idea I have for this would be to have 10 Tarot cards in the expansion, each of which has a unique front and back-side location (for a total of 20).

I have 12 so far that can be seen here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good, I mean really good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
Looks good, I mean really good!

Thanks!

Finished 20...phew! The last few wracked my brain for what to call them and what effects to give.

I printed these out and am going to playtest tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

After a first playtest, it was actually pretty fun! I enjoyed the extra layer to the decisions and the little bonus moments that it led to.

One example was that there was a 10 point Striper Bass on a Lily Pad (which dropped its power to 8 essentially). That little boost came into great effect as I was eventually able to land it (the 3 blanks on the fight cards helped too haha!).

However this playtest got me to thinking that it sure is a shame to see the artwork on the locations covered up by the lake spots on top.

And so my brains started sparking new ideas.

Here it goes.

So I am thinking of making 4 Boat tokens in each of the 4 colors; black, green, yellow, red. Each player will get one to start the Tournament and place it on the starting location which will always be the Baitshop Card.

Then 4 locations will be turned over from the location deck. Each location other than the Baitshop will have a certain number of boat slots depending on the general size, ranging from 1 to 3. During an Angler’s turn, they will have now have an extra phase before the search phase and the buy phase will include a new step.

Move Phase - this new phase allows the Angler to move from one location to another with a free boat slot and place their token on it. If they start the phase and their location does not have a free slot, they must move to a new one. otherwise, they may stay on that location if they wish. If a location is already full, they may not move to it.

While their boat is on a location, all of the lake spots gain the corresponding effect. Whereas in the version that I playtested tonight, each lake spot had a different effect, this new version allows you to travel around to gain different effects at the right moments and all the lake spots gain the same effect during your turn.

During the buy phase, if you want to buy cards, you must move your boat token back to the Baitshop location card, freeing up the location. This essentially adds a worker placement element to the game.

I will redo the cards and test this idea out tomorrow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So one could scan various lake spots to learn what is there, then on a subsequent turn move to an advantageous location (and the fish follow along, apparently) to make catching those particular fish easier?

Granted: forewarned is forearmed, but this would seem to fundamentally change the game. Intended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the continuous improvement.

To be honest, I feel that your latest location worker-placement idea only adds the complexity, but not really much gameplay. The original fishing mechanism is already “tough” to catch the fish (passing the cast phrase and reel phrase, plus saving the card to buy new gear after).

Plus, don’t really know how it works with the AI angler...

I prefer to keep the initial design which just has 4 location cards adding different effects on top of the cast-reel-buy deckbuilding mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.