Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

Tournament Fishing: The Deckbuilding Game» Forums » General

Subject: Location Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RockLobster wrote:
So one could scan various lake spots to learn what is there, then on a subsequent turn move to an advantageous location (and the fish follow along, apparently) to make catching those particular fish easier?

Granted: forewarned is forearmed, but this would seem to fundamentally change the game. Intended?


I don’t think it fundamentally changes the game per say. In essence, what it does it gives you an extra bonus each turn that you don’t have in the normal game. It makes the game a bit easier, but at the same time keeps the same feel.

But yes, the fish on the lake spots remain static as normal, you are just abstractly moving around to different locations to get the bonuses in order to catch them easier (hopefully). In Multiplayer, there will be times where you get blocked from where you want to go and I will also figure out a way to make the AI block locations too.

Of course, I could just leave it like I playtested with. I won 37-32 and it was very fun. Nothing is set in stone on this one yet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
Thanks for the continuous improvement.

To be honest, I feel that your latest location worker-placement idea only adds the complexity, but not really much gameplay. The original fishing mechanism is already “tough” to catch the fish (passing the cast phrase and reel phrase, plus saving the card to buy new gear after).

Plus, don’t really know how it works with the AI angler...

I prefer to keep the initial design which just has 4 location cards adding different effects on top of the cast-reel-buy deckbuilding mechanism.


Thanks for the input! I actually don’t think it makes it more complex as far as thought process goes. Having the 5 lake spots have 5 different effects and the effect changing with each cast attempt is actually probably more complex when it comes to planning out what to do.

But if your decision is to move your boat to a location and then only have 1 extra effect to track on all your casts, it’s a bit less complex.

However I am going to test both ways to see which is better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:
In essence, what it does it gives you an extra bonus each turn that you don’t have in the normal game.

Ah; I get it now. Thank you!

I look very forward to seeing how this turns out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:
ah3Dog wrote:
Thanks for the continuous improvement.

To be honest, I feel that your latest location worker-placement idea only adds the complexity, but not really much gameplay. The original fishing mechanism is already “tough” to catch the fish (passing the cast phrase and reel phrase, plus saving the card to buy new gear after).

Plus, don’t really know how it works with the AI angler...

I prefer to keep the initial design which just has 4 location cards adding different effects on top of the cast-reel-buy deckbuilding mechanism.


Thanks for the input! I actually don’t think it makes it more complex as far as thought process goes. Having the 5 lake spots have 5 different effects and the effect changing with each cast attempt is actually probably more complex when it comes to planning out what to do.

But if your decision is to move your boat to a location and then only have 1 extra effect to track on all your casts, it’s a bit less complex.

However I am going to test both ways to see which is better.


I have to agree with ah3Dog. I like your original concept better --- no matter if it makes it easier or tougher to catch fish. The worker placement idea of the boats does not fit in very smoothly with the clever way you have designed this game (at least that is my opinion.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed 2 sets of Location cards and taped them on 4 X 6 index cards. They fit perfectly and look beautiful. Since I only play solo, I will have space beneath the 5 lake spots to place the precise locations --- which will definitely enhance the theme and increase the feeling of realism. I like the possibility of getting 2 locations that are identical during my random rolls.

I am very impressed with the way in which the designer has paired up the fishing actions/events with the various lake locations. Everything makes complete sense.

Now if only I can be lucky enough to get 2 Lily Pads in one of my fishing tournaments. That would really make my day.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
I printed 2 sets of Location cards and taped them on 4 X 6 index cards. They fit perfectly and look beautiful. Since I only play solo, I will have space beneath the 5 lake spots to place the precise locations --- which will definitely enhance the theme and increase the feeling of realism. I like the possibility of getting 2 locations that are identical during my random rolls.

I am very impressed with the way in which the designer has paired up the fishing actions/events with the various lake locations. Everything makes complete sense.

Now if only I can be lucky enough to get 2 Lily Pads in one of my fishing tournaments. That would really make my day.


Awesome Jimmy! I am glad that you liked them and your setup sounds awesome! Having multiple of the same locations out is actually very thematic as well, since there are obviously various spots around the lake that have the same features.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg, I randomly rolled for a Sunken Tree in one of my lake spots. This says that pike require 2 less to attract. I scanned that lake spot and discovered an Alligator Gar. I assume it's a pike because it's alternate name is "garpike". Can you confirm for me?

Also, it would be useful to have a definitive list of which fish come under those categories that are featured in your "lake location" set. Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
Greg, I randomly rolled for a Sunken Tree in one of my lake spots. This says that pike require 2 less to attract. I scanned that lake spot and discovered an Alligator Gar. I assume it's a pike because it's alternate name is "garpike". Can you confirm for me?

Also, it would be useful to have a definitive list of which fish come under those categories that are featured in your "lake location" set. Thanks.


I intended that one to be a "Gar" type which is different from the Pike fish. So it would not get the bonus from that Location.

I made an edit to the Spawning Bed location (very recently) and added in Gar to that one, because I had initially left them out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I am going to do a new deck box with dividers for the deluxe upgrade #2, I am converting the location cards over to normal Poker sized cards instead of tarot.

There will be 17 unique Locations with 1 rules card as in the others.



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, I just printed one set in last weekend
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
Oh no, I just printed one set in last weekend


You can use those until these come out. Remember that the Location and Weather expansions in the PnP folder are works in progress and subject to change.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious as to which 3 Locations you are thinking of excluding from your printed cards.

Right now, I'm using a 20-sided die to do random rolls for each lake spot.
I certainly do get some interesting (and realistic) lake configurations from using this method.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
I'm curious as to which 3 Locations you are thinking of excluding from your printed cards.

Right now, I'm using a 20-sided die to do random rolls for each lake spot.
I certainly do get some interesting (and realistic) lake configurations from using this method.


Currently figuring out which 3 to leave out, however they may end up coming back in the future.


Here is the cardback:


And what a final Location card will look like:
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m.s. edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So gorgeous...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.