Wingspan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card power clarification with "Gain Food" action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tyler evans
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
What if my card says gain mice when someone does "gain food" and gains any number of mice. Will this also trigger if he has a power card that allows him to grab a mouse die to cache on his card? His power card was triggered after taking the gain food action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would only trigger if another player specifically took the "Gain Food" action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it does ... as long as the card doesn't specify that the rodents are gained "from the birdfeeder."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tyler evans
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
DMountford wrote:
I would say it does ... as long as the card doesn't specify that the rodents are gained "from the birdfeeder."
The card says roll the dice that are located outside of the bird feeder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tyler evans
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
It would only trigger if another player specifically took the "Gain Food" action.
Yes, but the card that allowed him to get a mouse was triggered in the same row as the gain food action. So I guess my question is... is the "gain food" action just where the cube starts (right most of the row) or through the entire sequence with powers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you post the exact text on the card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tyler evans
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
Can you post the exact text on the card?
My card is loggerhead shrike. "once between turns: when another player takes the "gain food" action, if they gain any number of mice, also gain 1 mice from the supply and can he it on this card.

His card is barn owl (located in the wood lands). When activated: roll all dice not in bird feeder if any are mice gain one mice and cache it on this card"

So will my card activate when his is activated on the gain food row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Looney Llama
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I would think not. The owl is not being activated by the"gain food" action. It is being activated by its unique card action. Your shrike can only gain food when another player takes a mouse from the bird feeder from the "gain food" action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure my answer stands (and that Eric is correct), but I'm going to loop in Elizabeth to make sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Durrett
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Mosso wrote:
I would think not. The owl is not being activated by the"gain food" action. It is being activated by its unique card action. Your shrike can only gain food when another player takes a mouse from the bird feeder from the "gain food" action.
Exactly. The "Gain Food" action is the first thing performed in the row, when placing your cube. Anything else that happens after that is not the "Gain Food" action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Neeve
United Kingdom
Lowestoft
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
Trawlerboy
mbmbmbmbmb
His card is barn owl (located in the wood lands). When activated: roll all dice not in bird feeder if any are mice gain one mice and cache it on this card"
‘Gain one mice’ (sic) sounds like a gain food action to me. I think it triggers your pink action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Looney Llama
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
John,

You're confusing the "gain food" action with gaining food from a special card action. If you look at the text on the card you can see that Elizabeth means taking food from the bird feeder. The part that says if a player takes 'any number of mice'is the giveaway. That can only happen when gaining food from the bird feeder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Hargrave
United States
Silver Spring
MD
flag msg tools
designer
I agree with Jamey and Greg. Predators aren't gaining good with the gain food action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Cokayne
United Kingdom
Preston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also agree, the Shrike specifically states "when another player takes the "gain food" action".

Predator triggers are specifically not an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alireza Bahri
Iran
msg tools
Hi every one. I have an other question. If some brown power says that every player gain one food from the birdfeeder starting with your choice and a player gain one mouse from the birdfeeder. So is this a gain food action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Bahhri wrote:
Hi every one. I have an other question. If some brown power says that every player gain one food from the birdfeeder starting with your choice and a player gain one mouse from the birdfeeder. So is this a gain food action?
I'd say not. You may "gain food" from the birdfeeder as an effect of a variety of things, but you only "take the gain food action" when it is your turn to take an action. An action is a specific thing, including placing one of your cubes to initiate a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ketchum
United States
New Castle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Bahhri wrote:
I'd say not. You may "gain food" from the birdfeeder as an effect of a variety of things, but you only "take the gain food action" when it is your turn to take an action. An action is a specific thing, including placing one of your cubes to initiate a row.
Incorrect. When you are about to gain food AT ANY TIME. If you have the bird that says you get all the fish and there's only one mouse, you can re-roll, as an example. I didn't even know it went that far, but the designers clarified it on another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
stout_rugger wrote:
wombat929 wrote:
Bahhri wrote:
Incorrect. When you are about to gain food AT ANY TIME. If you have the bird that says you get all the fish and there's only one mouse, you can re-roll, as an example. I didn't even know it went that far, but the designers clarified it on another thread.
While that's true for purposes of re-rolling dice, it doesn't apply to this situation. Gaining food from card effects wouldn't trigger this bird, as clarified above by the developer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McGeorge
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
stout_rugger wrote:
wombat929 wrote:
Bahhri wrote:
While that's true for purposes of re-rolling dice, it doesn't apply to this situation. Gaining food from card effects wouldn't trigger this bird, as clarified above by the developer.
I think the key thing to look at here is whether you take from the birdfeeder. If a power tells you to take a mice [sic] from the supply, that would not qualify for being able to reroll. If the power says to take a mice from the birdfeeder if one is available and the birdfeeder shows only one die face (whether it's a mice or not), the player would have the option to reroll all dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Washington
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking the "gain food" action is different than simply "gaining food." It's hard to wrap your head around and I wish there was a way to differentiate between them.

If it's someone's turn and they are placing a cube, it's the gain food action. If it's a brown power being triggered, it's not the gain food action. In this case, the words "gain food" are simply describing the act of taking a food token out of the supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ketchum
United States
New Castle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
stout_rugger wrote:
wombat929 wrote:
Bahhri wrote:
Incorrect again, as the developer clarified about a bird that gains FROM THE SUPPLY. When gaining from the supply, you do not get to re-roll the bird feeder. As has been covered over many threads, and by the designers, if you are to gain food from the bird feeder, and only one face is showing, you are entitled to a re-roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stout_rugger wrote:
runtsta wrote:
stout_rugger wrote:
wombat929 wrote:
Bahhri wrote:
Incorrect again, as the developer clarified about a bird that gains FROM THE SUPPLY. When gaining from the supply, you do not get to re-roll the bird feeder. As has been covered over many threads, and by the designers, if you are to gain food from the bird feeder, and only one face is showing, you are entitled to a re-roll.
Once again, this question has NOTHING to do with re-rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Washington
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the two question that have been asked. I've edited the questions and added the bold words to (hopefully) add clarity.

ptjevans wrote:
What if My pink power card says gain mice when someone does the "gain food" action and gains any number of mice. Will this also trigger if he has a brown power card that allows him to grab a mouse die to cache a mouse on his card? His brown power card was triggered after taking the gain food action.
Bahhri wrote:
Hi every one. I have another question. If someone's brown power card says that every player gains one food from the birdfeeder starting with your choice "WHEN ACTIVATED: Each player gains 1 food from the birdfeeder, starting with the player of your choice" and a player gains one mouse from the birdfeeder, is this a gain food action?
They are both essentially the same question and the answer to both is no. Using a brown power card to gain food is not the same as a "gain food" action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ketchum
United States
New Castle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonWashington wrote:
These are the two question that have been asked. I've edited the questions and added the bold words to (hopefully) add clarity.

ptjevans wrote:
What if My pink power card says gain mice when someone does the "gain food" action and gains any number of mice. Will this also trigger if he has a brown power card that allows him to grab a mouse die to cache a mouse on his card? His brown power card was triggered after taking the gain food action.
Bahhri wrote:
Hi every one. I have another question. If someone's brown power card says that every player gains one food from the birdfeeder starting with your choice "WHEN ACTIVATED: Each player gains 1 food from the birdfeeder, starting with the player of your choice" and a player gains one mouse from the birdfeeder, is this a gain food action?
They are both essentially the same question and the answer to both is no. Using a brown power card to gain food is not the same as a "gain food" action.
When taking from the bird feeder (not the supply) at any time, you may re-roll. The designers have said this on many occasions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stout_rugger wrote:
JonWashington wrote:

ptjevans wrote:
Bahhri wrote:
When taking from the bird feeder (not the supply) at any time, you may re-roll. The designers have said this on many occasions.
No one is disagreeing with you. It's just not relevant to the question. Read the above more carefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls