Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
79 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: Moderation Transparency Suggestion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: OP_deleted [+] [View All]
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Orchestra - Live at the Village Vanguard
badge
Giraffes on Horseback Salad - Josh Frank, Tim Heidecer / Illustrated by Manuela Pertega
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the problem there would be that you'd need to see both the (now deleted) comment and the ruling together in order to judge the fairness of application. In the end, it's better to simply accept that it happened and move on.

(People have been trying to suggest ways to handle moderation for years; it's long been clear that they aren't seeking input. Best to let that go as well; it's their house and we must abide with their rules when we visit.)
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I think the problem there would be that you'd need to see both the (now deleted) comment and the ruling together in order to judge the fairness of application. In the end, it's better to simply accept that it happened and move on.

(People have been trying to suggest ways to handle moderation for years; it's long been clear that they aren't seeking input. Best to let that go as well; it's their house and we must abide with their rules when we visit.)


Did the OP delete their OP?

Well, that's moderation at its most fundamental form.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great to be able to inspect deleted content, as well as the reason given for deletion. The forbidden always makes us curious.

Another website I frequent has a "sink trap". This is where all deleted content ends up. You can check it out if you like. It's a good solution. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
Sphere wrote:
People have been trying to suggest ways to handle moderation for years; it's long been clear that they aren't seeking input.
Sadly, absolutely true.

Sphere wrote:
Best to let that go as well; it's their house and we must abide with their rules when we visit.
While I can appreciate the sentiment, it would be nice if they at least gave a polite nod towards folks who have spent over a decade here (as we both have) instead of sweeping up members in good standing during these latest overzealous efforts in over-modding.

So while it might be "their house," the folks who visit are the ones paying the bills. And I have seen a sadly increasing amount of good folks either reduce their time spent on BGG or leave in various states of anger at some of the overbearing hair-trigger policies BGG wants to push from the top-down these days.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This place exists because of user generated content and the forums.

Without that it's just ads and con news that every site has.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
This place exists because of user generated content and the forums.

Without that it's just ads and con news that every site has.


To be fair, it also has a bit of a database.
9 
 Thumb up
0.07
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
luftwaffe flak wrote:
It's nice to see now that we can see when Mods delete posts. However, the reasons stated are often vague and blanket like.

Here's my humble suggestion:
In the area where it says 'Post removed by moderator' why not add the detail of what rule was broken from the Community Rules?

EG:
'Post removed by moderator - Trolling'

That way it lets the community know what rule was broken without breaking the rule of disclosing the punishment inflicted/reasons of punishment.

I think this would help the mods too, as they would have to attach a reason and can reference their own work as to whether or not it actually breaks a rule or not.

Thanks for your time!
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to request that users clearly state the details of why they have deleted their own posts. That way it would let the community know why certain threads whose OPs have vanished are so hard to follow.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
This place exists because of user generated content and the forums.

Without that it's just ads and con news that every site has.


To be fair, it also has a bit of a database.



Yes. That's loaded almost entirely with user generated content.
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
This place exists because of user generated content and the forums.

Without that it's just ads and con news that every site has.


To be fair, it also has a bit of a database.



Yes. That's loaded almost entirely with user generated content.

Technically true, but fundamentally different than the type of user generated content that is subject to moderation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
This place exists because of user generated content and the forums.

Without that it's just ads and con news that every site has.


To be fair, it also has a bit of a database.



Yes. That's loaded almost entirely with user generated content.


Oh, the paradox.





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
This place exists because of user generated content and the forums.

Without that it's just ads and con news that every site has.


To be fair, it also has a bit of a database.



Yes. That's loaded almost entirely with user generated content.

Technically true, but fundamentally different than the type of user generated content that is subject to moderation.


All the content on the site goes through moderation. First GeekMod and then it gets approved or rejected. Even then it can still be subject to reporting.

Personal photos can be uploaded, but they are subject to "x" ing.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
This place exists because of user generated content and the forums.

Without that it's just ads and con news that every site has.


To be fair, it also has a bit of a database.



Yes. That's loaded almost entirely with user generated content.

Technically true, but fundamentally different than the type of user generated content that is subject to moderation.


All the content on the site goes through moderation. First GeekMod and then it gets approved or rejected. Even then it can still be subject to reporting.

Personal photos can be uploaded, but they are subject to "x" ing.





OK.

It is still a DB.

A DB with a lot of garbage.

It still doesn't mean that I want rotting carcasses popping up when I'm digging through the shit-pile.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
This place exists because of user generated content and the forums.

Without that it's just ads and con news that every site has.


To be fair, it also has a bit of a database.



Yes. That's loaded almost entirely with user generated content.

Technically true, but fundamentally different than the type of user generated content that is subject to moderation.


All the content on the site goes through moderation. First GeekMod and then it gets approved or rejected. Even then it can still be subject to reporting.

Personal photos can be uploaded, but they are subject to "x" ing.





OK.

It is still a DB.

A DB with a lot of garbage.

It still doesn't mean that I want rotting carcasses popping up when I'm digging through the shit-pile.



Good rebuttal.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
This place exists because of user generated content and the forums.

Without that it's just ads and con news that every site has.


To be fair, it also has a bit of a database.



Yes. That's loaded almost entirely with user generated content.

Technically true, but fundamentally different than the type of user generated content that is subject to moderation.


All the content on the site goes through moderation. First GeekMod and then it gets approved or rejected. Even then it can still be subject to reporting.

Personal photos can be uploaded, but they are subject to "x" ing.




STILL TECHNICALLY TRUE but clearly not what this thread is about. What is your point?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
This place exists because of user generated content and the forums.

Without that it's just ads and con news that every site has.


To be fair, it also has a bit of a database.



Yes. That's loaded almost entirely with user generated content.

Technically true, but fundamentally different than the type of user generated content that is subject to moderation.


All the content on the site goes through moderation. First GeekMod and then it gets approved or rejected. Even then it can still be subject to reporting.

Personal photos can be uploaded, but they are subject to "x" ing.




STILL TECHNICALLY TRUE but clearly not what this thread is about. What is your point?


It's just true, no technical about it.

The point is that this place exists because of user content that people have submitted over the years. Without that it is nothing but an ad site re posting press releases.

The forums are a very necessary part of that content, sometimes over and above the database aspects.

The rather excessive moderation that we have seen lately is the one thing that can destroy all that and push users away.

Deleting offensive and insulting content is one thing.

Deleting conversation is another.



3 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
The rather excessive moderation that we have seen lately is the one thing that can destroy all that and push users away.

Ah, I see the problem here. You're jumping to wild, unsupported conclusions. That explains the disconnect.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
grant5 wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
This place exists because of user generated content and the forums.

Without that it's just ads and con news that every site has.


To be fair, it also has a bit of a database.



Yes. That's loaded almost entirely with user generated content.

Technically true, but fundamentally different than the type of user generated content that is subject to moderation.


All the content on the site goes through moderation. First GeekMod and then it gets approved or rejected. Even then it can still be subject to reporting.

Personal photos can be uploaded, but they are subject to "x" ing.




STILL TECHNICALLY TRUE but clearly not what this thread is about. What is your point?


It's just true, no technical about it.

The point is that this place exists because of user content that people have submitted over the years. Without that it is nothing but an ad site re posting press releases.

The forums are a very necessary part of that content, sometimes over and above the database aspects.

The rather excessive moderation that we have seen lately is the one thing that can destroy all that and push users away.

Deleting offensive and insulting content is one thing.

Deleting conversation is another.





Deleting shit content is never a bad thing.

The sky isn't falling.

I can point out multiple examples of why users would walk away from the site that have nothing to do with moderation, but I'm not worrying about it.

If one feels stifled from moderation that helps keep the site not only relevant, but positive, then this site isn't for that user. Perhaps 8chud or other cesspools is a better locale?



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a way to see what's being deleted, and the reason why.

This would make me feel a lot more comfortable about the moderation that sometimes appears overly heavy-handed. When I notice a controversial topic that demands attention and see that a third of the posts have already been deleted, I feel like someone's trying to hide something from me. High-handed moderators with an agenda are a time-tested way to destroy any forum. Right now, we simply don't know what's happening and have no way to know.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
I'd like a way to see what's being deleted, and the reason why.

This would make me feel a lot more comfortable about the moderation that sometimes appears overly heavy-handed. When I notice a controversial topic that demands attention and see that a third of the posts have already been deleted, I feel like someone's trying to hide something from me. High-handed moderators with an agenda are a time-tested way to destroy any forum. Right now, we simply don't know what's happening and have no way to know.


Not sure about anything on this website that 'demands attention'.
One person's high -handed moderation is another person just glad they don't have to wade through the shit to get involved in a debate.

(And yes I've had stuff moderated and removed, and I'm OK with that.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
I'd like a way to see what's being deleted, and the reason why.

This would make me feel a lot more comfortable about the moderation that sometimes appears overly heavy-handed. When I notice a controversial topic that demands attention and see that a third of the posts have already been deleted, I feel like someone's trying to hide something from me. High-handed moderators with an agenda are a time-tested way to destroy any forum. Right now, we simply don't know what's happening and have no way to know.


OK, let's play.

So, you are trying to understand moderation schemes for thread A, B, C?

And if you disagree with said schemes, you will do what?


Just like if you disagree with the new scheme (completely removing the offending turds), you will do what?


Seems, like your flight manual will eventually result in you leaving the orbit, because you don't agree with something about this site.


And not that I want to see you fly away, but it seems to me that if that is your requirement - so, you either need to change that or fly away, because you are never going to be happy here.

Unless you have a way out of this obvious outcome trap.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?

There are a lot of people that will slow down or stop to gawk at a car crash. And yet the authorities and emergency responders want them to move them along. Why?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?


So, we are to worry about the human lizard brain with all things? Christ, I wouldn't be able to get through a single day if I was worrying about appeasing the base instincts of those around me.

C'mon, how does worrying about this shit improve the site, the community, and my experience?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?


But I thought this was about the perception that the users had a say in how things are run around here? That misperception that they are the hands around the bell jar, rather than the fly.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.