Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
79 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: Moderation Transparency Suggestion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: OP_deleted [+] [View All]
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?

There are a lot of people that will slow down or stop to gawk at a car crash. And yet the authorities and emergency responders want them to move them along. Why?

Because it causes a traffic jam on the road. This is website; there is no traffic jam.

Other sites allow you to see what's been removed in a special area. I'd like to see that here, too. It's also like meta-moderation. It allows you to make sure the mods are doing a good job.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
tumorous wrote:
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?

There are a lot of people that will slow down or stop to gawk at a car crash. And yet the authorities and emergency responders want them to move them along. Why?

Because it causes a traffic jam on the road. This is website; there is no traffic jam.

Other sites allow you to see what's been removed in a special area. I'd like to see that here, too. It's also like meta-moderation. It allows you to make sure the mods are doing a good job.


what do you think is being removed that shouldn't be?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
petegs wrote:
jumbit wrote:
tumorous wrote:
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?

There are a lot of people that will slow down or stop to gawk at a car crash. And yet the authorities and emergency responders want them to move them along. Why?

Because it causes a traffic jam on the road. This is website; there is no traffic jam.

Other sites allow you to see what's been removed in a special area. I'd like to see that here, too. It's also like meta-moderation. It allows you to make sure the mods are doing a good job.


what do you think is being removed that shouldn't be?

We don't know and we can't know. That's the issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
petegs wrote:
jumbit wrote:
tumorous wrote:
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?

There are a lot of people that will slow down or stop to gawk at a car crash. And yet the authorities and emergency responders want them to move them along. Why?

Because it causes a traffic jam on the road. This is website; there is no traffic jam.

Other sites allow you to see what's been removed in a special area. I'd like to see that here, too. It's also like meta-moderation. It allows you to make sure the mods are doing a good job.


what do you think is being removed that shouldn't be?

We don't know and we can't know. That's the issue.


Why do we need to know? The community rules lay it out pretty nicely.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?

There are a lot of people that will slow down or stop to gawk at a car crash. And yet the authorities and emergency responders want them to move them along. Why?
That's me he's talking about.

Pete (greatly enjoyed the gawking before the moderation change)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
petegs wrote:
jumbit wrote:
petegs wrote:
jumbit wrote:
tumorous wrote:
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?

There are a lot of people that will slow down or stop to gawk at a car crash. And yet the authorities and emergency responders want them to move them along. Why?

Because it causes a traffic jam on the road. This is website; there is no traffic jam.

Other sites allow you to see what's been removed in a special area. I'd like to see that here, too. It's also like meta-moderation. It allows you to make sure the mods are doing a good job.


what do you think is being removed that shouldn't be?

We don't know and we can't know. That's the issue.


Why do we need to know? The community rules lay it out pretty nicely.
Do we need to go back to the sock drawer?

Pete (wouldn't recommend it)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
petegs wrote:
jumbit wrote:
petegs wrote:
jumbit wrote:
tumorous wrote:
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?

There are a lot of people that will slow down or stop to gawk at a car crash. And yet the authorities and emergency responders want them to move them along. Why?

Because it causes a traffic jam on the road. This is website; there is no traffic jam.

Other sites allow you to see what's been removed in a special area. I'd like to see that here, too. It's also like meta-moderation. It allows you to make sure the mods are doing a good job.


what do you think is being removed that shouldn't be?

We don't know and we can't know. That's the issue.


Why do we need to know? The community rules lay it out pretty nicely.
Do we need to go back to the sock drawer?

Pete (wouldn't recommend it)


“Nobody puts baby in the sock drawer”
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
petegs wrote:
jumbit wrote:
tumorous wrote:
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?

There are a lot of people that will slow down or stop to gawk at a car crash. And yet the authorities and emergency responders want them to move them along. Why?

Because it causes a traffic jam on the road. This is website; there is no traffic jam.

Other sites allow you to see what's been removed in a special area. I'd like to see that here, too. It's also like meta-moderation. It allows you to make sure the mods are doing a good job.


what do you think is being removed that shouldn't be?

We don't know and we can't know. That's the issue.
so you don't trust the mods? you don't trust that the mods are doing what is best for the site?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
I suspect the desire to see deleted content, is to provide more ammunition to complain about the moderation.

If it is really just for '*rubber-necking' an accident, then I'd recommend your local gutter press or twitter, as they'll have much more juicy stuff than you'll find here.

Regards
Ian

* A phrase describing people who twist their necks to see the gory details of a car crash. FWIW it's not any further delay that the police dislike, but the follow-on accidents caused by people focusing on the accident rather than the road ahead. Which rather neatly fits the analogy here.
5 
 Thumb up
3.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
so you don't trust the mods?


I'm seeing more moderation, and when I do see it - I don't see a single deleted post that crossed the line with the buildup of someone getting too worked up; instead I see 5-7 posts on a page deleted. So while the deleted posts might all be from the same person, it instead looks like many people were silenced. This seams extreme and heavy handed for the community of people here on BGG.

That is making me lose trust. This is happening at the same time (other) social media platforms are black-balling and un-personing those who don't share the political views of the owners. BGG doesn't exist in isolation, so what other people do with their power makes it too easy to assume BGG is doing with theirs.

In general suspicion is rising and therefore trust is lowering.

Quote:
you don't trust that the mods are doing what is best for the site?


Best for the community of the site, or best for doing business of selling ads? Amazon removed the forums and community of not just Gold Box deals, and their store site, but from IMDB as well - because it was incompatible with their business goals.

I want to believe, I've never actually known, and trust is being attacked by their own actions.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
so you don't trust the mods?


I'm seeing more moderation, and when I do see it - I don't see a single deleted post that crossed the line with the buildup of someone getting too worked up; instead I see 5-7 posts on a page deleted. So while the deleted posts might all be from the same person, it instead looks like many people were silenced. This seams extreme and heavy handed for the community of people here on BGG.

That is making me lose trust. This is happening at the same time (other) social media platforms are black-balling and un-personing those who don't share the political views of the owners. BGG doesn't exist in isolation, so what other people do with their power makes it too easy to assume BGG is doing with theirs.

In general suspicion is rising and therefore trust is lowering.

Quote:
you don't trust that the mods are doing what is best for the site?


Best for the community of the site, or best for doing business of selling ads? Amazon removed the forums and community of not just Gold Box deals, and their store site, but from IMDB as well - because it was incompatible with their business goals.

I want to believe, I've never actually known, and trust is being attacked by their own actions.


OK, I'll drop a quarter in the player...


and how does trust affect the usage of a site about toys? Is this site directing and affecting one's life, apart from the toys?

How does my trust in this site affect my ability to read details of the toys I use? DL the rules or aids that I need?

Who the fuck guides any of life's essential activities around whatever is posted on this site? Why do I give two shits what are the leanings of the ownership and administrators, if they aren't damaging the core mission of this site - to discuss playing with toys, to support the playing with toys, and to provide a platform to learn about toys?

There are touchstones that are important for life, and this site is not one of them. It is important for the toys we enjoy, but not a GD thing more.



5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Avatar
yaverot wrote:
I'm seeing more moderation, and when I do see it - I don't see a single deleted post that crossed the line with the buildup of someone getting too worked up; instead I see 5-7 posts on a page deleted. So while the deleted posts might all be from the same person, it instead looks like many people were silenced. This seams extreme and heavy handed for the community of people here on BGG.


You seem to be unaware that all replies to deleted content are also deleted, as a matter of policy.

Meta-comments about moderation are also deleted, unless in a thread specifically about moderation, again as a matter of policy.

That easily covers the majority of deletions. The "problematic" content that is proactively deleted is a smaller chunk.

An active user/reader of the site, particularly of potentially volatile threads, will see plenty that is later deleted. That will give one a fairly good feel for what ends up disappearing.

While I (often!) disagree with the specifics of what Octavian deletes, in all fairness, he does seem to be sticking to his remit/the stated policies.



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
jumbit wrote:
petegs wrote:
jumbit wrote:
tumorous wrote:
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?

There are a lot of people that will slow down or stop to gawk at a car crash. And yet the authorities and emergency responders want them to move them along. Why?

Because it causes a traffic jam on the road. This is website; there is no traffic jam.

Other sites allow you to see what's been removed in a special area. I'd like to see that here, too. It's also like meta-moderation. It allows you to make sure the mods are doing a good job.


what do you think is being removed that shouldn't be?

We don't know and we can't know. That's the issue.
so you don't trust the mods? you don't trust that the mods are doing what is best for the site?
Oooh...that got a bit Orwellian quick, didn't it?

Pete (does trust the mods, but doesn't like that rhetoric)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
jumbit wrote:
petegs wrote:
jumbit wrote:
tumorous wrote:
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?

There are a lot of people that will slow down or stop to gawk at a car crash. And yet the authorities and emergency responders want them to move them along. Why?

Because it causes a traffic jam on the road. This is website; there is no traffic jam.

Other sites allow you to see what's been removed in a special area. I'd like to see that here, too. It's also like meta-moderation. It allows you to make sure the mods are doing a good job.


what do you think is being removed that shouldn't be?

We don't know and we can't know. That's the issue.
so you don't trust the mods? you don't trust that the mods are doing what is best for the site?
Oooh...that got a bit Orwellian quick, didn't it?

Pete (does trust the mods, but doesn't like that rhetoric)

I want the mods to develop a tool that just auto-deletes parenthetical signatures.

Grant (is joking)

(sort of)

(ok not really)

()
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
jumbit wrote:
petegs wrote:
jumbit wrote:
tumorous wrote:
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?

There are a lot of people that will slow down or stop to gawk at a car crash. And yet the authorities and emergency responders want them to move them along. Why?

Because it causes a traffic jam on the road. This is website; there is no traffic jam.

Other sites allow you to see what's been removed in a special area. I'd like to see that here, too. It's also like meta-moderation. It allows you to make sure the mods are doing a good job.


what do you think is being removed that shouldn't be?

We don't know and we can't know. That's the issue.
so you don't trust the mods? you don't trust that the mods are doing what is best for the site?
Oooh...that got a bit Orwellian quick, didn't it?

Pete [Redacted]



^ ^ ^ ^ ^
This takes a little bit of time, but this is how its done.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
jumbit wrote:
petegs wrote:
jumbit wrote:
tumorous wrote:
jumbit wrote:
That's the thing: if we don't know what's being deleted, how will we ever know?

There's nothing that makes me (and most people) more curious than someone saying we can't look at something. It's human nature to want to know. What's being hidden? And why?

There are a lot of people that will slow down or stop to gawk at a car crash. And yet the authorities and emergency responders want them to move them along. Why?

Because it causes a traffic jam on the road. This is website; there is no traffic jam.

Other sites allow you to see what's been removed in a special area. I'd like to see that here, too. It's also like meta-moderation. It allows you to make sure the mods are doing a good job.


what do you think is being removed that shouldn't be?

We don't know and we can't know. That's the issue.
so you don't trust the mods? you don't trust that the mods are doing what is best for the site?
Oooh...that got a bit Orwellian quick, didn't it?

Pete (does trust the mods, but doesn't like that rhetoric)

I want the mods to develop a tool that just auto-deletes parenthetical signatures.

Grant (is joking)

(sort of)

(ok not really)

()
There would be some decent irony in that, since I started posting this way on a different site in protest to some long-forgotten moderator's obnoxious minimum characters per post count!

Pete (got that minimum lifted, but continued to post this way all over the interwebs)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
You seem to be unaware that all replies to deleted content are also deleted, as a matter of policy.


I am aware of these new actions, I didn't know it was policy as BGG hasn't changed the community rules or terms of service, nor put an official statement in the news area of such change in policy. It still looks like someone over-using their powers, degrading trust.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to assume that Octavian's "Powers" are the ability to wake up, walk around the city, and to watch reruns of Seinfeld. Those overused powers don't affect my life, so I'm good with that. When he starts annexing my properties in Greece, then I'll be concerned.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
I'm going to assume that Octavian's "Powers" are the ability to wake up, walk around the city, and to watch reruns of Seinfeld. Those overused powers don't affect my life, so I'm good with that. When he starts annexing my properties in Greece, then I'll be concerned.

Is this a joke, or do you actually have properties in Greece?

Pete (is suddenly interested)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
yaverot wrote:
fnord23 wrote:
You seem to be unaware that all replies to deleted content are also deleted, as a matter of policy.


I am aware of these new actions, I didn't know it was policy as BGG hasn't changed the community rules or terms of service, nor put an official statement in the news area of such change in policy. It still looks like someone over-using their powers, degrading trust.


Not sure when it changed, but it's there now:

The following are prohibited:
<snip>
Derailing
this includes complaining or otherwise commenting about site moderation in threads not about site moderation


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest issue is that I don't want BGG to have an over-arching, enforced political perspective. Especially if it is the same as mine. I don't like hanging out in an echo chamber. I like to hear opposing viewpoints, even if it makes me mad sometimes. It's why I often watch Fox and listen to right-wing radio in the car. Sometimes they even change my mind.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
My biggest issue is that I don't want BGG to have an over-arching, enforced political perspective. Especially if it is the same as mine. I don't like hanging out in an echo chamber. I like to hear opposing viewpoints, even if it makes me mad sometimes. It's why I often watch Fox and listen to right-wing radio in the car. Sometimes they even change my mind.


Oh, BGG is a political commentary site? Fuck... I thought it was about toys.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
My biggest issue is that I don't want BGG to have an over-arching, enforced political perspective. Especially if it is the same as mine. I don't like hanging out in an echo chamber. I like to hear opposing viewpoints, even if it makes me mad sometimes. It's why I often watch Fox and listen to right-wing radio in the car. Sometimes they even change my mind.

except BGG doesn't have an enforced political belief. What is being removed are the comments that prevent people from even discussing certain political beliefs.

"it's not a problem so don't talk about it" isn't a "political belief," it's a rejection of anyone else's political beliefs
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
I'm going to assume that Octavian's "Powers" are the ability to wake up, walk around the city, and to watch reruns of Seinfeld. Those overused powers don't affect my life, so I'm good with that. When he starts annexing my properties in Greece, then I'll be concerned.

Is this a joke, or do you actually have properties in Greece?

Pete (is suddenly interested)


Olives, sun, and sea.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
My biggest issue is that I don't want BGG to have an over-arching, enforced political perspective. Especially if it is the same as mine. I don't like hanging out in an echo chamber. I like to hear opposing viewpoints, even if it makes me mad sometimes. It's why I often watch Fox and listen to right-wing radio in the car. Sometimes they even change my mind.


Oh, BGG is a political commentary site? Fuck... I thought it was about toys.

Ye Gods, the last thing I want on my toy site is political commentary!

Pete (is begrudingly being forced to accepted)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.