Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
I'm going to assume that Octavian's "Powers" are the ability to wake up, walk around the city, and to watch reruns of Seinfeld. Those overused powers don't affect my life, so I'm good with that. When he starts annexing my properties in Greece, then I'll be concerned.

Is this a joke, or do you actually have properties in Greece?

Pete (is suddenly interested)

Olives, sun, and sea.

I (or more precisely my family) owns a lot of olive trees, but how'd you manage to procure the sun and the sea?

Pete (wants in)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
I'm going to assume that Octavian's "Powers" are the ability to wake up, walk around the city, and to watch reruns of Seinfeld. Those overused powers don't affect my life, so I'm good with that. When he starts annexing my properties in Greece, then I'll be concerned.

Olives, sun, and sea.

I (or more precisely my family) owns a lot of olive trees, but how'd you manage to procure the sun and the sea?

Pete (wants in)

Cash money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
My biggest issue is that I don't want BGG to have an over-arching, enforced political perspective. Especially if it is the same as mine. I don't like hanging out in an echo chamber. I like to hear opposing viewpoints, even if it makes me mad sometimes. It's why I often watch Fox and listen to right-wing radio in the car. Sometimes they even change my mind.

Yes, the days of imperial bulldozing a convo into acquiescence is long gone. Seems like the simple playbook has been burnt and the adherents are just going to be pushed aside by the sands of time.

Its OK, nobody will remember them.

And I understand the panic. No animal about to be derezzed in its cage goes without a good flailing... but in the end - DOA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Olives, sun, and sea.

Pete (wants in)

Olive trees in Cali? In Greece? In Spain? In another olive rich region?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Olives, sun, and sea.

Pete (wants in)

Olive trees in Cali? In Greece? In Spain? In another olive rich region?
On my mother's side, we were olive growers in Greece.

Pete (theoretically probably owned a share of that land by succession, but doesn't intend to claim it from his relatives)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
My biggest issue is that I don't want BGG to have an over-arching, enforced political perspective. Especially if it is the same as mine. I don't like hanging out in an echo chamber. I like to hear opposing viewpoints, even if it makes me mad sometimes. It's why I often watch Fox and listen to right-wing radio in the car. Sometimes they even change my mind.

Oh, BGG is a political commentary site? Fuck... I thought it was about toys.

Games. Not toys. Adults can play games without looking silly. Kind of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

If you're actually worried about looking silly, I strongly suggest a new hobby.

Pete (outgrew that concern)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
except BGG doesn't have an enforced political belief. What is being removed are the comments that prevent people from even discussing certain political beliefs.

"it's not a problem so don't talk about it" isn't a "political belief," it's a rejection of anyone else's political beliefs

In my opinion, not based on my four deleted comments. And not on some of the other ones I've seen. But I've pretty much given up the ghost. They will do what they want to do. And most of the moderation is fine. And I don't care as much as when I was surprised at getting moderated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

If you're actually worried about looking silly, I strongly suggest a new hobby.

Pete (outgrew that concern)

I don't actually care. Many of my colleagues think games are childish unless gambling is involved. I tell them I think it's the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to have a symbol for "this thread contains more than one moderated/deleted post". So, you know immediately that it is maybe not even worth looking at any more - due to all the holes in the conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horstderadler wrote:
I would love to have a symbol for "this thread contains more than one moderated/deleted post". So, you know immediately that it is maybe not even worth looking at any more - due to all the holes in the conversation.

If the mods were actually concerned with "disruption" and "antagonism", the more useful response would be deleting entire threads. But the fact that one side's arguments are deleted while the others are left standing lets you know what the real purpose of the new moderation is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
horstderadler wrote:

If the mods were actually concerned with "disruption" and "antagonism", the more useful response would be deleting entire threads. But the fact that one side's arguments are deleted while the others are left standing lets you know what the real purpose of the new moderation is.

It's interesting how certain topics attract dismissive and disruptive posts. Removing those posts allows the conversation to develop and grow. But this has been explained before, and it's easier to blame a conspiracy of the 'other side' than reflect and change behaviour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petegs wrote:
marcnelsonjr wrote:
horstderadler wrote:

Removing those posts allows the conversation to develop and grow.

If only one viewpoint can be expressed, that's not a conversation - it's an echo chamber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
petegs wrote:
marcnelsonjr wrote:
horstderadler wrote:

If only one viewpoint can be expressed, that's not a conversation - it's an echo chamber.

People seem to be expressing multiple viewpoints on this thread and many others with no problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
petegs wrote:
marcnelsonjr wrote:
horstderadler wrote:

the only "viewpoint" being removed is the one that says the topic doesn't need to be discussed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
marcnelsonjr wrote:
petegs wrote:
marcnelsonjr wrote:
horstderadler wrote:

the only "viewpoint" being removed is the one that says the topic doesn't need to be discussed.

Huh?

There WAS discussion going on. The mods scrubbed it. Just like there was a game, and now it won't exist because the censorship mob spooked the publisher.

The mask has slipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
marcnelsonjr wrote:
petegs wrote:
marcnelsonjr wrote:
horstderadler wrote:

Huh?

There WAS discussion going on. The mods scrubbed it. Just like there was a game, and now it won't exist because the censorship mob spooked the publisher.

The mask has slipped.

Narrative:

Reality:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
marcnelsonjr wrote:
petegs wrote:
marcnelsonjr wrote:
horstderadler wrote:

Huh?

The mask has slipped.

Funny how the discussion in the threads you mention have continued with people disagreeing and everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcnelsonjr wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
marcnelsonjr wrote:
petegs wrote:
marcnelsonjr wrote:
horstderadler wrote:

Huh?

There WAS discussion going on. The mods scrubbed it.

Huh?

There is STILL discussion going on. The mods scrubbed disruptive bullshit.

Quote:
Just like there was a game, and now it won't exist because the censorship mob spooked the publisher.
Right, oh, except that nothing has been censored. That’s not even remotely what censorship is. GMT made a business decision. If there’s an appetite in the market, someone will publish it. Funny how some people are such champions of capitalism up until the point that market forces swing something not in their favor. Then it’s cries of censorship.

Quote:
The mask has slipped.
Clever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Johnson
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, where did GMT suddenly come into this discussion? What game are we talking about here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tzer wrote:
Uh, where did GMT suddenly come into this discussion? What game are we talking about here?

Apparently we're not allowed to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Tzer wrote:

Scramble For Africa. GMT pulled their P500 after the game got some bad publicity. HarlemMimeSchool summarised the issue beautifully with one word: "jaunty".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
Here’s the main thread in question (although there are others):
[Scramble for Africa] I thought we were past this

Marc has been complaining about the game’s “censorship” across multiple threads, so I’m sure he didn’t even notice it hadn’t actually been mentioned here yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should have made it Scramble for Venus then you'd sell a bejillion copies!

Pete (would just avoid this whole damned planet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Should have made it Scramble for Venus then you'd sell a bejillion copies!

Pete (would just avoid this whole damned planet)
Time to link to Onward to Venus. Cf. The Scramble for Ganymede (a Space-Biff! review).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |