Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading the Final Version of the rulebook to try and understand how the game works. The only part that confused me was exactly how cards are drawn by the player.

Also, I watched the excellent solo video by One-Stop Co-op Shop (twice) in an attempt to see how this part of the rules work. Unfortunately, most of his actions involving drawing cards and (shuffling?) were done off camera.

It took me a while to understand that the Baitshop Deck is separate from the Player Deck. I believe this is correct. Otherwise, how would the deckbuilding aspect work? Originally, I thought that all cards for the Baitshop and for the player were drawn from the same deck --- because nowhere in the rules does it mention that there is more than one deck. Also, it doesn't talk about what happens to discards (except for the live bait bucket discards). Also, shuffling decks is not mentioned anywhere. The only time that discards are discussed in the rulebook is that you draw 6 of your 10 starting cards, and then discard the other 4. Exactly where these 4 cards go is not mentioned.

Assuming that my interpretation is correct so far, I get the impression that each time you discard cards that have been played or used to buy other cards, you must immediately re-shuffle your Player Deck. Am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll let Greg do the text explanation.

Here is a video of him on TTS in solo mode showing when he shuffles his discard deck when 6 cards are needed but not enough cards in the face down deck to do so. This video also shows how the expansion Tournament Fishing: The Deckbuilding Game – Rods and Boats is used.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ULA18KVYHc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
I've been reading the Final Version of the rulebook to try and understand how the game works. The only part that confused me was exactly how cards are drawn by the player.

Also, I watched the excellent solo video by One-Stop Co-op Shop (twice) in an attempt to see how this part of the rules work. Unfortunately, most of his actions involving drawing cards and (shuffling?) were done off camera.

It took me a while to understand that the Baitshop Deck is separate from the Player Deck. I believe this is correct. Otherwise, how would the deckbuilding aspect work? Originally, I thought that all cards for the Baitshop and for the player were drawn from the same deck --- because nowhere in the rules does it mention that there is more than one deck. Also, it doesn't talk about what happens to discards (except for the live bait bucket discards). Also, shuffling decks is not mentioned anywhere. The only time that discards are discussed in the rulebook is that you draw 6 of your 10 starting cards, and then discard the other 4. Exactly where these 4 cards go is not mentioned.

Assuming that my interpretation is correct so far, I get the impression that each time you discard cards that have been played or used to buy other cards, you must immediately re-shuffle your Player Deck. Am I right?

Hi there, thanks for the questions!

So there are 4 starting decks of 10 cards each. Each Angler has one of these to start.

The Baitshop deck is separately shuffled and the top 5 cards are turned over to form a buying row.

To begin, you shuffle your starting deck and then draw 6 cards. That leaves 4 cards left face-down in your deck. During the Cleanup Phase you draw back up to your hand-size of 6. If your deck runs out before you have 6, you shuffle the discard pile to form a new deck and then continue drawing until you have 6.

If you play cards during your turn that allow you to draw more cards and your deck is empty, do the same: shuffle the discard pile to form a new deck and then keep drawing.

Does that make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan1974 wrote:
I’ll let Greg do the text explanation.

Here is a video of him on TTS in solo mode showing when he shuffles his discard deck when 6 cards are needed but not enough cards in the face down deck to do so. This video also shows how the expansion Tournament Fishing: The Deckbuilding Game – Rods and Boats is used.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ULA18KVYHc

Thanks for posting this! This video should help a great deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:
Esto wrote:

So there are 4 starting decks of 10 cards each. Each Angler has one of these to start.

The Baitshop deck is separately shuffled and the top 5 cards are turned over to form a buying row.

To begin, you shuffle your starting deck and then draw 6 cards. That leaves 4 cards left face-down in your deck. During the Cleanup Phase you draw back up to your hand-size of 6. If your deck runs out before you have 6, you shuffle the discard pile to form a new deck and then continue drawing until you have 6.

If you play cards during your turn that allow you to draw more cards and your deck is empty, do the same: shuffle the discard pile to form a new deck and then keep drawing.

Does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense. I wish what you just wrote to me was included in the rulebook. Thanks for your explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
tyk567 wrote:
Esto wrote:

Does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense. I wish what you just wrote to me was included in the rulebook. Thanks for your explanation.

I think I probably subconsciously assumed that most people who end up buying the game would be used to the deckbuilding mechanic and so I highlighted how the game was different from the rest of the deckbuilders but (inadvertently) neglected the basics of it in the process. I will take this feedback into consideration and see if I can squeeze this info in somewhere in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.