Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this come up in our second game where a couple times battling players had tied values for their sail strength. So we ruled on the fly that a die roll would resolve initiative. Went back and re-read the rules afterward and don't see anywhere this is answered. It seems silly to reduce one's investment in initiative down to a die roll. So we wonder is it answered anywhere? If not, do you think it is better to then defer to whomever is the most powerful in one of the other areas like hull, cannon or crew? Or maybe give preference to whomever then has the strongest of their weakest area? Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
We always played that the person that had the highest crew won the tie. Thematically that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slobodon Ginfizz
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 6, Combat, Section 3, paragraph 3:

Throughout the Combat, Plunder and Upgrade phases, the
fastest ship on an island always acts first. If two or more
pirates have the same level of Sails, each rolls a die against the
other(s) to break the tie in favor of the highest number. All
other ties throughout the game are decided by using the same
dice roll mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, what Slobodon said. Ties are broken with a dice roll, if the dice roll is tied, rinse, lather and repeat - well OK, the lather bit is not in the rules, but the rest is meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slobodon Ginfizz wrote:

dice roll mechanism.

Thanks Slobodon. I can't believe I missed that. blush It probably sunk in subconsciously, which I why we were rolling dice to break the ties anyway. . .

Well, like several aspects about this game, time to come up with a house rule to fix it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quixotequest wrote:
Slobodon Ginfizz wrote:

dice roll mechanism.

Thanks Slobodon. I can't believe I missed that. blush It probably sunk in subconsciously, which I why we were rolling dice to break the ties anyway. . .

Well, like several aspects about this game, time to come up with a house rule to fix it.

"Knife fight to the death" is always a good tie-breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Robledo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Click my Extended Stats user Microbadge!
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with a variant house rule for this.

When two ships are fighting and sails are tied, we have both ships fire their volleys at the same time. We thought the dice rolling was kind of lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crobledo wrote:

When two ships are fighting and sails are tied, we have both ships fire their volleys at the same time. We thought the dice rolling was kind of lame.

I like this a lot. It's perfectly reasonable for 2 ships to fire volleys simultaneously, thematically speaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glauco Micsik Roberti
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
publisher
Berserkr Jogos
badge
Berserkr Jogos
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we did exactly the same... it saves a lot of useless dice rolling and provides the interesting (on other players' point of view) possible result of both players losing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crobledo wrote:

Now having played more, though, I have to ask: what if 3 ships are tied? who selects their target first?

I would say designate each player a number 1-6, and use the captain's wheels to do simultaneous selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

We also did this (not knowing others were doing so too).

If the sails represent speed and agility in getting into firing position, equal speed etc seemed to suggest concurrent firing and subsequent (concurrent) damage. Many other games (generally wargames) defer damage effects until after concurrent attacks, to better reflect real-life - which is not always turn-based.

We will probably continue to do it this way, as it works well.

[If 3 are equal, then you do need to have all 3 captains nominate their target secretly, to be revealed together - for the same basic reasons ...]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game we played we had ties blast each other at the same time! Which I like, personally - if you blow each other up, then NO ONE gets the treasure

But after we found the rule, we resorted to die rolling. Didn't matter to me though, I had the Parrot that added +20 to my sails and never lost her. YAR, matey!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithnewz wrote:
Quote:

We also did this (not knowing others were doing so too).

If the sails represent speed and agility in getting into firing position, equal speed etc seemed to suggest concurrent firing and subsequent (concurrent) damage. Many other games (generally wargames) defer damage effects until after concurrent attacks, to better reflect real-life - which is not always turn-based.

We will probably continue to do it this way, as it works well.

[If 3 are equal, then you do need to have all 3 captains nominate their target secretly, to be revealed together - for the same basic reasons ...]

A further suggestion for tiebreaking for initiative:

If sails are tied, check crew. Greater crew wins initiative. Between two identically rigged vessels, the one with more crew is usually faster.

If still tied, fire volleys simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds reasonable to me. Think we'll do that.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play
Sails first (Faster ships get into better shooting positions)
Crew second (A well crewed ship would function better)
Cannon third (More cannons you have the more chance getting a shot off)
Hull fourth (The more sea worthy a ship is the better it will sail)

Amos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.