Subject: after five games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bgreal
Hong Kong
TIN SHUI WAI
NT
flag msg tools
Since the game is too exciting and exciting, I also want to share my view on this game.

Compared with cthulhu war, the gods war is much more strategic, and luck is reduced. Geographically, the gods wars are significantly more strategic than cthulhu wars, and some areas have their own rules. We need to consider the current environment.How the buildings or units are built in an appropriate area, which is good for their own attack or defense, especially the movement on the rule changes, unlike the cthulhu wars in order to build a gate and then guard. Move Rule changes, an action pays 1power, choose an area to move your units to neighboring areas, this is a very important change, there are strategic considerations.

In the gods war, the cost of great god is half cost of the great old one of cthulhu wars. It won't lose a round because cost is low. Therefore, heroquest has a choice, instead of having a fixed route or time learning like cthulhu wars. Many Spell book abilities in Cthulhu wars revolve around great old one. The order and timing of learning the spell book are relatively fixed. In addition, the victory condition requires six books, so players need to be forced to learn the spell book and then choose or the strategy is limited. In the gods war, completing heroquest is not one of the conditions for victory. It is just that gift makes your empire more favorable, and they can give you scores and power. During the game, players can finally complete 6 heroquests spontaneously.

This game balance is very high, you can catch up from behind, even ahead of the opponent, because the game's income and scores are separated, Gather power in the game has been different cthulhu war. Each empire generally has three types of buildings. The power is calculated by type rather than quantity, and the quantity is a VP, 1 for each. This is a good setting. Everyone needs to understand that each empire is only 9 units, and the amount of buildings is 9. The bottom level building is often without defenses. We can cooperate with other players against leading or powerful player, replace or destroy their bottom-level building, which is more effective than the cthulhu wars to reduce the highest VP player's scoring every round, cooperation is more substantial than cthulhu wars, and this degree of luck is greatly reduced, you do not have to be afraid of contention Failure and blindly produce too many units to attack an area, and players who are attacked by many people may not lose the 3 types of building and power reduction or like cthulhu wars great old one is killed and the whole family becomes irreversible, you still have power Re-planning strategy, so the game scores are easy to get close, players can from falling behind to staying even or getting ahead, which is much better than cthulhu wars.

Rune like elder sign in cthulhu wars, but that is stable vp and give you ability that is very funny for the game.

Asymmetry is unexpectedly higher than CW, probably because of the theme and geography, making each empire more visible than cthulhu wars, plus each faction has weaknesses, so it is more specific.

After five games, the game was too crazy, too exciting, more euro/calculation and I wanted to play. It greatly exceeded the original expectations and surpassed Cthulhu Wars. The downside is that the game time is longer than Cthulhu wars, but the player interaction is high, there is substantial cooperation, the strategy is high, to grab the enemy building, the units calculation is more accurate to reduce luck, and losing Great gods is not too painful.After you understand the game when you know how to cooperate with other player to balance the situation, this game is very exciting.

This game still appear King make, but the game encourages alliance with the weak against the strong.When encountering the malicious king make in this type game,including this game is no way to solve, but we can use Great Compromise, push the highest VP player to finish the game, come new one game, this may end faster than cthulhu wars.

The above is my impression after 5 times, compared with cthulhu wars, the original cthulhu wars is my TOP 1, but now the gods war has become my TOP 1, if you like asymmetry game, this game must to try, if you are looking for the Asymmetrical area control game, this game must buy, the game allows you to use very different empire ability, you will feel their special presence. Finally, I think this game maybe the best Asymmetrical area control game in the world today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmb
I love your enthusiasm in this review, and I agree on most of your points (from memory, I only played prototypes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cyr
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate your views on the game, but I have to admit that it's of limited value to me, since I've never played Chthulu Wars, and you do a lot of comparing to that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know your game lengths in rounds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing the impressions.

As I like asymmetrical games and painting miniatures I went all in on Gods War, but the campaign and aftermath have been quite a rollercoaster ride:
At first curiosity about the campaign.
Then excitement as I decided to back it.
Then some worries, whether it's just a lengthier CW knock off cash grab.
Then indifference as the production dragged along.
Then more indifference with the years of delay (remember: the original delivery date was August 2017).
Then disappointment and anger as they completely changed the art of the game board to an entirely different style that looked nothing like the one in the campaign and in my opinion much much worse.
Then resignation because of more delays.
Now a slightly rising curiosity again because it might or might not show up in my hands soon.

It's good to read something positive for once regarding the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bgreal
Hong Kong
TIN SHUI WAI
NT
flag msg tools
6-7rounds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee, must be nice. . . Sadly the majority of us who paid hundreds of dollars are still getting the run around waiting... still.. years after funding...

Who knows one day they will either tell us what the heck is going on or maybe they will get enough backbone to start yelling at the shippers if that is STILL the problem.

/bitter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bgreal
Hong Kong
TIN SHUI WAI
NT
flag msg tools
mikecyr wrote:
I appreciate your views on the game, but I have to admit that it's of limited value to me, since I've never played Chthulu Wars, and you do a lot of comparing to that game.

I regret that my review can't help you, but I can say something other than compare Cthulhu wars. Please believe me, its concentration of asymmetry , I absolutely guarantee that it is high in all the same types of games today, even I think it is better than Roots. In roots each faction has their phase order, but when activate action played by cards, only make a pair symbols to moving, building, fighting or individual unique actions,uniqueness in the performance of each faction is slightly less than the gods War. The gods war, although all players follow the core rule, but the ability is very individual, you often need to use These capabilities to deal with the opponent, I think that every action in the game has its own taste of the faction, I like ability design from sandy, because he use the original information, and then through a metaphor, borrowing, and blending some idea to design the ability, this is Very excited thing.

I will add some more if you have not played cthulhu wars. This game is like action point game, each player takes turns to do an action, but different actions need to pay different costs. There are very few continuous actions in the game, so there is very little post-movement attack, so it's a bit like playing chess. All factions are started by building, and build an building in an area does not need to have your units, As long as the fee is paid and the area does not building, you can build the lowest level building. In the middle of the game, the war is Inevitably, everyone competes for each other to buildings in any area. Any type of building is worth only one point, so there is no reasonable increase in the score per round without fighting. Negotiating is needed. When the cooperation has a consensus the result is very effective compared to the same type of game. The game also has enough hidden information (including your subsequent actions that are difficult for the opponent to predict) as Negotiating chips. Although the game battle is roll dice, but most of the rest of the time you can plan, many ability to do not have to roll dice.

Although there are no high-level mechanism, and even some old mechanisms, but each faction absolute has creative or technical ability. And as I said above, " I think this game maybe the best of Asymmetrical area control game in the world today."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no. This can't be right. The Gods War is merely a re-skin of Cthulhu Wars, not different at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
No, no. This can't be right. The Gods War is merely a re-skin of Cthulhu Wars, not different at all.

Hmm I would argue It essentially is a re-skin Of cthulhu wars. But it's an improvement on the mechanics and gameplay and is the better game IMO. The runes shake things up which you don't get in CW and the added diplomacy makes for some awesome in game moments of treachery.
I played one game of Cthulhu wars and thought yeah I'd like to play that again.

I played one game of this and thought I NEED to play that again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi Eerio
Finland
flag msg tools
Mostly agree, but my one issue I have are the runes. They are *vastly* unequal. I was slapped in the face by drawing Luck rune as the *last* rune I could feasibly get that game - where Chaos (IIRC) rune would have won the game for me. In the same game our Sea player drew 3-4 runes that gave him Power. This combined with his book that removed 1 power from every other player when he hit 0 power was very salt-inducing, since he coukd hit some players with it twice per round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Lox
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree the Runes can be a bit random I like that the runes still count as 1/2 VP rounded up at the end of the game regardless of their original function and also that they can really change up strategic options depending on what you draw and when you draw it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.