GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,482 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Santiago» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Slick Session Report #4 - We Can Really Relate To This ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Living in Australia generally means you may well go short on water . We are now however living through what has been declared as 1 in 1000 year drought . With that as the pertinent backdrop we sat down to a 5 player game of Santiago .
It was only my third session so as "teacher" I am still a little "green" the 2 previous had been with 4 and 5 sitting in .
My wife Lynley and friends David , Ruth and Alison joined me - Ruth who is a reluctant gamer and Alison had not played before so there was some educating needed . The explanation took only 7 or 8 minutes and whilst Ruth's eyes exhibited a slight glazing over we began .
We placed the spring in one of the more central positions but the game developed along intriguing lines - by halfway through all but 2 of the planted crops were in the filled longitudinal half of the board .
This led to much conversation/advice/bribing to try to get water on the other half of the board as the game progressed . A large 9 tile connected section of bananas soon shrank to a game-defining lot of just 5 tiles as canals were placed elsewhere - in 2 cases in places which had little direct benefit to the canal overseer but which severely limited opponents with large numbers of cubes on those plantations .
The big winner was my wife who won primarily on the back of a red pepper crop with 8 tiles in common that she has a large presence in and because she was the last to use her extra canal in a spot which was also very advantageous .

Final scores : Lynley 60 - Ruth 51 - Alison 48 - Me 44 - David 38 .

Some closing and important observations :
How did Ruth do so well ? We gave her a lot of help as it was a "friendly" co-operative game with first timers aboard . Even still , the beauty of this game is that there is constant and ongoing negotiaton - if you enjoy the poker-hold-your-cards-tight-to-your-chest scenario then this isn't for you .
In that sense this is a strange beast - you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO collude , negotiate and converse with others as I feel winning is impossible without doing so . It does feel a little strange openly telling others where you want canals to go , why they should place that green bean with just the 1 cube there and indeed why YOU are going to place that green bean cube with just the 1 cube there !!...
For me though as far as almost constant interaction goes this is a real gem .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Aguila
Chile
Puerto Montt
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to know Ruth's and Allison's impressions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Alison really enjoyed it as she got a feel for it early and whilst she was unable to win began to appreciate what was needed to succeed at this game .
As for Ruth - well - she didn't so much enjoy it as endure it but she was being a good sport as she knows that her husband David (one of the other players in our game) really enjoys the verbal jousting which occurs in Santiago .
It is fun - but with a real competitive edge .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.