Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Click here for list of entries!

Winners announced here!

Greetings everyone!

It is my pleasure to announce the launch of the second Green Box of Games Design Contest. I am officially calling it:

Contest X - The Expansion Contest

While the base set of tiles, cards and cubes currently can support over 70 different games, adding a few extra bits or features can further increase the scope of game experiences to enjoy. Last year a small expansion was published in a limited quantity, the MMX, containing meeples, extra cubes and a bag. The MMX did not come with games that required these components, and a goal for the Contest X is to provide such games. However, I do not want ownership of an MMX to be a requirement for entering the contest, nor do I want to unnecessarily limit the creativity of the designers joining in, so the contest is also open for other types of expansions.

Expansions allowed
gooThe contents of the MMX: 7 meeples in different colours, 20 cubes in each of black and white, an opaque drawstring bag
gooany kind of generic components that a player can be expected to be able to gather by plundering their game library, or replace with household items.
gooprinted boards or tokens requiring no particular skill or more tools than a pair of scissors

Requirement: the contents of the expansion should fit within the box of the base set!

Contest Timeline:

Contest starts: March 18th
Registry deadline: April 1st
Rule completion deadline: April 22nd
Winners announced: May 6th

So this means you have two weeks from now to decide if you want to join the contest, and then three weeks to create.

Entry requirements

gooParticipants must register their entries no later than April 1st, by replying to this thread, geekmailing me, or emailing contact@greenboxofgames.com. A registered entry must only contain the name of the participant and the game, and optionally a short description of the idea.

gooA page for the game must be created on the Green Box Community Wiki as soon as possible after registry. I will help you do this if necessary.

gooThe game must not already be included in an official rulebook

gooBoth fully original games and adaptations of other games are eligible. When adapting other games, please respect copyright (so do not copy/paste text or images), and give credit to original creators.

gooYou can submit as many games as you want to, but one designer can only win in one category.

gooComplete rules must be made available on the wiki no later than April 22nd.

gooThe Green Box of Games and all related material is available under a Creative Commons SA-BY-NC license (Share freely with attribution for non-commercial purposes), and all games and material submitted during this contest must be available under the same license, attributed to the respective creator.

Categories
Main categories:

d10-1Best overall game
d10-2Best Meeple game (i.e. a game using the meeples from the MMX)

Secondary categories:
Depending on the number of entries, a winner will be chosen in each of the following categories if the category has more than three entries.
Player count:
Any one game can be submitted to one of these categories.
d10-3Best solitaire game
d10-4Best game for 2 players only
d10-5Best game for 3+ players

Game type:
Any one game can be submitted to one of these categories.
d10-6Best abstract/perfect information game
d10-7Best family game (requires a blend of luck and strategy, or mostly luck)
d10-8Best complex game
d10-9Best skill-based game (dexterity, memory etc)

Selecting winners
My wish is to recruit a small jury of dedicated Green Box players to select eh winners in each category. This will have to be people who are not planning to participate in the contest themselves, but are interested in devoting the time needed to evaluate all entries and playtest most. Let me know if you are interested in being part of the jury. If I am not successful in creating a jury, I will evaluate and test the games to select winners myself, based on the judgements of my family and gaming group. In either scenario, the important criteria for selecting a winner will be:
gooEnjoyability - Is it fun?
gooOriginality - Does it introduce something new to the Green Box game library?
gooCompatibility - How well does the game experience fit the components?
gooRules quality - Are they well written and understandable?
gooAccessibility of the expansion - How easy is it for the average Green Box gamer to get the expansion together?

Winners and prizes
One winner will be selected in each category, and the same game or designer can only win in one category.

All winners will receive one free physical copy of the Green Box of Games including the MMX expansion, delivered by mail anywhere in the world.

A rulebook will be created with all the games entered in the contest, and made available for download. All designers entering the contest will receive a physical printed copy of the rulebook.

Resources
If you do not currently own a Green Box of Games you can still participate! Print and play files, and other creative assets for making illustrations, are available here:
https://greenboxofgames.com/download-print-and-play/

More detailed descriptions of the components and their features can be found here:
https://greenboxofgames.com/about/

Existing rulebooks downloadable here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/206591/green-box-gam...

Lots of other games available on the wiki:
https://greenbox.wikia.com/wiki/

Have more fun together
Post a thread for your game here on the BGG forums to encourage feedback from the community, or join the Green Box Community Group on Facebook to meet and talk with other Green Box fans:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1301361446631696/
And please check out what other people are creating and give them feedback as well. We all have more fun that way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron I
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds fun! I hope my pre-ordered copy of GBoG arrives soon enough for me to be able to easily participate in the contest..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I need to make time to be in on this. Probably going to be solo and/or cooperative (easy testing) and non-abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
pvtparts wrote:
This sounds fun! I hope my pre-ordered copy of GBoG arrives soon enough for me to be able to easily participate in the contest..

Hope so too! There's always the print and play option, but it's more satisfying to play around with real components for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
PiHalbe wrote:
Yeah, I need to make time to be in on this. Probably going to be solo and/or cooperative (easy testing) and non-abstract.

Great to hear, I'd love to see your work in yet another contest :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
30 km from Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got something in my mind, but there are two fairs and a lot of work. Not sure if I can find the time. Terrible timing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Rukus wrote:
I've got something in my mind, but there are two fairs and a lot of work. Not sure if I can find the time. Terrible timing!

Life always makes things difficult ;-)

I hope you throw your hat in the ring anyway, and there is no harm in submitting a work in progress that you can come back to complete later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
As an inspiration to anyone thinking about entering the contest, here is a non-competing entry using meeples.

I present: Lords of the Green

https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/Lords_of_the_Green

Place your Knights and your Lord wisely to take control over the 16 areas of land.

While I will not be entering my own games to the contest, I will probably want to add this and maybe a few others to the rulebook.

6 Other available games using meeples can be found here:
https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Meeples
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is perfectly timed. I have a really fun game and I'm so happy to get to enter it this year...maybe even early.

It looks a bit more chaotic in this picture than it actually is. I was trying to illustrate some things that were going on in the game to give people a sense of the rules without having to read anything, but I went a bit overboard.

I may have a second entry as well, though.

I found some better photos representing the game and different configurations of the map.

A 2 Player Layout with the possibility of up to 6 players (though I'm not sure how well it will play at 6. It will definitely play 1-4 and I'm hoping 1-5.

Alternate map ideas are part of the player's experience. Making maps can be fun, and if you have a more experienced player you can box them in with a bunch of mountains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Wow, Gary! That sure looks impressive and intriguing, and a little bit complex Can't wait to hear more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try to follow up on my previous solo game with

Last Defense at Hudai Monastery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Dias
Portugal
flag msg tools
I will try to complete an idea revolving around bag building.
I have no name for it yet though, but if one is required: Bags.

Edit: Typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jennings
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be designing a 2-6 player racing game based off an old computer game called "Wacky Wheels". It will use the expansions components. More to come!

https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/Wacky_Wheels?venotify=creat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Allright, now we're moving! cool

Happy to see so many participants of earlier contests come back for more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
List of entries - FINAL

Yury Milovidov
Desert Dessert
https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/Desert_Dessert
Slush
https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/Slush

Achim Zien
Last Defence at Hudai Monastery
https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/Last_Defense_at_Hudai_Monas...

Stephen Jennings
Wacky Wheels
https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/Wacky_Wheels

Pedro Dias
My First Christmas Tree
https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/My_First_Christmas_Tree

Gary Boyd
Miners and Makers Settlement
https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/Miners_and_Makers_Survival

Jasper de Lange
Island
https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/Island

André Heines
The Golden Pyramid
https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/The_Golden_Pyramid

Vegard Farstad
Attack of the Moulds
https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/Attack_of_the_Moulds

Tech-tac-toe
https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/3-in-a-row_a-k.a._Tech-Tac-...

Discussion threads with feedback for several of the submitted games can be found in the Rules Forum: /forum/2014455/green-box-games/rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
30 km from Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've actually joined the contest with "The Pyramid" (working title) via e-mail. Not sure if I'm able to deliver in time, though.

To give a rough overview: It's a game about building a 3D pyramid using tiles and cubes. I'm still struggling with the mechanisms, but it will probably include a bag with cubes, cards and some kind of trading and/or resource management. And it'll also likely have meeples and VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Rukus wrote:
Well, I've actually joined the contest with "The Pyramid" (working title) via e-mail.

Sorry André, of course you have. I have too many channels to manage whistlemodest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Official title of my game will be: Miners and Makers Survival (M&Ms)

1-5 Playeres
20-75 Minutes (Depending on player experience and number of players)
Ages 13+

With few tools and resources, your new tribe must make the best of the surroundings. Through will and endurance, you must find new resources, create tools, advance technology, and form settlements. Be careful though, you may not be the only ones here.

Rules will be posted on the website within the next few days are now posted. 1,2, and 3 player playtesting has been a real joy. I'm concerned that the rules may occupy too much space in the booklet, so I will be working on editing them down. I think pictures will help, so I will try to utiize those assets as I go along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron I
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still crossing my fingers for my pre-order to arrive in April. Then at the very least I can participate as a judge even if I don't get the time for my own entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vegard Stornes Farstad
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first entry in the second contest
Gwarv wrote:

Vegard Farstad
No information so far :-)

Jørgen, I did write in the fb group that I'm focusing on abstracts, math and science as regards theme

Over the last couple of days I've been test-playing a simple abstract strategy concept that is similar to, but different from Virus Wars. In fact, I got the inspiration from a mobile app, and only went here now, afterwards, to search for similar games.

So, here goes with my first (and possibly only) entry in the contest:

Attack of the Moulds

devil In a corner of your fridge there is a hidden menace.
yuk Well, actually it's not hidden anymore.
gulp Small spots of mould have appeared, slowly growing and spreading across the sandwich you forgot in there a week ago.
sauron Which one of them will eventually win out, absorbing the others and cover most of the sandwich?

Setup

Set up the board as shown in the photos below.

• Use 36 tiles for the square board, or 34 tiles for the quasi-triangular board (*). Align the tiles correctly for the quasi-triangular board, it helps for seeing the hexagonal pattern.

• Each player uses 20 wooden cubes in their chosen colour. In some game variants a player might need more than 20 cubes, if so you'll figure out something

Square board - 2/4 players

Play with 2 or 4 players on the orthogonal square-shaped grid (using 6x6 tiles).
• With 4 players, place one cube in each corner, as shown in the photo above.
• With 2 players, place 2 cubes of each colour on the board, in opposite corners.

Fig. 1: Square board, 4-player setup

Quasi-Triangular board - 2/3 players

Play with 2 or 3 players on the hexagonal triangle-ish-shaped grid (using 34 tiles).

• Place 3 cubes of each player colour on the board; 1 in the corner and 2 on the recessed tiles in the middle of the opposing side.
• With 2 players just remove one of the colours.

Fig. 2: Quasi-Triangular board, 3-player setup

Fig. 3: Quasi-Triangular board, 2-player setup

Rules

1 There can be only One (cube on each tile, that is).

2 Players take turns. (insert mandatory thematical rule for choosing first player here:) The last person to find mouldy food in their fridge may begin. (**)

3 On your turn, either A) Grow and place a new piece next to one of your existing ones, or B) Spread by moving one of your existing pieces to a new position that is 2 steps away instead of next to your old position.

4 Replace all opponent pieces next to the piece you just placed/moved with your own. In other words, you Absorb them into your own mouldy growth. And that completes your turn.

Example: I can add step-by-step photos from one of the test games (Square board with 4 players), and I could also add photos illustrating the moves, if necessary. Let me know!

Game End and Winning

A You can play until the board is full, and count the number of cubes. This might be more suitable for 2-player games or if you prefer to play "to the bitter end" in case of 3 or 4 players.

Fig. 4: End of 4-player game on square board

Fig. 5: End of 3-player game on quasi-triangular board

B You can play until one of the players have placed all 20 of their cubes, and they instantly win.

Fig. 6: Insta-win end of 2-player game on quasi-triangular board

Alternative geometries

As seen above, I've tested this with both an orthogonal board (as in Virus Wars and the mobile app) and a hexagonal board (because I wanted to create a 3-player variant - it is cool that the Green Box tiles allow this - and also since it sets this game more apart from the others).

On a hexagonal board, you will have 6 directions in which to grow (1 step) or spread (2 steps), and on a square board you'll have either 4 or 8 directions. I didn't play with only 4 directions, but I can imagine that it could either be too restrictive or that it would end up being a poor version of Go.

There's no reason not to try out other board geometries like a perfect triangle, a giant plus sign etc, but just like real mould, the more crooks and crannies your board has, the more places you'll end up with pieces that cannot be moved, and this will limit the strategic options.

I actually did set up the perfectly triangular board, but it seemed that players would quickly get entrenched, so I didn't actually play this variant, and instead modified the board to the Quasi-Triangular shape.

Fig. 7: Triangular board (with one cube in each corner as starting setup), 3-player game after 5 moves each

Adding 2 cubes in the middle of the side opposing each corner, like in the Quasi-Triangular setup, might reduce these issues somewhat. Or perhaps even better, start with only those 2 cubes in the middle of each side, and have no cubes in the corners to start with. It needs to be tested.

Alternative movement rules

There are two possible movement rules when Spreading:

A You can only spread/move 2 steps in a direct line (like a Queen in chess). This also disallows you from moving around corners like those on the triangular board.

B You can spread/move to a position in the "row" with is 2 steps away, but it doesn't have to be in a straight line (like a Queen OR a Knight in chess).

Option B allows you to reach all positions that far away, and there's "nowhere to hide" when approaching an opponent.

Play more!

I think more playtesting is needed to figure out which board is better, or if both are equally good (i.e. that they don't restrict the choice of strategy). So please try it out and post your feedback here

Footnotes

(*) I started with a regular triangle with sides of 7, and then added 2 tiles along the middle of each side. What I got then is actually a 6-armed star of David with 3 truncated corners - I realized afterwards that with 37 tiles total it would be possible to make a complete star of David)

(**) I was considering the possibility of a mechanism for variable player order, i.e. a different first player in each turn. However, this might over-complicate the game and also having two moves in a row would probably be too powerful. There might be a reason why I haven't seen any zero luck abstract strategy games with (non-random) variable player order? Or does this combination exist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Right, so I have created wiki entries for all the games that at least have names. They can all be found here:
https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Contest_X_2019

Pedro, you're such an experienced wiki user that I expect you can create your own when you're ready

But, there's another important issue:
Who wants to be on the jury??

In keeping with the quick poll I ran earlier, here and on Facebook, winners will be selected by me and a jury of players not participating in the Contest. Already on board is Elliot Anderson (creator of Kings Ransom and Business Casual from previous contests) and Udo Woitek, long time dedicated Green Box fan.

There's definitely room for a few more!
This contest is not terribly serious business, so jury duty does not have to be either. I would expect jury members to evaluate all games and playtest most of them, but you do not have to dedicate a full two weeks of your life to it

Send me a message or respond here if you are interested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Dias
Portugal
flag msg tools
Sadly I wasn't able to work in my game So I will withdraw 'Bags' from contention.

@Jørgen Can I submit the game I designed around Christmas? My First Christmas Tree (https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/My_First_Christmas_Tree)

Main Category: Best overall game
Sub-Category 1: Best game for 2 players only
Sub-Category 2: Best complex game (?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
pedias wrote:
Sadly I wasn't able to work in my game So I will withdraw 'Bags' from contention.

@Jørgen Can I submit the game I designed around Christmas? My First Christmas Tree (https://greenbox.fandom.com/wiki/My_First_Christmas_Tree)

Category: Best game for 2 players only
Sub-Category: Best complex game (?)

You certainly can! Doesn't have meeples, though, but that's all right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Dias
Portugal
flag msg tools
Gwarv wrote:

You certainly can! Doesn't have meeples, though, but that's all right

Yeah, it predatee the arrival of the expansion.
I am a bit sad I didn't get to proceed with 'Bags' but next time I plan on either pursuing that or a different one taking advantage of the expansion content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry it took so long. I've been a bit under the weather. I've got tenative rules posted. There may be a few updates, but the rules are fairly well set.

If someone would like to add a game, would you consider accepting submisions of final game rules until the 22nd, or are new entries locked at this point?

Cheers,
Gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |