United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Crowd Sale is winding down to the 48 hour mark, I have one final gift.

But...you have to go fishing for it!

Hint#1:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I am in one of Greg's older posts.

Hint#2:
I could be played right now.

If you think you know the answer, or have caught it, feel free to post it here but try to use the spoiler function ("SP" button near "Insert Geek Link" above) to hide it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
msg tools
mb
Dice variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 Guess ---- clutch cards

#2 Guess ---- specific locations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Cullum
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Josh has it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clarke
msg tools
Grasshopper walks into a bar. Bartender says "hey, you know we have a drink named after you?"
badge
Grasshopper looks surprised and says "You have a drink named Stan?"
mb
I think Weather I could find a Location to Print these, will determine if I can Play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
livevyne wrote:
I think Weather I could find a Location to Print these, will determine if I can Play it.

You landed that one! Nice job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go ahead and spill the beans now!

Tournament Fishing: Weather (WIP)

I've made this expansion available for PnP before it goes into release on TGC later this year. It's still a work in progress and so if you do use it, know that some things may change. Also feel free to let me know what you thought/think as your input could influence the final design!

Not only will you get effects from the Clock each round, but now the Weather will also influence your fishing! On the backside of the cards is an new "AI Angler 2" that adds a new take on the Solo-Coop modes. It still catches fish and removes cards in the Baitshop as normal. But instead of removing cards from the Lake with the "X"'s, it will now flip over Lake cards face-up. If it does an Event card like this, it just gets removed from the Tournament. However, if it is a Fish, it stays there and requires 2 extra Angler Power to attract.

Additionally, you may now play against both AI's at once!!! Or you may choose 1 of them to face. In this case, you will ignore the backside of the cards on whichever one you don't choose. But if you do decide to play against both AI's (and why not??), choose which one to perform the Baitshop removal for the entire Tournament and ignore the other one's Baitshop portion. Also always perform the Clock's AI first, and then the Weather. Lastly, each AI has a separate score and so in a solo game, there will now be 3 places. In a coop game, instead of doubling the AI's total weigh-in, you will combine both AI's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:

I've made this expansion available for PnP before it goes into release on TGC later this year. It's still a work in progress and so if you do use it, know that some things may change. Also feel free to let me know what you thought/think as your input could influence the final design!

Not only will you get effects from the Clock each round, but now the Weather will also influence your fishing! On the backside of the cards is an new "AI Angler 2" that adds a new take on the Solo-Coop modes. It still catches fish and removes cards in the Baitshop as normal. But instead of removing cards from the Lake with the "X"'s, it will now flip over Lake cards face-up. If it does an Event card like this, it just gets removed from the Tournament. However, if it is a Fish, it stays there and requires 2 extra Angler Power to attract.

Additionally, you may now play against both AI's at once!!! Or you may choose 1 of them to face. In this case, you will ignore the backside of the cards on whichever one you don't choose. But if you do decide to play against both AI's (and why not??), choose which one to perform the Baitshop removal for the entire Tournament and ignore the other one's Baitshop portion. Also always perform the Clock's AI first, and then the Weather. Lastly, each AI has a separate score and so in a solo game, there will now be 3 places. In a coop game, instead of doubling the AI's total weigh-in, you will combine both AI's.

If playing with both AI for a 3 place winner, same rules as clock AI? First round goes to AI and both the clock and weather card AI for the 1st round is lost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan1974 wrote:
tyk567 wrote:

If playing with both AI for a 3 place winner, same rules as clock AI? First round goes to AI and both the clock and weather card AI for the 1st round are lost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan1974 wrote:

If playing with both AI for a 3 place winner, same rules as clock AI? First round goes to AI and both the clock and weather card AI for the 1st round are lost?

My answer:

Mostly the same. See if these rules cards help:

If understand your question, the final round of the Solo Tournament will not have a clock or weather effect when playing against both AI's.

If you just play against 1, whichever deck you are not using will still provide an effect on the final round. What's cool about this is that, if you use the weather deck for the AI, you can then use the Clock deck in order from 6AM-5PM as in the multiplayer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Greg, so much for this pleasant surprise. I think it will be wonderful to play solo against 2 AI anglers. It gives me many creative ideas of how I can conduct a fishing tournament for maximum enjoyment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably worded the first question wrong. First round only, 1st AI does the top clock card, and that card gets removed from the tournament. 2nd player AI resolves its weather card. That card is removed from the tournament. Human player starts and normal card flipping after this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan1974 wrote:
I probably worded the first question wrong. First round only, 1st AI does the top clock card, and that card gets removed from the tournament. 2nd player AI resolves its weather card. That card is removed from the tournament. Human player starts and normal card flipping after this.

Spot on correct. Which means on the final round, there is no clock or weather effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
Thank you, Greg, so much for this pleasant surprise. I think it will be wonderful to play solo against 2 AI anglers. It gives me many creative ideas of how I can conduct a fishing tournament for maximum enjoyment.

You are welcome! I am happy to have all of you and want to provide the best experience possible! I am really excited about this dual AI as well because it makes the game even more unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How's about the location expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
How's about the location expansion?

It’s in the PnP folder too

It’s also a WIP and subject to change, but works very well as is. I’m still considering the boat/WP idea but I may forgo that one in favor of the original idea.

But with the weather deck, clock deck, and the locations, that’s a lot of variables to consider! Of course they are all modular so you don’t have to play with it all at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I got spanked:

AI Angler - 42
AI Angler 2 - 35
Designer - 24

I caught two 10 point fish but lost a 9 and a 5 due to pops or else I might have won!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play against both AI, am I correct in thinking that it would be possible for the AI to completely remove all the Baitshop cards for a round (assuming the correct combination of "X's" are drawn)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
When you play against both AI, am I correct in thinking that it would be possible for the AI to completely remove all the Baitshop cards for a round (assuming the correct combination of "X's" are drawn)?

In the rules card (Side B) I account for that by adding a rule to only perform one of the Baitshop portions on either the Clock or the Weather card, remaining consistent for the tournament with which one you do. The other is not used.

Great Question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.