United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb
As some of you figured out, I am working on a Weather expansion that is really neat. It adds the ability to play against 2 AI's (the new one is slightly different mechanically too) at once and adds a layer to the already rich theme.

So where I need your input is on 4 other cards that can come in this expansion.

The Weather cards only number 13 with 1 rules card, and there can be 18 total for the same production cost.

So, what 4 cards would you like to see added along with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:
As some of you figured out, I am working on a Weather expansion that is really neat. It adds the ability to play against 2 AI's (the new one is slightly different mechanically too) at once and adds a layer to the already rich theme.

The Weather cards only number 13 with 1 rules card, and there can be 18 total for the same production cost.

Is there somewhere that outlines the existing 9 and how they impact gameplay? Would help to assess what the other 4 could be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
tyk567 wrote:

Is there somewhere that outlines the existing 9 and how they impact gameplay? Would help to assess what the other 4 could be.

Existing 9?

Here is a link that shows the existing 13 weather cards +1 rules card.

Tournament Fishing: Weather (WIP)

With the other 4 card slots, they could be more lake cards. More Baitshop cards. Or something new like 4 Tournament lake set-ups with unique conditions. Perhaps only a Bass Tournament so no other type of fish score points. Things like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 different end of game bonus cards for each player

Sunfish/trout card
Bass card
Catfish card
Pike/Gar card

Each player is dealt one face down and is hidden from the other players until end game. One bonus point for each fish that matches his/her bonus card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoever gets the sunfish and trout card might be at disadvantage because they are low point fish. Maybe 1 point bonus for 3 or more species that matches the bonus card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Cullum
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternative AI cards for solo variety.

Otherwise, more of something else that you can add variety to to increase replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan1974 wrote:
4 different end of game bonus cards for each player

Panfish/trout card
Bass card
Catfish card
Pike/Gar card

Each player is dealt one face down and is hidden from the other players until end game. One bonus point for each fish that matches his/hers bonus card.

I like it! Here is the current distribution of species with the core game and Fish and Tackle expansion:

16 - Bass
8 - Catfish
7 - Pike
5 - Trout
2 - Sunfish
2 - Gar
1 - Turtle

This would need to be accounted for as well so that the bonuses are even.

Could be something like:

+1 per Bass
+1 per Catfish/Pike
+2 per Trout/Sunfish/Gar
+1 per different species in Livewell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had another idea.

What if, like in Catan (longest road/etc), there could be 4 (8 if front and back) common goals that each Angler is trying to get first, which provide bonus points at the end.

For example:

-have a hand of 8 cards at any point
-catch 5 fish
-catch 3 different types of fish
-catch 3 different colors of fish
-buy 3 cards during any buy phase from the baitshop (not bait bucket)
-catch a 10 point fish
-counter a Pop fight card
-catch a fish and buy a card in the same round

These bonus cards would be shuffled and randomly placed out, providing 4 potential bonus point opportunities for the tournament, given in recognition of great fishing skills displayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:
I just had another idea.

What if, like in Catan (longest road/etc), there could be 4 (8 if front and back) common goals that each Angler is trying to get first, which provide bonus points at the end.

For example:

-have a hand of 8 cards at any point
-catch 5 fish
-catch 3 different types of fish
-catch 3 different colors of fish
-buy 3 cards during any buy phase from the baitshop (not bait bucket)
-catch a 10 point fish
-counter a Pop fight card
-catch a fish and buy a card in the same round

These bonus cards would be shuffled and randomly placed out, providing 4 potential bonus point opportunities for the tournament, given in recognition of great fishing skills displayed.

This sounds like a winner to me. Will definitely amp up the excitement even more with no detriment to gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
Just thinking out loud here, but-

How about: each player has tokens that they can place on the Goal cards at the start of the game. If they achieve that Goal, they get double the bonus. If not, the points are subtracted from the total. In terms of theme, this represents the anglers boasting about how well they're going to do in the tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:
skyzero wrote:
tyk567 wrote:

Existing 9?

Here is a link that shows the existing 13 weather cards +1 rules card.

Tournament Fishing: Weather (WIP)

With the other 4 card slots, they could be more lake cards. More Baitshop cards. Or something new like 4 Tournament lake set-ups with unique conditions. Perhaps only a Bass Tournament so no other type of fish score points. Things like that.

I read your bit about “Weather cards only number 13” and interpreted it as literally 13 cards. You asked for input on 4 cards so I assumed 9 were created already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digital Blaine
msg tools
mbmb
I like the fishing counting as points aspect of the game and not trying to remember to collect some goal that isn’t related to me catching that fish. I would add like 2 new bait shop cards (2 each). Or new lake cards like an old boot or tree branch.

P.S. Great job with this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clarke
msg tools
Grasshopper walks into a bar. Bartender says "hey, you know we have a drink named after you?"
badge
Grasshopper looks surprised and says "You have a drink named Stan?"
mb
After reading the cards, I would think that it could be beneficial if the other 4 cards were additional weather cards, and then you would shuffle and draw the number you need for your game, providing a variable setup.

The only other card I can think of at the moment would be a weather report card, where you could look at the upcoming weather cards. Since the weather report is seldom right, you would have to shuffle them before putting them back. it would be less helpful at the beginning of the game (when there is a larger number of cards), but more helpful to play it towards the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
livevyne wrote:
After reading the cards, I would think that it could be beneficial if the other 4 cards were additional weather cards, and then you would shuffle and draw the number you need for your game, providing a variable setup.

The only other card I can think of at the moment would be a weather report card, where you could look at the upcoming weather cards. Since the weather report is seldom right, you would have to shuffle them before putting them back. it would be less helpful at the beginning of the game (when there is a larger number of cards), but more helpful to play it towards the end.

The difficulty with adding more weather cards is that they have the AI Angler on the backside which is designed in very balanced and consistent manner. So if you add or take out random stuff and are playing Solo/Co-op, it could significantly alter the AI's score.

I do think that having some cards to counter the weather is a good option. There is one Boat card in Rods and Boats that counters the Clock deck effect. However, what I essentially try to do with the weather is build in ways to counter it with cards already in the game. For example, with the WINDY and having to play a Cast card to prevent the negative.

Good ideas though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
digitalblaine wrote:
I like the fishing counting as points aspect of the game and not trying to remember to collect some goal that isn’t related to me catching that fish. I would add like 2 new bait shop cards (2 each). Or new lake cards like an old boot or tree branch.

P.S. Great job with this game!

Yeah, these 4 cards would definitely be optional/modular and not necessary. However they could give you other things to shoot for when you just aren't having much luck finding fish that you can attract. Against, the AI, this will help too because it is very difficult to beat. In the rules, I will make it to where the AI cannot gain these bonuses, only the players. So it's a way to add a few more points here and there that could bring you out on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laissez K wrote:
Just thinking out loud here, but-

How about: each player has tokens that they can place on the Goal cards at the start of the game. If they achieve that Goal, they get double the bonus. If not, the points are subtracted from the total. In terms of theme, this represents the anglers boasting about how well they're going to do in the tournament.

Tokens add more expense to the expansion and I'd like to keep them @$4.99 if possible. However, one variant could be to deal these cards out to each player, letting them choose which side to use at the beginning, giving them a separate goal that everyone else can't get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple other options that I came up with.

I could add 2 copies of these cards for the Baitshop Deck instead:

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a definite "yes" to both cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What’s your thoughts on an official or home variant that during lightning with one or both AIs, they must skip their bottom portion AI card? I think that’s how I going to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan1974 wrote:
What’s your thoughts on an official or home variant that during lightning with one or both AIs, they must skip their bottom portion AI card? I think that’s how I going to play it.

Sounds good to me; I like this idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.