Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress» Forums » Variants

Subject: Need help making custom characters from scratch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So I've invested in this game, been getting models painted, and acquiring the 3D-printed tiles to replace the cardboard ones. I finally got a group that's committing to playing through, and that's good...

...except the only problem is, the group doesn't really like any of the characters. They thought it would be similar to Silver Tower, where you had the option to use several other 40k models.

The idea of just using a similar-ish model in place of the original model was kicked around- like a Commissar in place of Draik, Astartes in Terminator armor in place of UR-025, etc... well, that wasn't easy to find something that 'matches up' with what the players want.

So... I need some help creating custom stat cards- roughly, what is the scale? Like, 'weak' vs. 'powerful'? I'm still learning the mechanics of this game, and time's closing in- but I would like a push in the right direction, so it doesn't take weeks for me to figure out how to build characters from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
Haha. You have finicky friends!

I'd just find out what they want to play, find a suitable pic online, scan the character in the game "most like" the dude they want to play, and just edit that photo into the already complete character sheet, and give them a new name.

Voila, they get to play with a cool mini, and you get to use the stats from an existing character (so you can assume it's vaguely game-ready...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's the thing... we've got a rather... unique array.

A death cult assassin
A guardsman sergeant with a shotgun
And hell, I don't want to be the odd man out... so I might use a Van Saar ganger.
And the only one that we could reasonably 'swap' was an inquisitor for Draik.

Either way, it's not as simple as plugging and playing with the stats from something we've already got. Establishing some kind of 'metric' or getting an understanding of how things scale would be great. I can pretty much estimate 'range' and get an idea for special abilities and what makes someone inspired... but having this sort of idea as to how to scale it could make the game a lot easier to 'customize' in the future, considering a group wants to run as a trio of Deathwatch Marines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam west
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
i asked something similar on other post. Idea for a space marine. interested in other peoples take on different character stats. I would say d6 is = to 5+, d8 = to 4+, d12 = to 3+. with that in mind use 40k stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
See, that system right there nails it. Pretty much what I wanted. I'll let you know if it gets crazy and how to adjust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls