Popular Tags: [View All]
Meeple Mentor
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gathered everyone's questions and answers from the rulebook and the designer into this thread. I will also post a Word doc version of it in the Files section. As more questions/clarifications come out, I will edit this post. Thanks!
Updated 5/2/19

FAQ

Alternate Adventure
Q: Which tokens are for the Alternate Adventure? What counts as Relics?
A: ALL the circular tiles with light and dark faces are considered RELICS. It doesn't matter if they are light or dark, or if they are blank or have a symbol - they are ALL Relics. All the LIGHT face ones are Shells, and all the DARK face ones are Totems. It doesn't matter if they are blank or if they have a symbol.

Q: What about Totems and Shells?
A: Totems are placed on beaches. Shells are placed in the water. ALL totems are worth 2 pts. ALL shells are worth 1pt (regardless of symbols). THEN, if those same totems and shells ALSO have a symbol and are part of a set, they grant those extra points accordingly.

Q: Improved Actions: Some action cards show an improved action (like +1 damage, +1 pillage token etc) with a Crew Symbol. Does this mean the player gets one Crew member back when executing this action?
A: Yes, however these are the green cards which should only be in the deck if playing the Alternate Island Adventure. The rule is given page 13 : "1. Add the four action cards with the green top to the main draw deck (they are not captain cards). Note that these cards contain a Hunt action that grants a free crew

Boarding
Q: When you are boarded and you have a protection orb- do you give it to the player for them to use later, or is it removed from the game?
A: You give it to the boarder, and they may use it if boarded in the future.

Q: When you board, the action you can take is based on the symbol on the used action card?
A: Correct. You do the action indicated on the card.

Q: Can you still board an enemy ship if you have new crew members?
A: Yes you may. You still have a “skeleton crew” to handle the basics.

Q: If a player plays a “board” action to steal someone’s jewel, should they be randomized? OR- can they choose whichever jewel they want, as they are face-up?
A: They are intended to be face-up after they are drawn. If you have the deluxe ed. with 3D jewels, you couldn’t keep them hidden if you wanted to.

Q: The rules say you can only board ships that are damaged. If the target ship has 10 hull, they can’t be boarded?
A: So long as the ship has taken a hit (and is below the max 10 hull), it’s considered “damaged.” Once it’s been repaired back to 10 hull, it can no longer be boarded as it’s not “damaged”.

Buried Treasure and Exploit
Q: How do you know when the treasure is “dug up” so you use the exploit action?
A: Once a captain meeple has reached the “X” spot on the mountain of the island board, Treasure will be dug up as part of phase 4 of the round. Since all captains have to return to their players placemats, the only “Hunt” action possible is “Exploit.”

Q: When do you draw the jewels?
A: At the end of the round, NOT immediately when a captain reaches the top of the mountain. It’s part of phase 4 to check this.

Q: Do you draw a landmark tile when a captain advances to the “X” spot on the mountain?
A: No. However, on the Alternate board side, you do.

Q: Can a captain on the “X” buried treasure space do an Advance or Exploit action with “Hunt”?
A: It would be a wasted action. Nothing would happen.

Q: How do you handle the order of drawing jewels? What about multiple captains on the “X” mountain space?
A: Jewels are drawn first for the players closest to the top of the mountain (3 each), then to players 1 space away (2 each), and finally 2 spaces away (1 each). Player order and initiative break ties for multiple captains on the same level.

Q: If I have 2 black jewels, do I roll for each of them every time I move?
A: Yes. Two separate rolls, and resolve each individually.

Captains

Q: For advancing the Captain Meeple for triggering end game, does it advance when a captain card is played or when a captain card is activated?
A: Anytime you RESOLVE a captain card, you advance your meeple.

Q1: If I play a captain card, but DONT activate it, and instead swap it for a basic card, do I advance my captain meeple for playing it, or not, since I didn't activate it?
A2: No, you don’t advance, since you didn’t resolve the captain card.
Q2: For the player I gave my captain card to, would they advance their captain meeple when they activate the captain card? Or if they already finished their turn, would they advance their meeple just by having the card in front of them now?
A2: The player you gave your captain card would advance their meeple if they end up resolving the card during their turn. If they don't, then they don't advance their meeple.

Q: If I take a captain card with a compass, does that captain card count towards me advancing my meeple towards end game, or only for the player who played the card (and activated it)?
A: Yes, it counts for your captain meeple advancing.

Doubloons
Q: At the beginning of the round, if there are already doubloons on the island leftover from the previous round, do you still add more?
A: Yes, even if there are doubloons on the island, you add them each turn.

Q: If there are more doubloons on the island than pillage tokens taken that round, do you keep pillaging in order of most to least pillage tokens until there are no more doubloons? OR- do you only pillage the island once per player, and the excess remains until the next round?
A: Each player can pillage once. If there are doubloons left over, they remain for the next round.

Q: If there is only one player who acquired doubloons that round, they should take double the amount... Do they only take them from what’s available on the beach, or take more from the supply?
A: Only take what’s available on the beach.

Q: When are doubloons returned to the island, vs. to the general stash?
A: The ONLY time doubloons are taken from the general stash is when adding them to the island in between each round. For all other game purposes, when a rule or effect says to gain or discard doubloons, that is ALWAYS in reference to doubloons being taken from or placed on the island.

Q: Is there a difference between when the rules say "center of the island" vs. "on the beach" (in reference to doubloons)?
A: No. We will clean up this language in a subsequent printing. There is only one pile of doubloons on the island, whether you place it on the beach or somewhere else in the middle of the island.

Ghost Ships
Q: Do the effects of Landmark tiles, both when a ghost ship captain on shore reaches one AND when another players plays one on a ghost ship as part of an "Exploit" action, affect the ghost ship? Even the red tiles which can kill crew and inflict ship damage?
A: Yes - all effects would still happen normally, except Damage and Repair effects. Those never do anything to a ghost, but all the other effects still apply.

Q: Is the only kind of action doable to a Ghost Ship a boarding action?
A: Yes

Q: Can ghost ships board other ships?
A: Yes.

Q: Ghost Ship can attack with frontal or side cannons like the other ships making the normal 1 or 2 damages? The (+1) damage indicated on the player board is an additional damage that you can make if you roll a voodoo symbol on the die when attacking? Or is an additional damage that adds over the 1 or 2 dmg from normal attacks and the +1 dmg for being a ghost ship?
A: First statement is correct. The (+1) damage indicated on the player board is additional damage that you can make if you roll. Ghost ships will make front and broadside attacks as others.

Q: Do you automatically lose all crew members when you become a ghost ship?
A: No, you do NOT lose crew when you become a ghost ship.

Q: Is ghost ship redemption mandatory if you have the 5 doubloons?
A: It is mandatory if possible to do.

Q: During Ghost Ship Redemption, do the 5 doubloons that go to the “center” of the island also count as being on the “beach” for collecting?
A: Yes. They are available for pillaging next round. The next round would start with whatever excess doubloons were on the beach + doubloons from redemption(s) + new doubloons added at the start of the round.

Q: Can you be the target of a voodoo effect when you are a ghost ship?
A: Yes

Q: Do you duel as a captain when you are a ghost ship?
A: Yes.

Map Fragments
Q: Are you allowed to collect more than 2, or are you forced to Advance your captain once you have 2?
A: You may choose to acquire more than 2 map fragments. However, its best to start advancing towards the buried treasure.

Ships
Q: During setup, how do you place ships? Can multiple ships occupy the same water region?
A: The rulebook says "Starting with the player with the initiative
token, proceeding clockwise, each player chooses a captain as follows:
[...]
8.3 Take the captain’s 2 pirate ships. Place the normal pirate ship in
any of the four water regions (except any regions with group ‘S’
water tiles), facing either direction"
You can have multiple ships on the same area at the beginning of the game.

Q: If you play an action card with ship movement arrows that have dotted lines and decide to move, do you also have to do the turn around movement if both are dotted? OR- can you decide to do just one?
A: You can decide to do none, one, or both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dungeon Drop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sent you a nice tip

Thanks for doing this! I had been meaning to myself, but haven't had a chance yet. I will look it over and verify everything soon. I will also let you know any other FAQ I've been tracking that may be missing here, so we can have one place to go.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonmiceli wrote:
Sent you a nice tip

Thanks for doing this! I had been meaning to myself, but haven't had a chance yet. I will look it over and verify everything soon. I will also let you know any other FAQ I've been tracking that may be missing here, so we can have one place to go.

Cheers!

Same here. Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dungeon Drop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm the accuracy of every FAQ contained in this list. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dungeon Drop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple additional ones to add to the list:
Q: When are doubloons returned to the island, vs. to the general stash?
A: The ONLY time doubloons are taken from the general stash is when adding them to the island in between each round. For all other game purposes, when a rule or effect says to gain or discard doubloons, that is ALWAYS in reference to doubloons being taken from or placed on the island.

Q: Is there a difference between when the rules say "center of the island" vs. "on the beach" (in reference to doubloons)?
A: No. We will clean up this language in a subsequent printing. There is only one pile of doubloons on the island, whether you place it on the beach or somewhere else in the middle of the island.

Q: If I have 2 black jewels, do I roll for each of them every time I move?
A: Yes. Two separate rolls, and resolve each individually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Mentor
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonmiceli wrote:
Couple additional ones to add to the list:

I've added them! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.