GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,459 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Russia wins the Cold War... Twice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fernando Lopez
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently acquired TS in a huge super-duper maths trade in our local area (Sydney), and had been itching to try it out ever since. So on a balmy summer-ish day Bruce 'The Hammer' came over and we sat down to a day of spies, missiles and coups.

Now to say we got a few rules wrong is an understatement. We totally screwed up our first game so much so that is was over by turn 3.Being the owner of the game I take full responsibility for getting all the rules absolutely and completely messed up - but hey, it was the first time right?

Bruce was the good ol' of US of A while I took the role of the Commies. The game started with a flurry of activity around Europe and some minor skirmishes in Asia. Coups were the order of the day with most operations involving overthrown governments and dodgy new regimes. Also thrown into the mix were 2 scoring cards, for Europe and Asia. Now to reveal our first error - we only used events in the headline phase - not in the actions phase... shake so I has several great 3 and 4 Ops cards US cards which I used to full effect in the first turn with no repercussions, hence my huge lead going into the 2nd turn (9pts)

The second round was as active as the first with with Cosmonaut dogs arriving in space and another scoring round - this time south east Asia. With Coups left right and centre the USSR had a solid military Ops lead at the end of the round and thus solidified the lead to 13 points.

Now for the third turn you'll see our second big mistake. This turn would again feature the Europe scoring card - we thought you reshuffled the deck at the end of every round... whoops blush With a big lead in Europe from the first round the Russians again used their dominance to score big and end the game before the Mid war had even begun!

It was at this point that we realised our Event cards mistake, and decided that another game was in order to see what the game was 'really' like (Note: we didn't fix the reshuffle card until later in the next game).

We stayed with our respective countries hoping to use all the acumen garnered in our first foray of international politicking. And so the battle was renewed...

Again Europe was the main stomping ground early and a deluge of great cards to the Red army meant they had domination without too much trouble and again a big lead in the early rounds (9pts).

However this time Asia and south east Asia were more hotly contested and the gap was closed, only 3pts to the Commies when the mid war began! This is when we realised our reshuffling mistake and stopped reshuffling the discards into the draw deck... finally we would stop seeing the same cards every turn!!!

The Mid war was fought mainly in the Americas with the Russians giving up completely on Africa. Coups in Colombia and Guatemala were common - Coups in general were still the favoured method of garnering influence, so much so that the Russians got so cocky they staged a Coup in Venezuela with the world standing at Defcon 2! nuclear

...Dumb move! So dumb in fact that they were given a reprieve by the all too kind yanks and the whole incident was forgotten if not totally forgiven. The rest of the Mid War involved a scoring of Central America that was tied down the middle and a few points to Russia from the Latino's in the South.

Enter the Late War. The USSR were still on top - as they had been all game but the margin was slimming down - to 9 points at this stage. It was now when the US staged their final effort at victory - using the Cuban missile crisis to prevent the USSR from gaining any military operations while maxing it out themselves with nuclear submarines.

Unfortunately it was of no avail as when the final scoring round came about the Russians had finally discovered the use of re-alignment and general influence placement and dominated most of the regions in the world taking a final score of 25 after all was said and done.

Even with the botched rulings we both had a great time and are looking forward to renewing this tense and exciting struggle at some point in the future. thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FLo711 wrote:

The second round was as active as the first with with Cosmonaut dogs arriving in space and another scoring round - this time south east Asia. With Coups left right and centre the USSR had a solid military Ops lead at the end of the round and thus solidified the lead to 13 points.

You've made one shuffling/deck mistake here as well. SE Asia scoring is a Mid-War card, and thus can't appear before Turn 4.

Stick with it though! It's easy to botch some rules in your first few games, but as you seem to realize, it's a great game with lots and lots of fun and replayability. (In my first couple of games we had Coups in countries with no influence from either player! shake )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Lopez
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another mistake! Jeez, lucky this wasn't the real cold war... we'd all be glowing green from the fallout

Aye, we will definitely be trying it again, I mean even with our mistakes we had a great time, imagine what it'll be like when we actually know what were doing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.