Desmond Grey
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel kind of stupid. I’ve been playing Wall Crawl wrong ever since I bought the game so long ago (I bought the Core set and Paint the Town Red at the same time). I never registered the “may” part of this keyword. The keyword always seemed straight forward and easy to understand (which it is), so I never thought about it much. I always played it as whenever I recruited, I just put the Wall Crawl cards on top of my deck.

I only figured it out recently when I downloaded the Legendary App—-the one that’s a reskin of Marvel Legendary. The keyword in that game is Flying but is exactly like Wall Crawl, and I was wondering why the game kept asking me if I wanted to place the Flying card on top of my deck after recruiting it. That made me ask myself, “Wait, is there a MAY in that keyword?!” I looked it up and sure enough... Yeesh...

It makes a big difference in certain situations, especially ones with Feast floating around.

Because I bought Paint the Town Red and the Core set at the same time, I think I was still digesting rules and hadn’t keyed in on the whole “may” or “must” difference in card effects. I’ll go with that excuse.

Do any of you have rules you played wrong for a long time, only to discover the right way after many, many plays?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happens to me once in a while, I'm afraid! I'm often completely convinced of one particular way to play before discovering I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, apparently Wall Crawl. blush I've always played it as "Put on top of your deck".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, you don't get the same "may" option with Soaring Flight, which is kind of pain for Heroes with X-Gene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've played all the rules regarding Guardians of the Galaxy wrong at one time or another. The first time I played with them, we gained all the shards off the villain after defeating him, instead of just 1. Then we wondered why we ran out of shards halfway through the game.

Then I incorrectly remembered they could be used as recruit or attack whenever I wanted(thanks to Groot).

Then I incorrectly assumed the artifacts persist as triggers for card types on subsequent turns.

It was amazing how easy it was to defeat Thanos the first few times I played him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.