Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoitaan
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I had my first taste of Eyrie on randomised maps this weekend. Only my second game on randomised maps. The autumn map has given us almost a good year of service. I've played Eyrie so many times, I never expected how much the randomised clearings effected them. We had the pecular scenario where all 4 fox clearings were clustered in the opposite side of the map to me starting roost (and I drew 2 Foxes our of 3 cards when drawing starting hand). I also drew another fox or two in the next 5 cards so you can imagine how badly that game went for me.

Is there a particular strategy experienced Eyrie players use on Winter+new maps? Eyrie in my experience is already more luck dependent than the other factions but with the randomised map clearings, just seems to be pure chance on how well I'll perform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the randomized maps yet. We are still new enough to the game that most people are still really learning how to really play the factions. But I would say in a situation where all of one suit of faction are clustered that you modify the map. Not just for the Eyrie. But it seems like it would lead to an easy dominance win.

Set rules on setup prior to distributing the clearing tokens. 2 possible rules are that no clearing can be adjacent to more than 1 of the same suit. Similar to the Catan rule that no number can be adjacent to the same number and no reds numbers can be adjacent. This should allow for better spacing. Alternatively, Break the clearing up into 4 groups of 3 (1 of each) and the put each group randomly on a separate quadrant of the board. Similar to the setup of Relic Runners this ensures that no area can be devoid of a suit while still allowing for great randomization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoitaan
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah good point about the dominance victory. We'll fudge the randomness a little bit on the boxed copy. Shame we have to work with the computers RNG when trying out the new factions on TTS. I like your idea of deriving the Catan rules. Don't want it layed out perfectly homogenously though because then we might as well be playing on the autumn map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tinkering around with a Root randomization app that would include a board randomizer, with options to have no more than 2 or no more than 3 contiguous clearings of the same suit. All the suits grouped up like that can be a pain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB L1Z1X
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyrie are for sure vulnerable to a hand of X cards and starting in Y clearing with no good access to X. That's the risk of randomized maps. If I drew 3 X cards and there was no reasonable access tot hat because say the Cats put you in a bad corner, I'd show my hand and ask if people minded redrawing the hand or rerolling the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.