Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, we're playing the last quest form Immortal Souls and I have a dilemma.
Should I now buy the Arcane Portal to have the full campaign on the first playthrough?
Or should I now buy Darkness Falls, finish the campaign, and buy Arcane Portal (and Vastaryous' Lair) for the second playthrough?

The latter approach seems tempting as I get new skills for the heroes. I think it may also help keep the second playthrough more "fresh".
As far as I know Arcane Portal is just four optional quests.

Could you help me decide? I'm going to purchase both expansions either way. The only question is about the order - I can't afford them both this month.
I'm attaching a poll but more detailed answers are very welcome. Thank you in advance.
Poll
Which should I buy first?
Arcane Portal
Darkness Falls
      27 answers
Poll created by haroth9842

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As Arcane Portal is optional, I'll just focus on the practical matters.

1) Arcane Portal quest duration is way bigger than the main quest. If you have time restraints or are already struggling to fit the main game's quests into your timetable, I'd avoid AP right now.

2) Arcane Portal will allow your heroes to find more equipment and gear so they will probably enter ACT 2 much stronger. This will definitely affect difficulty. S&S has a slight 'issue' with difficulty for certain groups, so if you are already finding the game a bit too easy, Arcane Portal will definitely challenge you but in the end you'll enter ACT 2 with an even stronger party and in turn this will make ACT 2 easier.

This is something that you may or may not want to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I would ask two questions first :

1) Did you finish Immortal Souls where all heroes are at level 4? Or at least close to maximize everyone?

If not, get Arcane Portal

2) How much fun did you have?
Do you see yourself making a second playthrough?
If not, get Arcane Portal

3) How are you with the length of scenarios?
Arcane Portal is significantly longer than Immortal Souls or Darkness Falls

I do think the mechanics of the monsters in Arcane Portal is very interesting.

I won't go into spoilers, but the monsters have a cool way of working with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Bicalho
msg tools
Great post my friend.
Just finished immortal souls and im having the same doubt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
I suggest skipping AP. I loved act I, but AP's quest length just wasn't fun for me. On top of that, we were all SR IV so there was little hero progression.

AP felt like an experimental design. If you want longer quests it's not bad, but I suggest going straight to SF. If you felt the campaign was too short, then you can come back to AP on a future play through. I don't think you miss anything by skipping it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RezardVareth wrote:
I suggest skipping AP. I loved act I, but AP's quest length just wasn't fun for me. On top of that, we were all SR IV so there was little hero progression.

AP felt like an experimental design. If you want longer quests it's not bad, but I suggest going straight to SF. If you felt the campaign was too short, then you can come back to AP on a future play through. I don't think you miss anything by skipping it.

I also found Arcane Portal disappointing. Quests too long, not much enemy variety. Final quest kind of a let down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe
msg tools
I see that I’m in the minority but I would skip Arcane Portal.

a.) The quest lengths are too long
b.) The heroes all get to level 4 and the amount of gold received is exponential. You have so many soul gems during the act that dying doesn’t matter. You can only take 10 with you but you will be OP going into Act 2.
c.) It adds more content... too many extra tokens and peices. The necromancer and demons are interesting but they get old.

Positives:
a.) The new tiles are cool for customization.
b.) The quests themselves are more interesting
c.) It adds some new items and enemies if you like variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your answers everyone. It's much easier to make the decision now.
I'm 90% sure I'll go for the Darkness Falls first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Have you listened to our YouTube Podcast "Die Nische" yet? :)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Arcane Portal quests are the best designed quests so far. Play it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof
Poland
Poznań
wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
Agreed, quests are long, but also nicely designed. I would definitely advice to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
We had a session yesterday where we started Arcane Portal.
I had 2 players who played the game for the first time (after finishing the previous campaign)

I have to say, I somewhat have to change the answer to the majority here.
They liked the mission, the new enemies are very cool.

But... The quest wasn't difficult (3 Players including Dwarven Cleric)

And they really hated that they don't get any XP or worthwhile treasures.
One of them said he'd rather keep going but the other one wanted to skip to the next campaign already.

I think the fact that it's a side quest does hurt it a bit.
And they needed to find a way to give players better progression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Lo

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We played AP's 3rd mission today and lost badly (All level 4 hero, and we have pretty much all the best treasure already, and we max our bags with healing potions and remove fire items). If you think it is easy, tried played with 5 heroes. The Nightwalkers kept defends up for all enemy in the area, Efreet give out so many fire tokens, and every time the cultist died, he has a chance to spawn another demon...

At one more, our archer has 6 fire 1 token on him, so he is pretty much going to die in time phase alone.

We don't have much issue with Core campaign, but if you like challenge try AP.

A lot of the AP mission don't reveal all the map in the beginning, so it is hard to play what direction to position your heroes as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I like the most in this game is the characters' progression.
I was wondering if Arcane Portal has some features that could compensate me for a lack of new powers. As far as I see, it doesn't.

Beckikaze wrote:
The Arcane Portal quests are the best designed quests so far. Play it!!!
Don't worry, I will. Just later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
alvinltlo wrote:
If you think it is easy, tried played with 5 heroes.

My previous run was with 5.

I actually think that with 5 it's easier.
The first mission is mostly about

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Spreading the heroes out and protecting the town structures and taking out the spawn gates asap.

It's just easier to do with 5 than with 4.

The monsters are tougher, sure, but there are plenty of places to run behind corners and block line of sight so a lot of them will waste their turn doing nothing but advancing.

Of course as always it heavily depends on your party composition.

Arcane Portal really relies on you having strong DPS.

Whereas Immortal Souls was more about getting a powerful tanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.