Subject: This game is fantastic... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So i purchased this a week or so ago, ive been looking at it for a while now, but was always put off as my gaming group consists of people who like games without too many rules.

My first impression on viewing the game, was that there was way too much going on for them, and they would not enjoy it in the slightest(they also prefer games that are under 60 minutes).

So i took the splash anyway, at worst i could play it solo, at best i may snag a player or two who likes it.

Played my first Solo game earlier to get to grips with the mechanics, found it to be a lot simpler than it looks, with a lot more strategy also.

So i decided to test it out on my wife, who prefers much quicker games, explained the rules in about 15 minutes, and we set about playing.

After about an hour, she was hooked, she knew every mechanic, knew where she may have gone wrong and was now kicking herself for earlier decisions she had made, i told her not to make too much wine if she could not sell it, as it would all be a waste...but she anticipated my low yeild winery not being able to get enough victory points and made lots of wine anyway sensing victory.

When i managed ot hit the end total, she was shocked, as she had cellars full of wine, cards to fulfil orders but had just mistimed it all and lost by a couple of points.

As i was packing away, she made the comment "that looked like it was going to be boring, there would be too much to keep track of, and i would have too many decisions to make, but it was just about perfect"

I am going to roll this game out to the rest of my group in the next week, but what a gem!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture and The Ancient World both served as my personal gateway games, and although I don’t play them that often these days in lieu of games that fit my niche a little bit more, one of the things I really appreciate about it is its ability to provide a pretty thematic experience. Buying cellars to hold wine, aging grapes, making money to build structures, those are all things that really bring the theme to life.

The theme of winemaking initially sounds so boring, so when players are pleasantly surprised they enjoy the game, it really succeeds as a gateway in two ways. First, it shows that board games that seem rule heavy initially, are much simpler to absorb in practice. Second, it shows that themes that seem really boring initially, can actually produce a very fun game that makes the theme intriguing despite its down to earth and “work focused” nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Rocha
Brazil
Nova Lima
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! It is amazing! Beautiful, elegant, thematic, simple but dinamic and very strategic !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an easy game to teach.
I find it is actually easier to teach with the four season Tuscany board because the growing and harvesting sequence seems more intuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phogg wrote:
I find it is actually easier to teach with the four season Tuscany board because the growing and harvesting sequence seems more intuitive.

I was just about to ask about this, because I’m teaching Viticulture to my girlfriend soon and was wondering if I should start with the regular board or go straight for the Tuscany one. This would be her first worker placement game and didn’t want to overwhelm her, you know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evnzro wrote:
Phogg wrote:

I was just about to ask about this, because I’m teaching Viticulture to my girlfriend soon and was wondering if I should start with the regular board or go straight for the Tuscany one. This would be her first worker placement game and didn’t want to overwhelm her, you know?

Go for the base game first, i have the essential edition, and it is a perfect opener for worker placement games.

I'm confident i can get The Gallerist to the table in 6 months when my wife wants more of this style of game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Young
United States
Topanga
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my and my wife's favorite games of all time. We usually open a bottle of wine and put on some traditional Italian music when we play, to add to the atmosphere. So glad you had such a positive experience - welcome to the Viticulture Culture!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kid you not, my wife is now nagging me every day to play this game......

What have i done!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:
I kid you not, my wife is now nagging me every day to play this game......

What have i done!!!!

Awesome! It's great to have someone so close to you that's showing interest in games like that! My significant other does as well, and I consider myself very fortunate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Bode
United Kingdom
Manchester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agreed this game is so well implemented. I'd say the theme is not a great one - but my is it well implemented and the mechanics are a joy. It's interesting and challenging to play and has enough pretty stuff on the board to make others jealous.

I'd recommend pimping out your copy.

Metal coins.
Doll House wine bottles as replacement markers.
New Kickstarter meeples.
Stained wine tokens for Red, White, Rose and Champagne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
romanbode wrote:
Agreed this game is so well implemented. I'd say the theme is not a great one - but my is it well implemented and the mechanics are a joy. It's interesting and challenging to play and has enough pretty stuff on the board to make others jealous.

I'd recommend pimping out your copy.

Metal coins.
Doll House wine bottles as replacement markers.
New Kickstarter meeples.
Stained wine tokens for Red, White, Rose and Champagne.

I already have the dolls house wine bottles, the coins and Tuscany are being delivered tomorrow

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/4666790/viticulture-essentia...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.