Subject: Why I rarely post to BGG forums anymore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
I would like to point to a recent example in which the new moderation not only worked beautifully, but shows that this is not politically one-sided:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2184774/what-game-do-yo...

The OP asked which games we'd wish our spouse/sig other would play, leaving the question open to both men and women, gay and straight, gamer and non-gamer alike. A user took issue with the thread being "another bunch of men complaining about their non-gamer wives," and lots of people responded (including me) in disagreement.

From the eleventh post, the entire premise of the (reasonable and inclusively-worded) thread was ruined, and the longer the contentious post remained visible, the more people jumped in repeatedly to argue, including the derailing poster and the OP who felt he needed to defend himself on multiple occasions.

This is why the new moderation works. Removing the distractions and controversy prevents more distractions and controversy. The thread is way better off now.

And that's coming from someone who had two of my own posts removed ("Oh God! the humanity!!")

Yes! I thought about posting that thread here as an example when I saw it earlier. Perfect example of the "side" that so many people here seem to think gets a pass actually getting moderated when it needs to be.

It's just good moderation. It's not a political message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

Yes! I thought about posting that thread here as an example when I saw it earlier. Perfect example of the "side" that so many people here seem to think gets a pass actually getting moderated when it needs to be.

It's just good moderation. It's not a political message.

Points excitedly at sign mounted above the camera...

TEND THE NARRATIVE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This film's crap, let's slash the seats
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

Or the many threads where somebody starts a thread with something like... "I am a Christian and I feel uncomfortable playing X game because of Y, how to other christians feel about this?" (Y = magic/symbols like pentagrams/idol worship/nudity - whatever) and the thread being about 75% people (mostly not Christians) ridiculing the OP for being backwards rather than leaving the discussion to be had between them and other Christians as requested.

That one annoys me too. And while I'm not saying I was in every single thread on that topic if you look back I have a verifable track record of calling people out on that. I believe I've used the term "pound shop Richard Dawkins" at least once.

I'm not in favour of restricting those threads to Christians and that would be a double standard. (No other threads are restricted to a specific community. I can't do a thread on political games that only far left people are allowed to participate in or one on football games that bans Liverpool fans).

But yes, I think expecting participants in those threads to accept the basic premise of the thread is reasonable.

Quote:
So do you think these kinds of threads should now get the same kind of one sided moderation shutting down all discussion challenging the resolved OP starting position?

If yes... I appauld your consistancy, even if I don't like the idea of shutting down discussions wholesale in general. If no... well I feel quite differently about your position then.

See above. If someone starts a thread asking for a game that suits their intrepration of Christianity I think that people go "LOL CHRISTIANS" instead of addressing the OP should be moderated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This film's crap, let's slash the seats
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HereSince2010 wrote:

Sometimes, a reasonable response is deleted as well because it quoted something deemed derailing, etc. That's happened to me. Collateral damage, but the idea is to get rid of the offending material.

I was perfectly fine with having my response deleted. Having it remain would've made little sense to anyone reading the thread later. Also, it's very likely I could've been accused of being rude in response.

In the past I would have been blocked for a week or more for that exchange. You better believe I prefer this way over the old. I'm not out for blood when someone's rude - I don't need someone to be banned. What I want is a sense of justice and fairness and for the behavior to stop. So far this way looks like it's doing that, at least for me.[/q]

As someone who's been moderated a few (*cough*) times on here in some way I prefer the old way. I could treat it as a push your luck your game, where I could decide that a few days ban was more than worth it because my insult would still have taken place and still be up.

Which was awesome.

But I have a feeling that I may be a good argument for why the new system is better than the old one as far as actually achieving the goal of stopping people being antagonistic is concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m increasingly grumpy about organized religion as I get older but the reflexive antireligious hostility of some people is damn rude and also lazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Carkin
United States
Bradford
NH
flag msg tools
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
HereSince2010 wrote:

Sometimes, a reasonable response is deleted as well because it quoted something deemed derailing, etc. That's happened to me. Collateral damage, but the idea is to get rid of the offending material.

I was perfectly fine with having my response deleted. Having it remain would've made little sense to anyone reading the thread later. Also, it's very likely I could've been accused of being rude in response.

In the past I would have been blocked for a week or more for that exchange. You better believe I prefer this way over the old. I'm not out for blood when someone's rude - I don't need someone to be banned. What I want is a sense of justice and fairness and for the behavior to stop. So far this way looks like it's doing that, at least for me.

Quote:
As someone who's been moderated a few (*cough*) times on here in some way I prefer the old way. I could treat it as a push your luck your game, where I could decide that a few days ban was more than worth it because my insult would still have taken place and still be up.

Which was awesome.

But I have a feeling that I may be a good argument for why the new system is better than the old one as far as actually achieving the goal of stopping people being antagonistic is concerned.

My last ban was three months. Yeah, I enjoyed fighting back, but for me it was going to come down to whether or not I was even going to use this site. I'll take the new way over the old thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[ ...sucks to be conservative here paraphrase... ]

No lie. That started years ago. It has just gotten worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
reddish22 wrote:
At least before I could still read unpopular/controversial opinions for myself

Yeah, except they’re not deleting “unpopular/controversial opinions,” they’re deleting racism, sexism, bigotry, personal attacks, and a bunch of off topic bullshit that shouldn’t be there in the first place.

Now if you simply don’t believe site leadership when they tell you their policies, motivations, philosophies, etc, then that’s a trust issue that no amount of moderation transparency is going to fix.

I guess I wonder, if you don’t trust this site to act in good faith, why are you part of this community at all? And is there any particular reason you don’t trust them?

Except they aren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:
Have to agree with the OP... Sadly BGG is becoming a censorship paradise, I had a post removed the other day (I wasn't notified nor received any warning) just because I pointed out to a user that was being very antagonistic to everyone on that thread... I didn't insult him or said any cuss words, jlwas just a normal post that was discussing the behavior of a user.

My post was removed, other users also got responses removed, the posts of the antagonistic guy weren't, my guess was that he was flagging pretty much all the posts that called him out and the mod just went there and removed them without bothering to read anything...

Very sad indeed!

did you red-x the post you were commenting on?

I'm coming to this thread late, but I love comments like this. Indeed, as stats have shown, most of us on one side do not demand more moderation. Jack Dorsey even commented on this in his recent interview with Roegan. But maybe we should learn yes? Maybe we should ruthlessly use the 'X'. I'm thinking you are right. And that I was far too moderate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MGAC wrote:
cbazler wrote:
MGAC wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
I know the reason for the change in moderation. This is an overwhelmingly male and (I think) white website and hobby, and other groups sometimes felt marginalized and excluded. I'm all in favor of making the site more inclusive and welcoming.

Also, the guys who run the site seem like a pretty progressive bunch. That's cool. Hell, so am I! That's why I do what I do for 8ish plus hours every day. But I think my progressivism comes from a different era. I am 55, after all. I remember when college students protested against restrictions on speech, and in favor of free speech on campus. Now they protest against speakers coming to campus, and in favor of safe spaces and trigger warnings. Not my kind of progressivism, but somebody mentioned farting dinosaurs before. I guess I'm one.

Funny, I always considered myself too immature to be old.

What about folks who don't lean to the left? Are they okay to post here? Or is there now a progressive litmus test for those who want to post on BoardGameGeek? Just asking.

They are certainly welcome here too, as long as they can restrain themselves from hurling offensive derogatory (and I'd add, homophobic and misogynistic) insults like "betas" "cucks" and "soy boys" at other users.

Well, that's comforting. I would assume you also include the leftists that tend to call everybody Nazis, homophobes, or misogynists, right?

It is interesting that this was hidden despite violating no rules. Zero. Zip. Nada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
I agree. Still, it is the natural position of a conservative to think that things are fine the way they are. That pretty much defines the position (except in certain extreme cases where they actually want to regress to past states). So to the degree that there is a ban on making statements that "this" or "that" is not really a problem, that is a de facto a ban on conservative positions.

(This isn't really directed at Pete; this is just a stepping-off point...)

Having read most if not all of Octavian's postings about this, the thing that seems to be escaping people is that one can still take "the conservative position", even advocate for it.

Respectfully.

In its own thread.

What one can't do anymore is do so in a thread that starts from the premise that these things exist, and are an issue. Doing so is, in fact, derailing and disruptive, at the very least.

Some people also have trouble seeing that their "facts" are subjective interpretations, and that presentation of "facts" still has to conform to the Community Standards.

This *really* isn't that hard. That some people find it so very difficult is illuminating, to say the least.

Indeed if you don't believe or agree with the Zeitgeist then you must move onto the reservation. And yes, I used that intentionally because that is what you are saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
[q="Marthian80"]
If you don't agree with the premise of the thread, you have no place posting to that thread. Just accept it and move on. If you can't accept it, do some reflecting on yourself, because there's a problem there, and it isn't with BGG.

If that is true, and it is your position, why are you posting here at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This post has been removed by a moderator - Disruptive
This post has been removed by a moderator - Antagonizing
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickjost wrote:
MGAC wrote:
cbazler wrote:
MGAC wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
I know the reason for the change in moderation. This is an overwhelmingly male and (I think) white website and hobby, and other groups sometimes felt marginalized and excluded. I'm all in favor of making the site more inclusive and welcoming.

Also, the guys who run the site seem like a pretty progressive bunch. That's cool. Hell, so am I! That's why I do what I do for 8ish plus hours every day. But I think my progressivism comes from a different era. I am 55, after all. I remember when college students protested against restrictions on speech, and in favor of free speech on campus. Now they protest against speakers coming to campus, and in favor of safe spaces and trigger warnings. Not my kind of progressivism, but somebody mentioned farting dinosaurs before. I guess I'm one.

Funny, I always considered myself too immature to be old.

What about folks who don't lean to the left? Are they okay to post here? Or is there now a progressive litmus test for those who want to post on BoardGameGeek? Just asking.

They are certainly welcome here too, as long as they can restrain themselves from hurling offensive derogatory (and I'd add, homophobic and misogynistic) insults like "betas" "cucks" and "soy boys" at other users.

Well, that's comforting. I would assume you also include the leftists that tend to call everybody Nazis, homophobes, or misogynists, right?

It is interesting that this was hidden despite violating no rules. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Sounds like you don’t understand what causes posts to become collapsed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Response to removed post
Response to removed post
Response to removed post
Response to removed post
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickjost wrote:
grant5 wrote:
reddish22 wrote:
At least before I could still read unpopular/controversial opinions for myself

Yeah, except they’re not deleting “unpopular/controversial opinions,” they’re deleting racism, sexism, bigotry, personal attacks, and a bunch of off topic bullshit that shouldn’t be there in the first place.

Now if you simply don’t believe site leadership when they tell you their policies, motivations, philosophies, etc, then that’s a trust issue that no amount of moderation transparency is going to fix.

I guess I wonder, if you don’t trust this site to act in good faith, why are you part of this community at all? And is there any particular reason you don’t trust them?

Except they aren't.

Who isn't what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and who had the brass balls to post that wonderfully titled thread of "X Y can go Z himself"?

Like that was ever going to stick. I gotta say... Friday is turning out to be way more entertaining than my horoscope hinted.

Even the Chimp in BJ and the Bear would know enough not to try that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
Why aren't these considered SPAM and not deleted?

Edit:
Just trying to understand where the line is drawn

Octavian has stated that the Complaints Forum is not moderated as severely as the rest of the site.

Source:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/30984782#30984782
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Welcome to the thread, Nick. Needed another conservative with a persecution complex in the fray.

Why isn't this dismissive and a personal attack? Why isn't this response deleted?

For starters, it's not being dismissive of important or sensitive topics, like those having to do with race, gender, sexuality, culture, etc.

Second, it's in response to this opinion that is continuously trotted out in this and other threads that "one side" is more harshly punished and treated unfairly. That is an irrational position unsupported by evidence.

Just like it's completely okay to be dismissive of flat earthers, climate change deniers, and anti-vaxers. If you're going to keep posting about stuff that isn't real or accurate, you should get called out for it.

All that being said, Octavian still might decide to delete it (and all these responses), and I'm completely OK with that. This isn't my site and I don't get to make the rules, and this conversation certainly isn't essential for discussing board games.
same advice as always: did you red-x them? or do you think posts moderate themselves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  14 , 15 , 16 , 17 , 18  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.