tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be a fervent contributor to BGG, but then I started getting these warnings about innocent jokes I posted in reply to some threads demanding that I take down my posts "for the good of the community". Try as I might, I couldn't see the offence in my posts except to the most edgy people I could possibly imagine. I then decided that better than post replies, I'd keep my mouth shut for fear of being banned from BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:
Why aren't these considered SPAM and not deleted?

Edit:
Just trying to understand where the line is drawn

Octavian has stated that the Complaints Forum is not moderated as severely as the rest of the site.

Source:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/30984782#30984782

You were saying?

I actually don't remember what the deleted posts said, so I don't know if the deletions were justified. Consequence of getting older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
cbazler wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

Edit:

Octavian has stated that the Complaints Forum is not moderated as severely as the rest of the site.

Source:

You were saying?

I actually don't remember what the deleted posts said, so I don't know if the deletions were justified. Consequence of getting older.

I recall them. They were mostly Grant's and Darth Hugo's responses to the person that asked "why aren't these posts treated as spam". And there's your answer. Posts that are nothing but wind-ups will go, "sides" be damned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
JasonJ0 wrote:
cbazler wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

Edit:

Source:

You were saying?

I recall them. They were mostly Grant's and Darth Hugo's responses to the person that asked "why aren't these posts treated as spam". And there's your answer. Posts that are nothing but wind-ups will go, "sides" be damned.

If that's the case it shows how ineffective this 'deletion' concept is, considering how constantly they engage in that behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
cbazler wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

Edit:

Source:

You were saying?

If that's the case it shows how ineffective this 'deletion' concept is, considering how constantly they engage in that behavior.

Yet it's also working because content deemed not to add anything to the thread was deleted. So I can just as easily say it's working fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Same answer as always - are you flagging them? This removal doesn't happen by magic, there aren't mods just reading threads on the off-chance of finding something. Someone has to flag them (as clearly happened here).

Possibly it doesn't help that a fair few of the people that Grant and Darth Hugo poke at are also the people who have a huge chip on their shoulder about BGG's moderation and so won't flag things, preferring instead to moan about how it doesn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never thought about the feedback loop, but what I can say is that if anyone is calculating the morals/practicality of RedXs in relation to tacit support (of moderation) is really overthinking a thing of life that doesn't deserve it. Eventually, life will stomp out all those trivialities, so I guess it is nice that some still can focus on this minutiae.

Then again, this is a site about toys, so misplaced effort and import is part and parcel of the visit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
vidra wrote:
I used to be a fervent contributor to BGG, but then I started getting these warnings about innocent jokes I posted in reply to some threads demanding that I take down my posts "for the good of the community". Try as I might, I couldn't see the offence in my posts except to the most edgy people I could possibly imagine. I then decided that better than post replies, I'd keep my mouth shut for fear of being banned from BGG.

I think my high(low?) point was getting a ban resulting from posting a game on a list entitle "offensive games".

Although I have to say I find this thread heart-warming. I'm not alone. And amid all the deleted posts, censored comments and actual discord that wasn't censored I find more like minds and community than on most other parts of this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
cbazler wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

Edit:

Source:

You were saying?

...he said in a post actively trying to wind people up. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Tea
msg tools
Exact same thing happened to me

A user attacked the op who was sharing hos experience about playing the prototype of a game

I asked him to apologize to the op and got a warning and comment removed for antagonizing

So ironic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Htthtt wrote:

A user attacked the op who was sharing hos experience about playing the prototype of a game

I asked him to apologize to the op and got a warning and comment removed for antagonizing

So ironic

Because demanding someone apologize to someone else in a thread about something totally different is the definition of derailing.

Just red-x it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Htthtt wrote:

So ironic

Not your place to demand apologies from people. I agree with 15 Keys. Clear derailing.

Also, if it's the post I'm thinking of, you also insulted the guy and accused him of posting in bad faith. Definite antagonizing.

Also also, looks like you've had multiple posts removed lately for antagonizing. So, mods could be basing some decisions on a pattern of behavior, who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Htthtt wrote:

So ironic

Not your place to demand apologies from people. I agree with 15 Keys. Clear derailing.

Also, if it's the post I'm thinking of, you also insulted the guy and accused him of posting in bad faith. Definite antagonizing.

Also also, looks like you've had multiple posts removed lately for antagonizing. So, mods could be basing some decisions on a pattern of behavior, who knows?

Is bias fair from loss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Carkin
United States
Bradford
NH
flag msg tools
grant5 wrote:
Htthtt wrote:

So ironic

Forgetting entirely the person you're responding to and their specific situation, your claim in the generic that it's not someone's place to demand an apology is EXACTLY what I was talking about in terms of my personal beef with this site.

It goes back direclty to what I already posted. Do you actually support the idea of creating community here? Do you actually support people who have been bullied by others? When you have a system that systemically targets the bully - and only if the moderator is convinced that it took place - while ignoring the victim it absolutely does not create community nor does it create a welcoming environment.

As I've already posted before, I support the new changes to the moderation policy as it does at least appear to create a sense of justice for those who have been bullied. Seeing comments deleted tells the victim they were seen and recognized. I've been here almost 10 years and this was my #1 bitch about this site and how it was moderated. It favored the bullies and it specifically and most notably created an environment unwelcoming to women and minorities.

Your argument here comes off as rather dismissive of this issue that has plagued this site. Saying people don't have a right to demand apologies - in the generic, not this specific case - is a denial of a problem that has needed fixing for a long time. Again, seems like the site is moving in the right direction. Your attitude, not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HereSince2010 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Htthtt wrote:

So ironic

Forgetting entirely the person you're responding to and their specific situation, your claim in the generic that it's not someone's place to demand an apology is EXACTLY what I was talking about in terms of my personal beef with this site.

It goes back direclty to what I already posted. Do you actually support the idea of creating community here? Do you actually support people who have been bullied by others? When you have a system that systemically targets the bully - and only if the moderator is convinced that it took place - while ignoring the victim it absolutely does not create community nor does it create a welcoming environment.

As I've already posted before, I support the new changes to the moderation policy as it does at least appear to create a sense of justice for those who have been bullied. Seeing comments deleted tells the victim they were seen and recognized. I've been here almost 10 years and this was my #1 bitch about this site and how it was moderated. It favored the bullies and it specifically and most notably created an environment unwelcoming to women and minorities.

Your argument here comes off as rather dismissive of this issue that has plagued this site. Saying people don't have a right to demand apologies - in the generic, not this specific case - is a denial of a problem that has needed fixing for a long time. Again, seems like the site is moving in the right direction. Your attitude, not so much.

I think the admins get to decide who apologizes or needs to, not the user base. As if one needs to round up a posse to exact a leveling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
HereSince2010 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Htthtt wrote:

So ironic

I think the admins get to decide who apologizes or needs to, not the user base. As if one needs to round up a posse to exact a leveling.

I disagree. Especially when the admins have shown again and again such bias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
HereSince2010 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Htthtt wrote:

So ironic

What bias?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petegs wrote:
corkysru wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
HereSince2010 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Htthtt wrote:

So ironic

What bias?

If that is a serious question I suggest reading this sub forum. Much of this is covered here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
HereSince2010 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Htthtt wrote:

So ironic

except this wasn't a case of a user demanded an apology for being bullied. This was a 3rd party telling one user to apologize to another user. Just red-x and move on. It's not the users job to demand apologies on others behalf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
petegs wrote:
corkysru wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
HereSince2010 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Htthtt wrote:

So ironic

What bias?

If that is a serious question I suggest reading this sub forum. Much of this is covered here.

People complaining about having disruptive posts deleted has nothing to do with bias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
HereSince2010 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Htthtt wrote:

So ironic

except this wasn't a case of a user demanded an apology for being bullied. This was a 3rd party telling one user to apologize to another user. Just red-x and move on. It's not the users job to demand apologies on others behalf.

And he also was very insulting to the person from whom an apology was demanded, so it’s not like it was a genuine plea for civility or something.

The post was actually deleted for being antagonizing, NOT for being disruptive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
petegs wrote:
corkysru wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
HereSince2010 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Htthtt wrote:

So ironic

What bias?

If that’s a serious statement I suggest reading this sub forum. Much of this has been clearly disproven here, though those with an ax to grind are loath to admit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  15 , 16 , 17 , 18 , 19  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.