Recommend
33 
 Thumb up
 Hide
519 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: Why I rarely post to BGG forums anymore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:


Telling people their problems aren't problems and don't need to be discussed is the problem and exactly what isn't allowed anymore

I guess that rule doesn't apply to this thread, specifically, for some reason.

12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think it is ironic how increasingly-common derailing tactics of questioning/sealioning, telling someone their problem is not a problem, and name-calling were very likely the causes of the moderation change.

And now they're being used by the other side, the one that (rightfully, imo) called BS on it.

It wasn't right or good for community before, so why is it now?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:


Telling people their problems aren't problems and don't need to be discussed is the problem and exactly what isn't allowed anymore

I guess that rule doesn't apply to this thread, specifically, for some reason.

1. people tried to shut down discussion by saying other people's problems weren't really problem
2. that is no longer allowed
3. those people complain and when others tell them too bad, thems the rules, they claim they are being shut down which isn't allowed.

is that about it?

first, no one here has been deleted/removed so not really comparable.
second, this is just a variation of the "you must tolerate my intolerance if you wish to claim to be tolerant" argument which is nonsense.
13 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dna_Boy wrote:
I got posts deleted for stating the obvious facts, common sense, logical, the don't-be-a-victim opinions about issues. And was banned for a day!
What thread was that in, by the way? The only post of yours that I saw deleted was in a Busen Memo thread, and it wasn't what you're describing here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:
I still think it is ironic how increasingly-common derailing tactics of questioning/sealioning, telling someone their problem is not a problem, and name-calling were very likely the causes of the moderation change.

And now they're being used by the other side, the one that (rightfully, imo) called BS on it.

It wasn't right or good for community before, so why is it now?
this is a false equivalence.

previously, what was happening was that minority voices were being silenced and topics weren't able to be discussed.

what is happening now is the people who previously tried to shut down & derail topics are being told they can't. The only thing being silenced is the ability to silence a discussion.
18 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallgur wrote:
tumorous wrote:
Threads like this one are making me feel better and better about the current state of moderation.

There are always people happy with anything.

and then there are always people that don't like something.

Go figure.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moraedin wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
I do love the sound of gas expelling from dinosaur carcasses.

It sounds like change.


Change instigated by a few people that cant accept contrary opinions and prefer to have them simply removed is not change. It's the creation of an echo chamber where everyone loses.

Such is the state of things. Call me an old fart, but i rather enjoyed debating with people who could take it in stride and not feel bitter because someone disagrees with them... Guess those days are long gone.

No, its good change. This site is primarily about toys. If you focus on that, you'll be fine. If you are looking for discourse in things that you find not toy related, go spelunk elsewhere.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:
I still think it is ironic how increasingly-common derailing tactics of questioning/sealioning, telling someone their problem is not a problem, and name-calling were very likely the causes of the moderation change.

And now they're being used by the other side, the one that (rightfully, imo) called BS on it.

It wasn't right or good for community before, so why is it now?

You really are more than welcome to continue the old ways in any thread you want.

I'm not telling you not to do that.

What I'm telling you is that if you get moderated... that's really just too bad.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Dna_Boy wrote:
I got posts deleted for stating the obvious facts, common sense, logical, the don't-be-a-victim opinions about issues. And was banned for a day!
What thread was that in, by the way? The only post of yours that I saw deleted was in a Busen Memo thread, and it wasn't what you're describing here.

Ah, Busen Memo jokes. The woopie cushion of BGG memes.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:


Telling people their problems aren't problems and don't need to be discussed is the problem and exactly what isn't allowed anymore

I guess that rule doesn't apply to this thread, specifically, for some reason.


on both sides...

Yeah, that tactic just seems to have lost all its dry powder.

Shocking to apply that spark and no BAM!

4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dna_Boy wrote:
I got posts deleted for stating the obvious facts, common sense, logical, the don't-be-a-victim opinions about issues. And was banned for a day!

Oh no, you got banned for a day!?!? OMG!!!

Stop being a victim.


(do you see now how such comments marginalize and dismiss your point of view without contributing anything to the conversation?)
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
People need to stop conflating notions of freedom and fairness while confusing communities with public forums. The social construct of BGG can make room for many points of view and give equal access to it's users to talk about those things, but it doesn't need to give access to talk about all things. Prohibiting radicalization efforts by white supremisists, for example, has no place in this community and there's no reason for the staff and volunteers to allow for that kind of speech.

If you get your content removed, it means, it was, in the opinion of the moderator, in violation of the terms of use. It doesn't really if you think it was a fair application of the rules. The moderators are empowered to be the final arbiters. If you're unhappy with that, it's akin to being unhappy with the structure and governance of this community. There's nothing wrong with that. You just need to find a place you'll be happy. It's at best, spitting in the wind, to suggest the community change to fit you, and at worst, antagonistic and hateful. Reddit, 4chan, and 8chan all have decreasing levels of moderator intervention. You might want to check those out.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
...you got banned for a day!?!?...

Hasn't everyone gotten a slap on the wrist at some point or the other while using this site? I feel like you're not kewl unless you get some ban trophies under your avatar.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
cbazler wrote:
...you got banned for a day!?!?...

Hasn't everyone gotten a slap on the wrist at some point or the other while using this site? I feel like you're not kewl unless you get some ban trophies under your avatar.
I love getting banned. My work productivity spikes like crazy.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
sirgalin wrote:
cbazler wrote:
...you got banned for a day!?!?...

Hasn't everyone gotten a slap on the wrist at some point or the other while using this site? I feel like you're not kewl unless you get some ban trophies under your avatar.
I love getting banned. My work productivity spikes like crazy.

Strangely, my productivity also goes up when you get banned. whistle
5 
 Thumb up
5.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
grant5 wrote:

Yeah, except they’re not deleting “unpopular/controversial opinions,” they’re deleting racism, sexism, bigotry, personal attacks, and a bunch of off topic bullshit that shouldn’t be there in the first place.


Sorry, but that's bs. I've gotten deleted, and I would never write something racist, sexist, or bigoted, because I'm morally opposed to that. For example, I got deleted for saying that I hated the term "mansplaining" and found it offensive. That's not sexist. In fact, I think the word is sexist. Using an offensive, sexist word to describe offensive, sexist conduct is wrong (and ironic).

By the way, I would have said the same thing if there were a thread about "womansplaining," because where I stand doesn't depend on where I sit.
Unless it was in RSP, debating the validity of the term mansplaining would almost certainly be considered off topic, which, as I said, is another reason things get deleted. It's also a very common derailment tactic.

To be fair, I wasn't aware of the new, ultra-orthodox policy on "off-topic" comments. I had only really posted in game-related threads, and those go off-topic all the time.

I would never intentionally derail a thread. I don't understand the whole idea of derailing threads you don't like. What does someone gain by doing that? I would either debate the ideas, or ignore them. No one really cares what's said here anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
horstderadler wrote:
It depends on your settings. There is currently one comment in this thread that is "under my threshold" and thus, I have to actively open it.
And I for one still cannot figure out what this "threshold" is. I seem to only have a setting for hiding the comments, or not, and no setting for tweaking this elusive "threshold."

And I suppose that is considered a complaint, so I am in the right place.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Guedes
Portugal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Moraedin wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
I do love the sound of gas expelling from dinosaur carcasses.

It sounds like change.


Change instigated by a few people that cant accept contrary opinions and prefer to have them simply removed is not change. It's the creation of an echo chamber where everyone loses.

Such is the state of things. Call me an old fart, but i rather enjoyed debating with people who could take it in stride and not feel bitter because someone disagrees with them... Guess those days are long gone.

No, its good change. This site is primarily about toys. If you focus on that, you'll be fine. If you are looking for discourse in things that you find not toy related, go spelunk elsewhere.


I dont spelunk. I debate. And although the site is about toys, many board games are toys that promote discussion about themes that many will find offensive.

The bgg community has always prided itself of being comprised of an inteligent bunch of people. For the most part, conversations were kept civil, even when people didnt agree with each other. I'm not talking about racism, sexism, or anything of that ilk, so dont even go there.

Nowadays, many, many users get ruffled for nothing and spam the report button. You call that good change? A good change would be learning how to deal with the contradictory. Learn to defend your points of view, dont go berserk just because you're not validated in some way. Not talking about anyone in particular, just about the general sentiment i get browsing the forums (or the internet) nowadays.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
cbazler wrote:
...you got banned for a day!?!?...

Hasn't everyone gotten a slap on the wrist at some point or the other while using this site? I feel like you're not kewl unless you get some ban trophies under your avatar.
Hey! There are no such microbadges. I oughtta know, I just wasted time looking for them.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoya wrote:
horstderadler wrote:
It depends on your settings. There is currently one comment in this thread that is "under my threshold" and thus, I have to actively open it.
And I for one still cannot figure out what this "threshold" is. I seem to only have a setting for hiding the comments, or not, and no setting for tweaking this elusive "threshold."

And I suppose that is considered a complaint, so I am in the right place.

My Geek
Account
Forums
Threshold
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
sirgalin wrote:
cbazler wrote:
...you got banned for a day!?!?...

Hasn't everyone gotten a slap on the wrist at some point or the other while using this site? I feel like you're not kewl unless you get some ban trophies under your avatar.
I love getting banned. My work productivity spikes like crazy.

Me too... My net worth increases because I can perform billable work and make $ on the gyrations of the market.

Getting banned from RSP was the biggest financial windfall of my life... next to Apple and NFLX.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moraedin wrote:
Nowadays, many, many users get ruffled for nothing and spam the report button. You call that good change?
Yes. A good change is no longer assuming that just because people like YOU think what they're upset over is "nothing" doesn't mean it's actually nothing.

If you're going around telling people they're upset over nothing that is dismissive and insulting, and you damn well deserve to be moderated.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moraedin wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Moraedin wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
I do love the sound of gas expelling from dinosaur carcasses.

It sounds like change.


Change instigated by a few people that cant accept contrary opinions and prefer to have them simply removed is not change. It's the creation of an echo chamber where everyone loses.

Such is the state of things. Call me an old fart, but i rather enjoyed debating with people who could take it in stride and not feel bitter because someone disagrees with them... Guess those days are long gone.

No, its good change. This site is primarily about toys. If you focus on that, you'll be fine. If you are looking for discourse in things that you find not toy related, go spelunk elsewhere.


I dont spelunk. I debate. And although the site is about toys, many board games are toys that promote discussion about themes that many will find offensive.

The bgg community has always prided itself of being comprised of an inteligent bunch of people. For the most part, conversations were kept civil, even when people didnt agree with each other. I'm not talking about racism, sexism, or anything of that ilk, so dont even go there.

Nowadays, many, many users get ruffled for nothing and spam the report button. You call that good change? A good change would be learning how to deal with the contradictory. Learn to defend your points of view, dont go berserk just because you're not validated in some way. Not talking about anyone in particular, just about the general sentiment i get browsing the forums (or the internet) nowadays.

I call BS on the trigger sensitivity of now versus back then. Perhaps you are conflating user base numbers with sensitivity/getting flagged.

It's real simple. If you don't want to get moderated, don't exhibit behavior that will get you moderated.

If you don't understand what behavior gets that award, well then start keeping a journal.

Like a sapper squad mapping out a field. Mark a big Red X when you get an appendage blown off and all the rest are good.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Moraedin wrote:
Nowadays, many, many users get ruffled for nothing and spam the report button. You call that good change?
Yes. A good change is no longer assuming that just because people like YOU think what they're upset over is "nothing" doesn't mean it's actually nothing.

If you're going around telling people they're upset over nothing that is dismissive and insulting, and you damn well deserve to be moderated.

Hey... why are you so sensitive to things that I normally could just blurt out with no introspection or evaluation. What happened to you?

Ah, I'm just joking ya!



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Guedes
Portugal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can call bs on anything you want. You still dont adress the main point of my posts.

Furthermore, you are being just as agressive as some of the people that you applaud being banned. I dont assume that tone when i speak. Many dont and still get pounded.

But thats the beauty of opinion. You having yours doesnt mean i cant have mine. You trying to intimidate everyone who disagrees with you doesnt mean im going to change mine. Amd the world keeps turning.
17 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] |