Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress» Forums » Variants

Subject: Plague Marines, Poxwalkers and other enemies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow Blackstone Fortress players! I recently did some Plague Marines, Poxwalkers and other enemy cards. These are based on the unofficial Spanish cards we've seen (+ some modifications). They are intended to be somewhat harder than the existing enemies so be warned. Let me know what you think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing your work.

Do you by chance have encounter cards in mind for these creatures, or an idea as to which base game model each would replace?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atvar wrote:
This looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing your work.

Do you by chance have encounter cards in mind for these creatures, or an idea as to which base game model each would replace?

Encounter cards are almost ready, will add them once done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grimzim wrote:
Hi fellow Blackstone Fortress players! I recently did some Plague Marines, Poxwalkers and other enemy cards. These are based on the unofficial Spanish cards we've seen (+ some modifications). They are intended to be somewhat harder than the existing enemies so be warned. Let me know what you think...

Thanks! I have a DG army, and this looks great!

I'm no expert, I've only played one Expedition (two Combats, plus 4 Challenges, of which two were mini-combats). Then, returned to Precipice when all explorers but the Robot were sporting 2 or 3 Grievous Wounds. So, I'm not sure how resilient are the Explorers in the long run. But, gosh, this is quite a lot of attacks with no saves?

Also, I don't get Poxwalker's Virulence. What are "enemies." Hostiles? Why would Virulence attack other Nurgle followers? They are not attacked by Nurgle's Gift. Why are "enemies" replaced with Poxwalkers, when adjacent enemies are most likely other Poxwalkers? Replacing a Poxwalker with a Poxwalker seems fussy. And, if that means attacking "normal" Hostiles like Ur-Ghuls and Negavolt Cultists, that would reduce the Hostile force's effectiveness. They would be attacking and possibly replacing much better Hostiles. Maybe I'm reading too much into Virulence? If so, sorry.

Again, nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:

Thanks! I have a DG army, and this looks great!

I'm no expert, I've only played one Expedition (two Combats, plus 4 Challenges, of which two were mini-combats). Then, returned to Precipice when all explorers but the Robot were sporting 2 or 3 Grievous Wounds. So, I'm not sure how resilient are the Explorers in the long run. But, gosh, this is quite a lot of attacks with no saves?

Also, I don't get Poxwalker's Virulence. What are "enemies." Hostiles? Why would Virulence attack other Nurgle followers? They are not attacked by Nurgle's Gift. Why are "enemies" replaced with Poxwalkers, when adjacent enemies are most likely other Poxwalkers? Replacing a Poxwalker with a Poxwalker seems fussy. And, if that means attacking "normal" Hostiles like Ur-Ghuls and Negavolt Cultists, that would reduce the Hostile force's effectiveness. They would be attacking and possibly replacing much better Hostiles. Maybe I'm reading too much into Virulence? If so, sorry.

Again, nice work!

Thanks for your feedback! Indeed, there are quite some attacks that don't allow saves, however you should position your explorers in a way that avoids or minimizes the amount of those attacks.

Regarding the Virulence: If I remember correctly I translated this from the spanish version. I think I will do a re-work of this attack and make it more clear.

Edit: Updated the original Poxwalker Behavior card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update

Added Encounter cards to original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul jamison
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
those. are. rad.
great work!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grimzim wrote:

Edit: Updated the original Poxwalker Behavior card.
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work!

Two questions :

- Did you respect the fonts used on the cards? I can't verify myself as I'm not home.

- I feel like all of these models are from the Easy To Build range. Am I correct?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:
Nice work!

Two questions :

- Did you respect the fonts used on the cards? I can't verify myself as I'm not home.

- I feel like all of these models are from the Easy To Build range. Am I correct?

Thank you.

I used fonts that are close to the ones on the original cards but as we don't know what GW exactly used we will never have 100% identical fonts.

Plague Marines and Poxwalkers should be available from the easy to build range. The Plaguecaster, Lord of Contagion, Foetid Bloat-Drone and Malignant Plaguecaster are from the Dark Imperium Box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 100% positive the font on the flavor text is ITC Arid

I'll double check the others, but they're indeed very close.

Edit : I'm sorry, this is rude of me. I'm obsessed with fonts so I thought I'd look into it but if you're fine with what you came up with, I should not come here and try to "correct" your work, which is amazing btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos F.
Spain
Valladolid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other fonts are Zurich XCn BT and Minion Pro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries, I’m happy for advice on improving the cards further. I will have a look at the fonts today in the evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a test file using the fonts you said - however, the free version of Zurich_XCn_BT I found seems to be not the correct one. Letters look too "bold". Also not sure about the correct font sizes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this should be the one - https://www.myfonts.com/font/tilde/zurich/extra-condensed/

The Tilde is not free, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To get the right font size is not too hard. Just scan a sheet from the game, open it in PS/Gimp, create a layer and type the same text as written on the card. This simple technique can also give you the letter-spacing, kerning, etc..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kévin Maillot
msg tools
awesome work! Great contribution to this awesome game. (though I've yet play it )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinyann wrote:
awesome work! Great contribution to this awesome game. (though I've yet play it )
I was just like you, BEFORE I played it. And, if you are just like me, you have never played any version of Warhammer Quest.

Now, I've played it. In doing so, I found that though the game has 3 rulebooks, and a lot of moving parts, nothing is difficult or overly complex. You really don't need to understand everything before playing. Because it plays in rounds and phases. And, you can't make a major mistake or decision early on that affects what happens later on. So, my advice is dive right in and party on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many encounter cards should each of the models have? Should poxwalkers have more than 1 card?

Trying to figure out how many models of each I need to have

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls