DinoGenics» Forums » General

Subject: What components do you like to see improved in the 2nd edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francisco Lorca
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
My bet would be to swap normal coins to metal coins. Those green ones could definitely be improved!

What about you? Maybe Ninth Haven Games will take note for the next KS, who knows. :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakeer Melkhor wrote:
My bet would be to swap normal coins to metal coins. Those green ones could definitely be improved!

What about you? Maybe Ninth Haven Games will take note for the next KS, who knows.

Definitely the coins. It's kind of hard to fault the components otherwise. I signed up for the painted meeples kickstarter though I had to admit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with David, the coins are a weak point. I also think the iconography on the tiles could be easier to figure out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that, whatever components get improved, "the 1st ed backers" should be able to get a kit..

I'm more interested in more content though, TBH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if we should be asking for some kind of extension board to make the game go for more turns. I find it's easy for one player to gain a lead and not be catchable in the 6 actual game rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I wonder if we should be asking for some kind of extension board to make the game go for more turns. I find it's easy for one player to gain a lead and not be catchable in the 6 actual game rounds.
I think that it's better if some other minor improvements in the rules get added. I think the length of the game it's fine.

Reverse player order for instance, last player goes first.. Could that help?

Also some other suggestions already posted in other threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would help if the person with the highest reputation didn't also choose first, but maybe not enough. Not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
All the complaining in this forum about helping the last player is ridiculous.

The game was designed to benefit those who play well.
It's not like the game is very long to begin with.
Keep it that way.

People staying as first player obviously made better decisions than everyone else. They should be rewarded. This isn't some bleeding heart ran organization trying to help people who made mistakes. This is about running a fricking amusement park with creatures that can kill people in a heartbeat with little to no effort. Good decisions should be rewarded. Bad ones punished. That's the style of the game. It's not the only one in the world that does that. There is no runaway leader problem.. you're just playing wrong. Hell there was one game I was first player EVERY TURN and I lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I think it would help if the person with the highest reputation didn't also choose first, but maybe not enough. Not sure.
You mean like in dinosaur island where last place in points chooses first?
Yeah.. still easy to game that system and make sure you loose points when you need to to pick next turn and then surge ahead in points when you don't care any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hatuey Diaz
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While bling is always nice, I would just like some quality of life improvements. Some changes to the building tile iconography would be great but a player aid with all of them listed would be even more useful. That way, I wouldn’t have to check the rule book all the time. All in all though, I was incredibly impressed with the production quality of the game, especially coming from a first timer. This is by far one of my favorite games to play right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like real dinosaurs instead of the wooden ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laladien wrote:
I'd like real dinosaurs instead of the wooden ones.
I'd pay for nice plastic sculpted dinos. But I imagine that would cost a fortune for the moulds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bat
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

Keep it that way.

People staying as first player obviously made better decisions than everyone else. They should be rewarded. This isn't some bleeding heart ran organization trying to help people who made mistakes. This is about running a fricking amusement park with creatures that can kill people in a heartbeat with little to no effort. Good decisions should be rewarded. Bad ones punished. That's the style of the game. It's not the only one in the world that does that. There is no runaway leader problem.. you're just playing wrong. Hell there was one game I was first player EVERY TURN and I lost.

I couldn’t help but laugh a bit here at the level of annamosity in this post, are you sure your not still upset over that loss :D

What your rant isn’t taking into account is there is a fair amount of luck in n the game. What cards you are dealt, what building tiles come up, etc. Most games have a way of mitigating a player starting the game with a luck draw. This game does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batman15 wrote:
corkysru wrote:

Keep it that way.

I couldn’t help but laugh a bit here at the level of annamosity in this post, are you sure your not still upset over that loss

Ha! Maybe a little sore still. I thought I had that one in the bag too. hahah.

batman15 wrote:

What your rant isn’t taking into account is there is a fair amount of luck in n the game. What cards you are dealt, what building tiles come up, etc. Most games have a way of mitigating a player starting the game with a luck draw. This game does not.

Luck is the roll of the die. The cards you draw are fairly situational. But you can get more. Is it possible to get absolutely useless cards every single draw in one game out of a 100? Sure. They are random. That being said most of them are flexible enough to either be played into or used in a way that is helpful. I don't think the element of luck is as important in the card draw as in the dice. And the dice you can ALMOST always avoid if played carefully enough. High risk. High reward.

This game also has more ways to draw cards than most that have that sort of mitigation.

I reiterate This is a game about raising very large sometimes very vicious creatures that can kill with no effort. You're playing with fire. This isn't about shipping grain to some no name town in Europe to appease some no name ruler.

Is the element of luck removed from this game? No. Should it be? No. That's not this game.

batman15 wrote:
Most games have a way of mitigating a player starting the game with a luck draw.
This statement confuses me. Please give examples of ways other games provide methods of overcoming the perfect draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
My only complaint is I'd like the VP number in the corner of the facility tiles to be bigger... a lot bigger! Probably as big as the cost number.

Overall it is a great production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Flores
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. There is NO runaway leader problem. Someone pulling ahead in the game can be easily mitigated by buying a dino even if it doesn't have a proper habitat. So what if it rampages and destroys a fence or damages a building. Just fix it next turn by buying a proper fence setup and enjoy those sweet dino victory points you get every round from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The leader will be buying dinos too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd personally like to see some really BRUTAL Breaking News cards that can cause extreme chaos in the game. Some major Rampage checks would be great. Yes, you can play riskier but it is easy to control the chance of Rampages.

Maybe an alternate game that gives players a chance to start with a dino or two and a couple buildings but then the Breaking News cards could knock you back a bit. Just a thought.

Other than that, more dino types would be my other hope. Get those aquatic creatures into our parks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

I think the key to this game is that IF you're behind, you NEED to play riskier - pure and simple. If you're already behind, you gotta play it risky and hope it pays off. Then you incentivize the person in the lead to do the same.

I had a game last session (2 player) where I was behind the entire time, but it was really close. On the last round, I built a Ptero that I didn't have a home for. I figured it out and as long as it didn't get a skull, I'd come out ahead by a point or two. Not only did it not rampage, I got the smiley face both on placement and on end-of-round. It was a glorious pay off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

I think the key to this game is that IF you're behind, you NEED to play riskier - pure and simple. If you're already behind, you gotta play it risky and hope it pays off. Then you incentivize the person in the lead to do the same.

I had a game last session (2 player) where I was behind the entire time, but it was really close. On the last round, I built a Ptero that I didn't have a home for. I figured it out and as long as it didn't get a skull, I'd come out ahead by a point or two. Not only did it not rampage, I got the smiley face both on placement and on end-of-round. It was a glorious pay off.

I've tried this. Trouble is riskier play is ... well... riskier. You need to be very lucky to pull this off, and even then it depends on how many points your opponent is getting from his plays. After all, he didn't stop playing. The best you can hope for is that he's playing more conservatively, but then he has first pick too so he will probably be making GOOD conservative plays. Even if your riskier plays come off, you won't catch up enough. The more likely result if your risky moves fail, or some of them do, and the results will be falling further behind.

It DOES depend on how lucky you are. And how unlucky the leader is. Some breaking news cards can also help but the leader can get them too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The building tiles were bad, hated it ! the symbols were a pain in the butt . I did not enjoy having to look these up every draw and having to teach new players will not be enjoyable ... maybe on the flip side of the tile they can print what they do ? Something !! Please figure this one out ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no issues with the game in solo. Maybe the next edition will have more solo missions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bat
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
batman15 wrote:
corkysru wrote:

Keep it that way.

I couldn’t help but laugh a bit here at the level of annamosity in this post, are you sure your not still upset over that loss :D

Ha! Maybe a little sore still. I thought I had that one in the bag too. hahah.

batman15 wrote:

Luck is the roll of the die. The cards you draw are fairly situational. But you can get more. Is it possible to get absolutely useless cards every single draw in one game out of a 100? Sure. They are random. That being said most of them are flexible enough to either be played into or used in a way that is helpful. I don't think the element of luck is as important in the card draw as in the dice. And the dice you can ALMOST always avoid if played carefully enough. High risk. High reward.

This game also has more ways to draw cards than most that have that sort of mitigation.

I reiterate This is a game about raising very large sometimes very vicious creatures that can kill with no effort. You're playing with fire. This isn't about shipping grain to some no name town in Europe to appease some no name ruler. :D

Is the element of luck removed from this game? No. Should it be? No. That's not this game.

batman15 wrote:
Most games have a way of mitigating a player starting the game with a luck draw.
This statement confuses me. Please give examples of ways other games provide methods of overcoming the perfect draw.

Dinosaur Island for example has the person with the fewest victory points go first in the next round.

I’ve seen quite a few games of Dinogenics played where one lucky person starts the game with the right cards to make a high rep/VP Dino and no matter how tight everyone else plays, the ability to go first every time makes it difficult to slow them down or even catch them. This doesn’t happen all the time, or even most of the time, but I would estimate it happens in about 25-30% of our games. To me that seems like a flaw. I agree with the person who recommended extending the number of rounds. Many of the times we have had a player jump far ahead turn one, someone manages to “almost” catch them on the last round, but just comes up short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Change the font on the victory point track.

Increase the font size on the buildings or put the title on the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Davis
Australia
Brisbane
Qleensland
flag msg tools
personally I'd just love better reference cards. Big illustrated cards with with all of the important information about the dinosaurs in one place. Especially now that we are adding even more dinos, it would be nice to have them all on one card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |