Popular Tags: music [+] [View All]
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might shake up a few people in the music industry.

Radiohead's new album can only be purchased directly through their site, and you decide what you are willing to pay.

More here:
http://machinist.salon.com/blog/2007/10/01/radiohead/

and here:
http://tinyurl.com/2b4kq2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost as interesting as Radiohead doing this is the thought that compared to other "digital" sales channels they only need to average $1.50 per "sale" to come out ahead.

For bands with a loyal fanbase I am pretty sure that wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
this should really happen with pc games, i would happily pay what they are worth. Music is a bit different to me, i dont want digital files and I dont buy the latest trend so I aint paying so much, really i pay what is fair on avergae 7 euros is very fair i think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:
this should really happen with pc games, i would happily pay what they are worth. Music is a bit different to me, i dont want digital files and I dont buy the latest trend so I aint paying so much, really i pay what is fair on avergae 7 euros is very fair i think.

It's the opposite with me. I prefer my music in digital format. Sure makes storage easy! I do have to worry about keeping backups, but that's easy to do. One copy on the computer and another copy on the iPod. As far as what a song is worth? I'm pretty happy with the iTunes standard of .99 cents a track or 9.99 for an album.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I still buy vinyl. Many recent purchases have come with a coupon stuffed in the sleeve for a free digital download. Not bad at all, seeing as the LPs are cheaper than the CDs usually.

Edit: I should add... if the vinyl is available. It is most of the time. If not I'll opt for CDs.

I find that MP3s sound like doo-doo, even when up-sampling them to CD quality. When digital formats can replace the quality of CD or vinyl I'll adopt it. Yeah, sure... you can use FLAC or WAV... still, not very portable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I pretty much switched over to itunes exclusively about a year ago. Now I will use Amazon - since it's DRM free.

This is great news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I think this sucks.

I like packaging, but I'm more interested in paying $20 for a double CD rather than $80+ for media that I don't need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a CD man too. I also still play my old vinyl.

I think digital formats are fun for when you're on the move or want to do a shuffle play, but compared to CD or vinyl through a decent sytem, the quality is truly dreadful...compressed sounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pay what you like? Try http://magnatune.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the $80 is really just for the hardcore listener, and although I would prefer a hard copy rather than a download, I am impressed and interested in how this ends up working for them. This could end up being a real coup for them, but I am sure the labels are hoping for something else.

There was mention of a cd release in 2008.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Admiral Fisher wrote:
I'm a CD man too. I also still play my old vinyl.

I think digital formats are fun for when you're on the move or want to do a shuffle play, but compared to CD or vinyl through a decent sytem, the quality is truly dreadful...compressed sounds.

So few words, so few things that make any sense.

It has nothing to do with digital formats, but how your typical store sells them. A CD is as digital as a 64kps mp3. One is as awful, the other isn't.

Even if 320kps mp3 is not good enough for you, there's always lossless compression formats that have the same quality as a CD, using half the disk space. Stick all the music in a media server plugged to your sound system, and you can have more music at your fingertips than any 100 CD changer can.

Please, learn a little before you make blanket statements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
kimbo wrote:
jamesdavis wrote:

It's the opposite with me. I prefer my music in digital format. Sure makes storage easy! I do have to worry about keeping backups, but that's easy to do. One copy on the computer and another copy on the iPod. As far as what a song is worth? I'm pretty happy with the iTunes standard of .99 cents a track or 9.99 for an album.

And thats fair enough, I just love seeing my cd collection grow as I get new stuff. I can look at the art, read the booklets etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Even if 320kps mp3 is not good enough for you, there's always lossless compression formats that have the same quality as a CD, using half the disk space. Stick all the music in a media server plugged to your sound system, and you can have more music at your fingertips than any 100 CD changer can.

That's of course all true... however that means 1. I need to buy/build a media server (with a PRO soundcard that sounds as good as the DAC in my SACD player - unlikely) and that would cut into my music budget. 2. I need to sit there and convert all my CDs and LPs to files which is a task that I do not want to do. 3. It is not a huge task to walk to my stereo and change the CD in my single disk player.

I can see the benefits of portable audio, but right now it is it's infancy. When a portable players have enough FLASH memory to hold 1,000's of songs in WAV or Flac then it will be interesting. Then again, I only listen to music in my car and in my home so I don't really need to carry it on my person. I guess it is like the PDA... you don't need one until you own one.

Oh, my phone is a 2mb MP3 player... got it for free with my plan. I never used that feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.