Paul Horvath
United States
san ramon
California
flag msg tools
I'm curious why the automa doesn't prioritize building mines at a range of two or more, instead of adjacent, when most satellites is the final scoring tile. Wouldn't that make sense to maximize the number of satellites placed? Would that make the automa too strong or was it felt that it just didn't make sense to not build adjacent to an existing structure? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horvo wrote:
I'm curious why the automa doesn't prioritize building mines at a range of two or more, instead of adjacent, when most satellites is the final scoring tile. Wouldn't that make sense to maximize the number of satellites placed? Would that make the automa too strong or was it felt that it just didn't make sense to not build adjacent to an existing structure? Thanks

it would have probably be too complicated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Charlap
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
Horvo wrote:

it would have probably be too complicated

I don't think that is the case - make the first condition checked (if the automa action says to follow the most satellites end game) be "not adjacent to a planet/satellite already owned" Obviously, if the automa doesn't have enough nav to reach one of those, it will just go to the next step.

However, they might have found in playtesting that the automa generally got way more satellites than a human player normally does. since the automa doesn't form federations, it basically gets one satellite every time it needs nav2 to place a mine.

As a side note: when playing with this end condition, are you supposed to place the free satellites in the best/worst place for future satellites? For example, placing a satellite that is adjacent to 3 planet clusters will generally reduce the number of satellites the automa gets, while placing them adjacent only to the new mine's cluster will generally increase the satellite count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Selfish
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:

As a side note: when playing with this end condition, are you supposed to place the free satellites in the best/worst place for future satellites? For example, placing a satellite that is adjacent to 3 planet clusters will generally reduce the number of satellites the automa gets, while placing them adjacent only to the new mine's cluster will generally increase the satellite count.

You place the satellite if the new mine is not adjacent to any other Automa's planet, no matter if there's another structure connected through an existing satellite.
In general, satellites are placed for the automa just for reference, I wouldn't give them any meaning except for end game scoring purposes. You might as well place them on the planet itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.