Subject: What is on the other side of that gate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathon Johnson
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hello all-

So if your mission was to go to the Caverns of Cynder and you are in the Mines and there is one other Other World, the Derelict Ship, are you able to just...

...walk up next to the next Gate you found and 'Look Through it" and if the Other World is not the Caverns of Cynder, you can turn around and walk away and go look for another Gate since you did not enter the Gate and perform Step 3 - Room Exploration?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Stuffing Beavers for Over Thirty Years
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't required to go thru the portal, but once you look you have to place a room tile AND an exploration token. That exploration token won't flip until someone actually steps thru and enters the room though (unlike other explore tokens which flip at the end of the round).

So yes, you could just walk away, but that explore token is stuck in that unexplored room...

- John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's correct. However, most missions that require you to go to a certain Otherworld will have a special rule that all gates lead to that world.

I have a related question:

What happens if a fight starts while there is an unrevealed Exploration Token on the other side of a gate. If a hero steps through the gate during the fight, does the token get revealed mid-fight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The exploration phase is still a part of every round, there is no exception for fights. The restriction is on the action to look through a doorway to setup a new tile and potential exploration token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rpvt wrote:
The exploration phase is still a part of every round, there is no exception for fights. The restriction is on the action to look through a doorway to setup a new tile and potential exploration token.

I agree that's what the rules seem to say, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Would you then process encounters during the fight? What if it has a clue that turns out to be the final objective room?

I think the rule should be that you can enter the tile, but the token doesn't flip until the fight is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that works for you, then there seems to really be little impact. But since there will be nothing in the Otherworld, are you trying to retreat there? There's little reason why encounters wouldn't trigger in the middle of a fight. Sure, some are storyish, but some aren't. And if you're worried about triggering the final fight while you have another going on, just don't go in yet. Since it's your choice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody emailed me the rule. It IS in the book -- I just couldn't find it.

Page 23 (or 25 in Forbidden Fortress): "Searching and Room Exploration may not be done during a fight."

So I guess you could still enter the tile, but you just wouldn't flip over the token until the fight ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
Somebody emailed me the rule. It IS in the book -- I just couldn't find it.

Page 23 (or 25 in Forbidden Fortress): "Searching and Room Exploration may not be done during a fight."

So I guess you could still enter the tile, but you just wouldn't flip over the token until the fight ends.

This is correct. Exploration tokens are never revealed if there are enemy models on the map. In that case, you would finish the fight, resolve your end-of-combat effects (such as Catching Your Breath and handing out loot), then start a new turn. At the end of that turn, you would reveal the Exploration token (unless you found a way to spawn more enemies like snake eyes on the HbtD roll or a bad scavenge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Johnson
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hey Ken-

Yeah no idea on the '...all gates lead to that world.' - for this question, this is just a made-up example.

Was just wondering that if you had in the Other World deck - Caverns of Cynder and The Derelict Ship - and you wanted to go to the Caverns of Cynder, could you just go up to the Gate and look through it - which would put a map tile and exploration token down (which is not revealed until you step on the map tile and do a Step 3 - Room Exploration)?

Was wondering this for my YouTube channel so I don't misinform.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're never compelled to keep travelling down any route. Normal exploration is kind of mandatory (given some exceptions). But since you have to actually pass through the gate to get to an other world you can see what's there and go a different route. Some missions this may be quicker (i.e. there's at least one mission where roll against the number of placed rooms, so peeking down a path may be quicker than exploring).

A different situation, but quite often at a crossroads, if we've not substantially entered the room, it's quicker to go to another branch than travel all the way through.

Obviously if you're seeking out clue tokens, you run the risk of missing one if you leave it there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. T.
Germany
Kassel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Need to play more Shadows of Brimstone!
badge
Really!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
LearnToPlaythrough wrote:
(which is not revealed until you step on the map tile and do a Step 3 - Room Exploration)?

Hi Jonathon, when you explore a map tile the exploration token will be revealed after all heroes ended their activation. Then you have to flip the token and resolve any encounters/attacks. The hero who explored the map tile always have to stop movement on the puzzle connection.

Here ist the part in the rulebook covering your problem:
Once the Map Tile is placed, the Hero that looked through
the Door will be standing in a puzzle connection space that is
half on each Map Tile. As noted above, a Hero on a puzzle
connection space like this is considered to be on BOTH Map
Tiles. This means that during the Room Exploration step of the
turn (after all Heroes have Activated), this Exploration Token
will be revealed as there will be at least one Hero on the Map
Tile with it.

edit: I haven't considered throwing some dynamite at that guy standing at the portal to knock him out. Seems legit
If you blow him up, no one is on the map tile after all Heroes have activated. Problem solved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ken-

Yeah no idea on the '...all gates lead to that world.' - for this question, this is just a made-up example.

Was just wondering that if you had in the Other World deck - Caverns of Cynder and The Derelict Ship - and you wanted to go to the Caverns of Cynder, could you just go up to the Gate and look through it - which would put a map tile and exploration token down (which is not revealed until you step on the map tile and do a Step 3 - Room Exploration)?

Was wondering this for my YouTube channel so I don't misinform.

Cheers

Any mission that requires you to go to a specific world will include an "all gates lead to X" special rule.

In the case that the Other Worlds aren't specified (ie the basic A Few Darkstone More mission) but you want to go to a specific one, you may need to open multiple gates. You can just stick your head through and see what world is there without going through. If you luck out and find a passage, there's no Exploration token to worry about. But if there's a room, then not entering that world will leave an Exploration token unrevealed, which might leave a clue marker unrevealed. It might also leave another gate token unrevealed.

As for going through the gate vs continuing in the mines, there's no real reason to bypass the OW unless you don't like it's special rules/enemies. Whether you continue in the mines or the OW, you will keep drawing Exploration tokens and might find another gate.

But if you really want to visit a specific world, go visit Targa few times. There are several crystal artifacts that could help you. One lets you add a gate anywhere, and another lets you choose the OW on the other side of a gate. Get both and you could go straight from the Mine Entrance to whatever world you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Johnson
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hey J.T.

long time...

It seems people here are losing track on my main focus.

There is no combat and there is a gate (so no connecting spaces).

It is simple...

- You walk up to a gate.

- You look through the gate - which puts a new tile (and an upsidedown Exploration Token) of the Other World that is on the other side.

- You then decide if you want to pass through the gate to the other side which at that time you would flip the Exploration Token to see what you get.

- But it is not the Other World I want, so I just turn around and walk away.

So it looks like as long as you don't enter through the gate and flip that Exploration Token, you can walk away.

So sounds good to me.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. T.
Germany
Kassel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Really!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jonathon, it's really a long time.

That's the part where you don't follow the rules. If you take a look through the gate, your move will end on the puzzle connection and you count beeing on both tiles (including the one with the exploration token) and you can't walk away anymore. That's the part my dynamite joke is about. Nuke the guy standing on the puzzle connection or you have to resolve the exploration token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Why
msg tools
- You walk up to a gate.

- You look through the gate - which puts a new tile (and an upsidedown Exploration Token) of the Other World that is on the other side.

- You then decide if you want to pass through the gate to the other side which at that time you would flip the Exploration Token to see what you get.

So it looks like as long as you don't enter through the gate and flip that Exploration Token, you can walk away.

That's exactly how it works. You have to enter the gate to flip the exploration token. But if you have no interest in that otherworld, you csn simply ignore that gate and keep exploring the mines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. T.
Germany
Kassel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Really!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Panner wrote:
- You walk up to a gate.

That's exactly how it works. You have to enter the gate to flip the exploration token. But if you have no interest in that otherworld, you csn simply ignore that gate and keep exploring the mines.

Sorry but this is not correct.

Read page 13 from the Rulebook:
Once the Map Tile is placed, the Hero that looked through
the Door will be standing in a puzzle connection space
that is
half on each Map Tile. As noted above, a Hero on a puzzle
connection space like this is considered to be on BOTH Map
Tiles. This means that during the Room Exploration step of the
turn (after all Heroes have Activated), this Exploration Token
will be revealed as there will be at least one Hero on the Map
Tile with it

Of course you can then walk away but you have to resolve the exploration token first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He is talking about a portal, not a door

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. T.
Germany
Kassel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Really!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my fault. Sometimes you can't remember the basic rules. I have to play more often I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls