Subject: Different strategies/Dependancy on cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So ive played this a few times now, mainly they have been close games, but wee have played one or two where one player has simply stormed to a massive win due to major luck with cards they have drawn.

A good example was my game this morning, i managed to pull perfect vine cards that made up the numbers exactly with a great mix of red and white grapes, while 2 other players were simply drawing the same color each and every time, meaning the fulfilment cards could not be completed.

I have spoken to them about the possibility of maybe trying to gain victory points by selling high cost grapes, and playing lots of visitor cards and concentrate on that rather than waiting a few years to see if they would get better grape cards.

Is this a viable way of winning(selling grapes/playing visitor cards/holding tours)?

The main strategy for us all so far has been to try and fulfil orders to gain victory points...

Are there other ways of winning that we may be missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can win in the base game with visitor cards and other ways to gain points.
But I suggest you get Tuscany expansion and playing with the new board.
You can take an action where you may exchange your "poor" cards for other cards so you mitigate the un-luck of the draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:

The main strategy for us all so far has been to try and fulfil orders to gain victory points...

Are there other ways of winning that we may be missing?

Lots! This game is not about drawing cards until you get what you want, it's about choosing your approach based on the cards you actually get. If you waste a bunch of the game drawing more cards in the hope of getting something specific, you will lose. This game is as much about card management as it is about worker placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you still think the card draw is unbalanced after more plays, there's a few house rules I've heard of that might help.

The key thing about the house rule is: draw one extra card than what is indicated.

So if you're supposed to draw 2 vine cards, draw 3. If you're supposed to draw 1 Summer visitor and a 1 Winter visitor, draw those, then pick Summer or Winter and draw one more card.

In one variant of this rule, you then discard down to the number of cards you were originally supposed to draw. In another, you keep all the cards (and still discard down to 7 at the end of the year).

It's just a simple way to not get hosed by the card draw - but, as Stephen says, the whole game is about playing to the cards you draw, instead of trying to draw the cards you've planned for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles de Rais
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry to barge in with something unrelated, but I was curious about the Avatar of Max Maximus, it looks very much like our belfry in Bruges.
So is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Small Axe
United States
Aurora
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
That house rule is an interesting approach to mitigating luck factor, which is one of this games weaknesses imho. We use a similar house rule for vine cards only, mainly where players can choose to draw the face up discard (and there is always a face up discard), or draw blind. Still, I like the idea of always drawing two cards and choosing. More options, more choices, less luck. Glad I read this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GladiatorGr wrote:
You can take an action where you may exchange your "poor" cards for other cards so you mitigate the un-luck of the draw.

Where is this action? I must have missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Strewth78 wrote:
GladiatorGr wrote:

Where is this action? I must have missed it.

On the Tuscany board this is in the Summer: Trade One for One. You can trade:
Any two cards (can also trade any 2 cards to get any 2 cards)
3 Lira
1 VP
L1 red/white grape. (can trade out any level grape, can trade red for white, but can only receive L1 grape)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a-ha. I always assumed you had to trade for a different item, so 2 cards for 3 lira or 1 vp or a grape.

blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Strewth78 wrote:
a-ha. I always assumed you had to trade for a different item, so 2 cards for 3 lira or 1 vp or a grape.

blush

Yup, it's great for dumping no longer useful cards to fish for other card types. If you hit the bonus spot, it's nice to cycle 2 cards and then do it again if necessary. You can seek out up to 4 vine cards or wine orders this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravazul wrote:

Sorry to barge in with something unrelated, but I was curious about the Avatar of Max Maximus, it looks very much like our belfry in Bruges.
So is it?

Indeed it is, sent you a PM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Bode
United Kingdom
Manchester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In my games I have noticed two very general types of wins.

People who started early with small little point gains and kept that going throughout the game - the Weeny strategy. They mainly focus on the visitor cards, the stars on the extended boards, buildings that give points, turning coins and cards into victory points and filling small orders often.

The other strategy is people that go for the big wins with filling wine orders. They tend to farm the Wine order cards to get better cards and fill those bigger orders. They extend their fields and cellars early to have those big wines and champagnes. Filling 3 or 4 of these big orders is usually a game win. The Maxi approach.

We have also people who do bits of both and get wins but generally its not as strong as the people who invest in one.

I'd also add that I see Maxi wins more often that Weeny ones, but that might be down to the skills of the players. I'd say Maxi needs less skill and less balancing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Sturdee
msg tools
Interesting to read all these ideas. I have had a similar experience, and love the game apart from the volatility in the first 2 or 3 turns that leads to a 15 point victory.

Most of the games I have played it has been a select few visitor cards and the starting Mumma & Pappa cards, mainly the extra worker, and thus I have removed the 2 extra worker starting cards to see if it is effective in limiting the volatility.

I also considered making a rule that you cannot play visitor cards in year 1.

My concern with drawing extra cards is you can sift through more cards to get the ones you know will give you a great start. I will give it a go though.

Currently waiting on delivery of Tuscany Expansion, so hopefully this will also help balance it a touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer P
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yesterday we played the "Visit from the Rhine Valley" expansion for the first time - also a great improvement on the standard visitor cards.

But in the end you still need some luck to get suitable cards... building the cottage early to see more visitor cards surely helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.